Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New healthy me!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New healthy me! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 7:35:16 PM   
Paul Vebber

About 8 months ago a series of circumstances convinced me I had to lose weight and get in shape. Breaking the 250 barrier and needing to rebuy my wardrobe in 42 waist pants were part of it, as was not being able to keep up with my 16 year old son and 14 year old daughter.

I set what seemed an impossible golal "for S&Gs" back the beginning of november to get back down to what I was when I was 26 (175) by my 46th birthday. Even getting halfway would be a victory.

For whatever reason the "lifestyle change" clicked, and as the needle of the scale started to move I got more energy, causing the needle to move faster and a snowball effect set in.

I went from being able to run about 10 yards to being able to run a 10K in under 50 min. The transformation has been life changing, and while 250 may not sound like that heavy, Weighing in at 173.4 this morning (tomorrow is my birthday) and being able to wear my son's 32in pants (compared to my 42 "Jared Jeans") has dramatically changed my life for the better.

Part of my motivation was a chart of my weight I kept (attached)

So now I start what will hopefully be the second half of my life (90 is a ripe old age to me...) with the clock reset - in the best shape I've been in in my life, and much happier outlook on things.

1 hour a day with your heartrate up, and eating healthy! The way to go! The best birthday present I've gotten - losing 78lbs!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 7:41:59 PM   
cdbeck

Congratulations!

I weigh-in at 158 but I am only 5'7'', so I really need to lose about 10-20lbs for my BMI. We got a Wii Fit and that keeps track of the weight chart, but the excercises are a bit low-impact to actually help achieve this goal. My eating habits are also a little negative, I don't eat junk food or fast food, but I tend to eat large portions, lots of carbs, and desserts more often than I should. I wish I had my high school and college motabolism back...

But if you can do it Paul, particularly as dramatically as you did, then I feel I can do it too! Thanks for the inspiration and congratulations on having a healthy life back!

SoM 

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 7:55:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

Paul,

That's remarkable, great job! I've been thinking of getting my act together in the same way fitness-wise. I used to run cross-country and track, but years of a desk job have changed my physique completely.

I think the toughest part is probably going to be the first two weeks. Any tips on how you got past that to get on a roll?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 3
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 8:15:42 PM   
Joram

Congratulations!  Did you have to change your diet alot or was it just pure exercise?  I hate running with a passion (ironic since I've been a soccer player for most my life) so I've had trouble staying in routines. 

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 9:01:20 PM   
JudgeDredd

Paul

That's magnificent. You are to be heartily congratulated.

I too have struggled with my weight over the years trying all sorts of different things, but if the mind isn't with you, then it's a losing battle.

There are pictures of me on here somewhere (here actually)...270lbs and 5'10"...cardiac arrest material and my dad died at the early age of 56 of a heart attack, so I'm prime heart failure material, and yet I still cannot lay off those chocolate bars.

No-one to blame but myself.

But well done. That's a magnificent achievement and you never know...your success may well spur other people on.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 5
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 9:06:29 PM   
wernerpruckner

congratulations !!!!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 9:07:57 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber
I went from being able to run about 10 yards to being able to run a 10K in under 50 min. The transformation has been life changing, and while 250 may not sound like that heavy, Weighing in at 173.4 this morning (tomorrow is my birthday) and being able to wear my son's 32in pants (compared to my 42 "Jared Jeans") has dramatically changed my life for the better.

It's always great to hear a motivational success story like that. Well...almost always. If you had said that being able to fit into your daughter's pants, changed your life for the better, I suppose I would have been a bit...disturbed...

Congratulations!

Post #: 7
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 9:20:38 PM   
Halsey

Good for you!

Now me, I'll have a Triple Whopper a King Fry and a "Diet Coke".
The diet drink balances everything else out.

Post #: 8
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 9:25:01 PM   
Goblin

Way to go Paul!

You should be very proud of your determination and commitment!

Goblin

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 9
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 9:28:30 PM   
Terminus

Slimming down seems to be a spreading phenomenon around this place. I broke 260 a couple of months ago, and decided enough was enough. I've lost 20 pounds since then, and the numbers are continuing to go down.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 10
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 9:34:21 PM   
06 Maestro

Excellent job! These days it has become popular to get the stomach stapled so that it becomes impossible to eat. I know of a couple of guys that have had that done. Neither one has achieved a "normal" physique in over 3 years. The end results still come down to the individuals choices about diet and exercise. You did it the right way-congratulations.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 11
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 9:41:47 PM   
Paul Vebber

The first 3 weeks were tough, but the 4th week the needle started to move for me and that got my motivation up. I have to admit that I started several times in the past and got demoralized in that first month and gave up. One of the best things I got was a body composition measuring scale

http://www.homedics.com/products/scales/healthstation-body-composition-scanner-350-lb-capacity.html

It gives your weight, and sends electrical impulses (you can't feel) to estimate your %body fat, basal metabolism, %body water, and % muscle mass. Its about 5% accurate in absolute terms, but the difference it measures is accurate to less than 1%, so if it says you ar 17.4% body fat, that may be a little off (becasue it uses index tables based on your height, fitness leve, age and sex) but the change you track is VERY accurate. I got it about halfway through and I've gone from about 23% body fat to under 16 and my muscle mass from 37 and change to over 41. I would say a regular scale is fine when starting off, but as you get into it and start smelling success, - and especially for maintainance - a scale like that is great becasue once your weight is stable, you can still measure the transition from fat to muscle.

The big thing is combining diet and excercise, but in moderation. I started off doing 3 days of limited calorie intake and excercise and then taking a day off. After the first month I cut that back to 1 day a week, but frankly if you are eating in the 1500-1750 cal/day range and working out 500cal per day, pigging out one day (even if you eat 6000cal) your body can't metabolize all of it into fat in one day. I found working in weekly rates worked better than daily rates. 12,000 cal per week in food intake is 1500 cal per day six days a week and a 3000cal "day off".

I proved to myself that the laws of physics do indeed work. If I limited myself to 12,000 cal per week with a basal metabolism of ~1800 (and assuming a "general sitting around" expediture of ~400 per day), then right there is on the order of 15,500 and 1 lb per week (3500cal/lb). 600cal of exercise (That is about an hour walking fast with hand weights, depending on your weight) 6 days a week knocks off another pound AND feeds back into the metabolism...

The other big thing is a "just do it" attitude and not being overly competititve with yourself. I failed in the past becasue I would twist or strain something trying to reach a goal I was not ready for. So i went VERY slow and adjusted my speed and time goal after two weeks of "boring" myself with "easy" workouts.

In March When i went to Japan I started using the gym and doing 20 min on the Rowing machine, 20 on the bike and 20 on the elliptical. Not pushing myself too hard, using the heartrate monitoring features to get my heart rate up to 125-130 for at least half of each interval. I do 15 min of complementary weight excersices between (pushing with my arms after the rower, working my 'pulling' leg muscles and abs after the bike.

Now I once a week I do my "aerobic tri-athlon" 40 min on each try to better my total calorie expenditure in 2 hours - I'm over 2000! I have a running 20$ bet with my 16 year old son to beat me - so far he got about 10 minutes on the rowing machine and declared it "way too boring"... At least 3 other days a week I do 20 min on each, and twice a week (sometimes 2) I run 5 miles (down to 44:40) training for a 5 mile race in August. My goal is to break 40min (8min miles). ANd still make sure to take at least 1 day off (often its 2 just becasue of schedule.)

Amazing where I've come in 4 months - and I was a certified excercise hating couch potato... Just took the 2 hours I used to spending sitting wasting time around after i get home from work and spend it at the gym. The family likes eating later (7-7:30) and there is still time to putz around or watch prime time TV (Or the Red Sox). Its just a question of habitulizing devoting 2 hours a day to yourself (just 1 starting out).

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 7/7/2008 9:43:14 PM >

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 12
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 9:59:49 PM   
RedArgo

Good job Paul. That is not an easy thing to do.

Starting about 2 1/2 years ago I lost about 40 lbs up until about a year ago where I leveled off. My plan was to lay off the snacks, which I was doing 500-700 calories a day at work (Pepsi and M&Ms), and start walking on a treadmill. I started at 1/2 hour a day and now do 1 hour a day 4 or 5 days a week. What allowed me to keep going was wireless headphones and putting the treadmill in front of the TV. I haven't had too much trouble keeping going since I would probably be watching TV anyway.

Bill

Post #: 13
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 10:13:47 PM   
Warfare1

Great job!

For most people starting out, it doesn't take a gym or even fancy equipment.

Just 30-40 minutes a day.... just start walking... take the dog, the kids, and.... walk....

Breath in the fresh air.

Then start walking a little then running a few steps... and alternate.

Then add in a few push-ups, a few sit-ups, and a few deep-knee bends...

Then buy a pair of dumbbells (15 Ibs). Do arm curls, overhead presses, rowing exercise, etc....

Switch from ice-cream to yogurt; from white bread to whole wheat bread; from candy bars to fruit; from fast food to cooking at home....

Start slow... and do it every day... you will be amazed at the results....

Post #: 14
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 11:22:13 PM   
jesperpehrson

Good work Paul!

I am starting down that road as well. Started walking two months ago and now I am running 7-10 kilometers nearly every day. I still can´t match your pace but I am getting faster every time I go out. I used to hate running but now I am actually longing to out for a run...it´s addictive after the first few times.

My motivation is a 30 km race in September. I will make it all the way round or at least die trying .

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 15
RE: New healthy me! - 7/7/2008 11:30:37 PM   
Arctic Blast

Wow! Congratulations, Paul! As someone who is painfully realizing I do not, at nearly 32, have the metabolism I had when I was 22, I have also recently started getting my butt in gear in terms of dropping some poundage, as well.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to jesperpehrson)
Post #: 16
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 12:39:20 AM   
Gem35

I dropped a bunch of weight as well, All I did was eat healthy(my cardiologist says fins and feathers or fish and chicken) and a brisk hour-long walk everyday.
You don't need to work out like Rocky to get in shape. According to my uncle(he is a pediatrician) my cardiologist and my primary Doc, they all agree walking is the best exercise to get fit.
great job folks, let's all keep it up(ok ok, I do enjoy a few beers every now and then)

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 17
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 1:38:50 AM   
sabre1

Congratulations Paul, oustanding dedication and discipline. 

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 18
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 3:35:17 AM   
Reiryc

Great news...  How about some before and after pics?

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 19
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 4:27:41 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

....Breaking the 250 barrier and....Weighing in at 173.4 this morning (tomorrow is my birthday)....

Great job, Vebber! Congratulations! And happy birthday!

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Post #: 20
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 7:21:26 AM   
JudgeDredd

Yes...it's your birthday today now...happy birthday m8.

Some going...78lbs in 8 months

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 21
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 11:46:46 AM   
Marc von Martial

Congrats Paul, I'm actually on the same route since a year. Not as fast as you but I want to take it a tad more slowly.

quote:

and while 250 may not sound like that heavy,

Actually it is heavy considering an average height around 6''1'

quote:

Any tips on how you got past that to get on a roll?

Start with a few exercises. Let's say pushups in two variations and crunches. Put them in your daily scedule, no excuses. When you do them does not matter. Just do them. Why pushups and crunches? Because if you ever had done some workout before the muscles rebuilt amazingly fast and you see a lot of sucess in the first two weeks already (example: I started out with 15, after 2 weeks I was already at 50), that alone is enough motivation to start other things, which you can do if you made the first 4 weeks. For those with a lot of weight I highly recommend swimming and cycling. Walking or even running might be not so good for the knees especially if untrained. Your knees already get their daily strain from carrying all that overweight ;)

As for the eating part, try to count your calories roughly, do not think much about carbs, protein and whatnot, eat what you want and what you like, you need to sty happy and motivated in the first placea, try switching to fish and poultry. For the start just try to roughly count your daily calories. There are online calcs out there that can estimate your daily minimum calory needs based on your daily job etc.. Try to stay 500-700 calories below that, but not less then 1200 calories. Try staying below 40 gramm of daily fat. Making eating a sceduled habbit. E.g. do have breakfast, do have lunch and do have dinner. With some healty snacks inbetween (eg. fruit). For those with bad and unregular eating habbits this is the worst part of the job ;). But it really pays off. Again, do not accept any excuses like "I'm busy right now". Once a week do not care about all the above and reward yourself with whatever you want food wise.

Sticking to this I managed to loose 14 Kilogramm in the last 14 month, considering that I rebuilt a lot of muscles back during this time too you can imagine how much this actually reshapped the body. 1 Kilo a month is a very healthy rate to loose weight as it does not backfire when you get more lax on the calories and sports again. Additionally the switch is not that hard at this rate too. And I do not need to stay away from the one or other beer

Build muscles, eat more consciously at home (get rid of that fast food crap and fat loaden snacks) and make the daily workout (even if it is only 10 minutes of pushups and crunches etc., just do something) and meals a part of your scedule. That alone will get you back on track.

Right now I'm back to three to two times a week mountainbiking (which I did very actively 5 years ago) and basic home workouts on a daily basis.

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 7/8/2008 11:57:13 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 22
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 11:57:56 AM   
Marc von Martial

And Happy Birthday Paul

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 23
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 1:43:53 PM   
105mm Howitzer

A 21 Gun salute to you, sir...Job well done. I myself have embarked on that stopped smoking stuff. Day 4 and so far, so good.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 24
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 2:40:56 PM   
Joshuatree

Hats off to you Sir! 

You know, being addicted to sports myself for the past 30 years now... I do have *very* much respect for those who manage to change their life styles, lose weight and become fitter and healthier.
And you know what? Your wife won't complain too.

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 25
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 8:21:15 PM   
Jeffrey H.

If only I could stop drinking so much beer.......I could make it myself. GAH ! the one thing I truly enjoy.

WTG on your weight loss, a serious committment and a hugely positive result.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 26
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 8:44:44 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

Switch from ice-cream to yogurt; from white bread to whole wheat bread; from candy bars to fruit; from fast food to cooking at home....

Very true. My work (block/brick mason - concrete finisher) is seasonal, and I am off all winter, when I tend to insulate with pie (tastes better than Thinsulate) . I generally shoot upwards in winter to around 248 pounds (at 6'3"). In the summer, when work starts and we are hustling, I do exactly what Warfare1 stated. That, combined with the exercise while working allows me to get to around 220. I am at 225 right now after reaching 252 at the end of May. Now if only I could lay off of the pie during the holidays...

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 27
RE: New healthy me! - 7/8/2008 8:46:01 PM   
Goblin

Happy Birthday Paul.

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 28
RE: New healthy me! - 7/9/2008 12:20:15 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

Very true. My work (block/brick mason - concrete finisher) is seasonal, and I am off all winter, when I tend to insulate with pie (tastes better than Thinsulate) . I generally shoot upwards in winter to around 248 pounds (at 6'3"). In the summer, when work starts and we are hustling, I do exactly what Warfare1 stated. That, combined with the exercise while working allows me to get to around 220. I am at 225 right now after reaching 252 at the end of May. Now if only I could lay off of the pie during the holidays...

I used to be a huge junk food and candy lover.

But I changed my eating habits and lifestyle and now I have lost my taste for this type of food. Once I started eating right my body actually recognized and craved good food.

I lost 30-40 lbs and have kept it off for years.

And age is no factor. I am 53 years old and I still do the following every other day:

* 50 push-ups (10x5)
* 50 deep-knee bends (10x5)
* 100 sit-ups
* 50 side bends
* 50 arm curls with 30 lb dumbbells (10x5)
* 30 shoulder shrugs with 30 lb dumbbells (10x3)
* 30 overhead presses with 30 lb dumbbells (10x3)
* 10 minutes on the rowing machine
* 5 km walk/run

It sounds like a lot but I built up to it over several months. Now it's so easy to do.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 7/9/2008 12:27:19 AM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 29
RE: New healthy me! - 7/9/2008 1:09:08 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Ahhhh, pie !!!

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New healthy me! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI