Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arty behaviour - Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> Conquest of the Aegean Support >> Arty behaviour - Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arty behaviour - Question - 7/2/2008 7:00:55 PM   
GoodGuy

I guess we won't be able to drop shells on friendly positions in the near future, but i wonder if the arty behaviour
on the following 2 screenshots is going to be reviewed before BFTB gets the green light:

Note: This is the "Sealion" scenario.

It feels like it's the terrain, sometimes, as it often occurs near/on rivers. The footprints of the friendly units in the vicinity
clearly show that there'd be no friendly units endangered if shells would be dropped at that location.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 7/2/2008 7:06:10 PM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Post #: 1
RE: Arty behaviour - Question - 7/2/2008 7:09:23 PM   
GoodGuy

Another one:
Nearby friendly units had been reduced to squad-size and/or have a smaller footprint (below 100 troops) already:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 7/2/2008 7:13:56 PM >

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 2
RE: Arty behaviour - Question - 7/3/2008 12:18:32 AM   
Arjuna

This is a fidelity issue. The reason this occurs sometimes is due to the size of the concentrations grid that we use. This is currently a 300m grid. This is not that fine. We chose this size because it was a good compromise for a whole swag of other functions and was economical on RAM, when RAM was a critical factor. But that was a long time ago. We could revise this and use a finer grid for concentration data. But that would have many downstream effects on amny other functions and would take some time to verify. So I won't be doing that for BFTB. Another alternative is to not use the concentration maps but instead do a manual search of nearby units. This is slower. Whether it would be noticeable is yet to be seen. I'll take a quick look at it and if it can be done readily, then it will get done, otherwise this issue will have to wait.

BTW this has been on the wish list for a loooong time. I just raised its priority to Critical. We'll see what can be done.

TT1689 - AI - Arty check for 'friendlies in way' is crude. Consider using actual units rather than concentration maps.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> Conquest of the Aegean Support >> Arty behaviour - Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI