Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

how will AE work on my pc?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> how will AE work on my pc? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
how will AE work on my pc? - 7/10/2008 10:48:13 PM   
quertice

i'm worried about 3ghz suggested requirement,my pc is quite old and i can't change it

windows xp
sempron 3400+ 2ghz (2ghz,but it is a sempron...)
1gb ram

i think pbem games will be playable without any problems,but how much will it be slow to play with AI?

i can only increase my ram to 1,5 gb

Post #: 1
RE: how will AE work on my pc? - 7/10/2008 11:04:05 PM   
Terminus

It'll work. A bit slowly, but it'll work.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to quertice)
Post #: 2
RE: how will AE work on my pc? - 7/11/2008 12:29:29 AM   
Gem35

The tiny FSB on semprons alone will make things go slowly but you will be able to play the game as T stated.
Best thing you can do is get that extra RAM but it won't be that noticeable in reality.
You might want to look into upgrading your CPU, you can get a faster one from ebay for a few dollars.
Depends on your motherboard, which one do you have out of curiosity.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: how will AE work on my pc? - 7/11/2008 5:09:28 AM   
wdolson

I'm doing programming work on AE on machines that have less horsepower than yours.  One machine is 1.3 GHz and the other is 1.0 Ghz.  The processor speed is not an issue. 

Having the most RAM you can will help.  Though 1 GB should be OK.  I have 1.5 GB on one machine and 2.0 GB on the other.

The requirements for AE need to be changed.  I did some analysis and made my recommendations for requirements, but I guess they haven't been put up on the site yet.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 4
RE: how will AE work on my pc? - 7/11/2008 8:40:10 AM   
Przemcio231

And how will it work on
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHZ with 2GB of Ram??:)

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: how will AE work on my pc? - 7/11/2008 8:33:17 PM   
wdolson

About the same as WitP I on the same machine.  I've observed AE turn processing about 10%-15% longer than stock.  I didn't notice any difference until I compared them with a stop watch.

Bill

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 6
RE: how will AE work on my pc? - 7/12/2008 1:28:28 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I'm doing programming work on AE on machines that have less horsepower than yours.  One machine is 1.3 GHz and the other is 1.0 Ghz.  The processor speed is not an issue. 

Having the most RAM you can will help.  Though 1 GB should be OK.  I have 1.5 GB on one machine and 2.0 GB on the other.

The requirements for AE need to be changed.  I did some analysis and made my recommendations for requirements, but I guess they haven't been put up on the site yet.

Bill

I will argue that processor speed "could" be an issue.
I went from a 1.3 duron with small fsb and 1 GB ram to an Intel dual-core rig with 2 Gb ram, both using windows XP and my new PC easily reduces turn length by several minutes playing vanilla WitP.
I am guessing AE will be a bit more demanding.
Sure you can play the game just fine with older technology but you will spend less time watching the messages scroll with a newer PC.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 7
RE: how will AE work on my pc? - 7/12/2008 4:08:31 AM   
Admiral Scott

I have an AMD dual core at 2.2 with 2 gigs of ram.
Will it run good with my sytem?
And will the dual core make a difference?

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 8
RE: how will AE work on my pc? - 7/12/2008 12:09:00 PM   
wdolson

The dual core will not make any more difference than the current game does.  Essentially, whatever you're seeing now with WitP, AE will be about 10% slower.  So if you have a hot machine that can crunch a turn in 2 minutes, add about 12 seconds.  If your machine takes 10 minutes, add a minute.

The only hardware issue that is any different is RAM.  AE uses a fair chunk more memory than stock.  One of the testers has managed to get it to work under Windows ME with 512MB of RAM, but that's really squeezing the game on there.  I've tested it on several of my systems and 1 GB is the minimum I found that worked.  Something in between 512MB and 1 GB may work, but I haven't tested that.

So if WitP runs on your computer and you have 1 GB of RAM or more, expect AE to run fine on the computer.  I'm sure everyone will be impressed with the additional features we were able to get in there with only the modest performance hit.  (As the latecomer on the team, I'm very impressed with what the programmers did before I came on board.  Lot's of cool stuff.)

Bill

(in reply to Admiral Scott)
Post #: 9
RE: how will AE work on my pc? - 7/12/2008 5:30:16 PM   
rockmedic109

2.5 years ago, I went from a 3.0-512RAM {May have been 384, my memory is fading} Toshiba to an Alienware m5500 with 2.26 Pent M and 2 GB of RAM.  Performance was phenomenal.  Turns were easily cut in half and sometimes a little more.  I used to be able to read a book during the planning phase and at the end of the turn.  There is no time to do so now.  I have nothing to back up my thoughts, but I've always credited the increase in RAM for the increase in performance.

Setting orders for the turn will take longer, I am sure.  Far more bases.  More geography to cover.

The more I read about AE, the more jazzed I am getting over it.  The more jazzed I get, the more I come to the forum to read about it.  By the time it shows up, I will have three hairs left on my head, huge bloodshot eyes that look like they've been open for 45 years straight and hands too jittery to push the power button on my computer.................wait, that pretty much describes me now.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 10
RE: how will AE work on my pc? - 7/12/2008 5:39:16 PM   
quertice

that 3ghz required has worried me,now i feel better

i'm going to play with AI only some limited scenarios(grand campaign on pbem),so i shouldn't have problems for loading time...

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> how will AE work on my pc? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI