Kentucky Neutrality

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

tran505

Kentucky Neutrality

Post by tran505 »

I am having a hard time deciphering the note at the top of Page 149. Exactly how do I know what the "Partisan Help Value" is for any given leader. I can't find a reference to this or a PHV anywhere else in the game.

Your general thought on invading Kentucky would be fun to hear as well. I like going in August as the Union -- neutrality be damned -- but if you think differently, I'd like to hear what you have to say....

- P
Paul
JAMiAM

RE: Kentucky Neutrality

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: tran505

I am having a hard time deciphering the note at the top of Page 149. Exactly how do I know what the "Partisan Help Value" is for any given leader. I can't find a reference to this or a PHV anywhere else in the game.

Your general thought on invading Kentucky would be fun to hear as well. I like going in August as the Union -- neutrality be damned -- but if you think differently, I'd like to hear what you have to say....

- P
This is from the difficulty levels and handicaps, against AI, or human players, by an integer value. I suspect that the leader portion of the help boosts the affected player's leader stats by this value, while the Partisan help value's effect is described in the Kentucky Neutrality and Partisan sections of the rules.
tran505

Post by tran505 »

Thanks, JAMiAM -- I could not find what the "Partisan Help Value" was anywhere!

- P
Paul
hgilmer

Post by hgilmer »

I go in pretty quickly. If CSA has already violated, more the better, but if not, I still go in. I like to get Paducah and then depending on the array of forces, go ahead and hit Humboldt in Tennessee. I can usually go down the Mississippi pretty quickly and then it just depends on when I turn back and try and trap some forces in Nashville. I have managed to cut off some forces in Tennessee before, but the last time I tried I had Hooker floating around in nowhereland with only a depot to keep him supplied.

Also, you can pretty much shut down Memphis at this point and start moving in some gunboats down there to keep Memphis and Nashville unsupplied.
tedhealy

Post by tedhealy »

I used to move into KY asap as USA, but the last 2 games I've waited some to try and avoid KY turning CSA state.  KY only CSA aligned and not a full CSA state means not having to garrison the regions which frees up a lot of troops. 

Just one of those things that makes this game great, lots of choices that have direct consequences, and you could make a case for going in early or waiting for the CSA to make a move.
tran505

Post by tran505 »

Yes, choices and having more than one viable strategy makes the game even better.

Just to follow up with hgilmer -- I have not had much luck on following through to Memphis in '61. I like to secure all the border states prior to winter setting in in '61, and then pause and build up for real over the winter. Do you try and push through to Memphis in '61, or do you wait untiil Spring as well?
Paul

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”