Bo Rearguard's Nato Unit Icons

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, campaign design and general game modding. You can also post your scenarios and modifications here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

bschulte1978

Bo Rearguard's Nato Unit Icons

Post by bschulte1978 »

Guys,

In anticipation of hosting Bo's NATO icons mod very, very shortly, I've created a thread where you can ask the mod author questions and post feedback for him. Additional info can be found in my thread about hosting mods at the Macon Armory, but I'd ask that you post all comments/questions/concerns here for clarity.
bschulte1978

RE: Bo Rearguard's Nato Unit Icons

Post by bschulte1978 »

Here's the ReadMe file from the mod:

---GGWBTS Nato unit mod----07/05/08----   This mod replaces the current NATO unit set for Gary Grigsby's War between the States. It'll replace the current set of Nato art Targa (tga) files in your GGWBTS/dat/art/unit folder     After downloading this mod, unzip them into a sub-folder . (Call the sub-folder what you like, but use something that defines what the mod is)   Make a back-up copy of your GGWBTS/dat/art/unit subdirectory. Save it somewhere else in the folder as 'oldunits' or something that will make it easy to recover if you want the old Nato unit or naval unit art back.   Copy the files you downloaded and unzipped into the GGWBTS/dat/art/unit folder overwriting the old files when prompted.   When you start the game you should change your ghame preferences to Nato units to see the modded units.   The game only uses one set of naval art for both unit sets, so if you want the old 3-D ship art back, recover the following files from your backed-up (oldunits) folder and overwrite them into your GGWBTS/dat/art/unit subdirectory:   confed_gunboat_fleet.tga confed_heavy_fleet.tga confed_ironclad_fleet.tga confed_transport_fleet.tga   Union_Gunboat_Fleet.tga Union_Heavy_Fleet.tga Union_Ironclad_Fleet.tga Union_Transport_Fleet.tga   Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the mod. :-)   --Bo   * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *   This is a complete list of the targa art files this mod changes.   confed_gunboat_fleet.tga confed_heavy_fleet.tga confed_ironclad_fleet.tga confed_transport_fleet.tga   N_Cart.tga N_CartB.tga N_CartBx128.tga   N_Ccal.tga N_CcalB.tga N_CcalBx128.tga   N_CcalU.tga N_CcalUB.tga N_CcalUBx128.tga   N_CHart.tga N_CHartB.tga N_CHartBx128.tga   N_CHQ.tga N_CHQB.tga N_CHQx128.tga   N_Cinf.tga N_CinfBx128.tga N_CinfUB.tga N_CinfUBx128.tga   N_CSply.tga N_CSplyB.tga N_CSplyx128.tga   N_Uart.tga N_UartB.tga N_UartBx128.tga   N_UCal.tga N_UCalB.tga N_UCalBx128.tga   N_UCalU.tga N_UCalUB.tga N_UCalUBx128.tga   N_UHart.tga N_UHartB.tga N_UHartBx128.tga   N_UHQ.tga N_UHQB.tga N_UHQx128.tga   N_Uinf.tga N_UinfB.tga N_UinfBx128.tga N_UinfU.tga N_UinfUB.tga N_UinfUBx128.tga   N_USply.tga N_USplyB.tga N_USplyx128.tga   Union_Gunboat_Fleet.tga Union_Heavy_Fleet.tga Union_Ironclad_Fleet.tga Union_Transport_Fleet.tga
bschulte1978

Post by bschulte1978 »

The mod is now up.  Get it here.
Pford

Post by Pford »

Well done, Bo. The icons look good and improve playability.
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

Glad you like it. [:)]

Guess there should be something showing what it looks like.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Hey Bo not bad. Veteran units really arn't Vets until 2 stars. There is trained, exsperenced, veteran, and elete. Can you add stars or someting on there flag to show the diferance?

[8D]
Jon
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

Uh-oh. Now I'm confused. I thought the game had only two types of infantry; veteran and militia. And two types of cavalry; veteran and mounted. [&:]

Where did elite and experienced come from?
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

Oh....maybe you're referring to the gold stars that superimpose over the unit art when they gain experience?
Berkut

Post by Berkut »

Correct. You are using the term "Veteran Infantry" to refer to what theg ame jsut refers to as "infantry", as opposed to militia.

Veterna infantry is infantry (not militia) with a gold start.
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

Well, I've changed the unit description graphic so it's just infantry and cavalry. The manual refers to infantry as 'veteran foot soldiers who've received rigorous training' so I guess I just extrapolated.....incorrectly. [:D].

Another idea I was tinkering with for the future was maybe to just go with standard NATO symbols for infantry and cavalry and color code them. Red for trained. Green for militia. Of course. depending on which side they're on, they would be placed on either a blue or grey background. However, I gotta get this ailing computer of mine fixed or replaced first.

madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

After further study I find that the navel icons look strange. It may sound funny but they look a little long. I think they will grow on me and I may eventually use the whole set.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

Yeah...I probably should have dispensed with the naval and ship mods. The in-game ones are pretty good.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”