Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  795 796 [797] 798 799   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 12:49:46 AM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

Tithe

I'll see your tithe and raise you a Xoing!

How's it going TGW?

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 23881
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 4:51:41 AM   
thegreatwent

quote:

How's it going TGW?

Still working, I've made it past the probationary period and now am being expected to know what I'm doing. Hopefully they take my lost stare to mean "Yeah, I got that". But it is nice to be earning a check again. On the sad side, one of my cats passed on. So my family is down to just my other cat and the wife. Though our number is smaller we will press on.

Hope things are well in your world. You had mentioned leaving D... Erm your secret hiding base for something less Cold Warish, is that still in the cards?

Maybe we should see if we could scare up an AE Release party for our region, although that may cost us our pallor as we would have to go out in the sun.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 23882
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 5:08:42 AM   
Terminus

Morning Tithe...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 23883
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 5:21:41 AM   
USS America

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Carolina Hurricanes 3, Boston Bruins 2, in overtime!!!  Canes win the series 4-3 and move on to the Eastern Conference Finals!!!!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 23884
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 5:58:30 AM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

quote:

How's it going TGW?

Still working, I've made it past the probationary period and now am being expected to know what I'm doing. Hopefully they take my lost stare to mean "Yeah, I got that". But it is nice to be earning a check again. On the sad side, one of my cats passed on. So my family is down to just my other cat and the wife. Though our number is smaller we will press on.

Hope things are well in your world. You had mentioned leaving D... Erm your secret hiding base for something less Cold Warish, is that still in the cards?

Maybe we should see if we could scare up an AE Release party for our region, although that may cost us our pallor as we would have to go out in the sun.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat...how's the other cat holding up?

No immediate moves planned. At the moment work will keep me rooted here, though that COULD change. We hear about a big contract this week, I hope. If it doesn't start up very soon we're going to be in trouble.

I'm always up for a party. I was planning on hosting a poker party at my place, but at the moment its in mid-remodel, so that's not an option. When I am able to host again you, Scott and Bob will of course be welcome. :)

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 23885
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 6:00:10 AM   
niceguy2005

Morning to the Euros and good evening to the late night American hockey fans.  Sack time for me.  I have to spend all day tomorrow at an economic conference...I think I'd rather spend all day at my dentists office.

Night all.

Post #: 23886
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 6:35:24 AM   
USS America

Good night, Chris.  I'm on my way out to the airport to welcome home the team.  I'll bet there will be over 1000 fans there at 2:30 am. 

Mike

Post #: 23887
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 8:14:37 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 23888
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 9:51:04 AM   
sprior

Morning Leo, morning all.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 23889
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 10:24:21 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Morning Leo, morning all.

Hello Simon!

Busy day here...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 23890
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 11:18:52 AM   
sprior

Not so busy here. So slow in fact that i found a pic of King Cnut's mum trying the hold-the-tide-back thing too:

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 23891
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 11:31:25 AM   
sprior

And here's John Moffatt. John Moffat joined the Royal Navy in September 1939. In December he moved to a flying school in Belfast. Moffat originally trained on Gloster Gladiator and Blackburn Skuas. Moffat was then transferred to 818 Squadron HMS Ark Royal, based at Gibraltar in January 1941. On 24 May 1941, the German battleship Bismarck sunk the Royal Navy battlecruiser HMS Hood, and HMS Ark Royal was released, as part of Force H, to hunt down Bismarck and sink her. On 26 May 1941 the Bismarck was nearing the safety of the French port Saint-Nazaire. A last ditch attempt to slow the battleship down, so that the British heavy units could catch up with her, was made that night.

At 21:05 hours, Moffat and his observer T/S-Lt.(A) J. D. "Dusty" Miller, flying in the Fairey Swordfish 5C/L9726, crippled the Bismarck with a hit on her port stern. The blow jammed Bismarck's rudder 12° to port. This enabled the Home Fleet and Force H to catch up with and destroy Bismarck.

This pic was taken earlier in the week:

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 23892
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 12:41:50 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

And here's John Moffatt. John Moffat joined the Royal Navy in September 1939. In December he moved to a flying school in Belfast. Moffat originally trained on Gloster Gladiator and Blackburn Skuas. Moffat was then transferred to 818 Squadron HMS Ark Royal, based at Gibraltar in January 1941. On 24 May 1941, the German battleship Bismarck sunk the Royal Navy battlecruiser HMS Hood, and HMS Ark Royal was released, as part of Force H, to hunt down Bismarck and sink her. On 26 May 1941 the Bismarck was nearing the safety of the French port Saint-Nazaire. A last ditch attempt to slow the battleship down, so that the British heavy units could catch up with her, was made that night.

At 21:05 hours, Moffat and his observer T/S-Lt.(A) J. D. "Dusty" Miller, flying in the Fairey Swordfish 5C/L9726, crippled the Bismarck with a hit on her port stern. The blow jammed Bismarck's rudder 12° to port. This enabled the Home Fleet and Force H to catch up with and destroy Bismarck.

I didn't know that he survived the WWII and that he is still alive!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 23893
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 1:08:06 PM   
stuman

Good ( American ) morning to all, and 3 cheers to Mr. Moffat.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 23894
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 2:14:43 PM   
USS America

Good morning - Tithe.

Mike

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 23895
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 3:36:16 PM   
USS America

Gonna need a lot of that stuff after only 3 hours of sleep last night. 

Mike

Post #: 23896
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 4:20:30 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

Takes large cajones to do an attack run in a plane as slow as the Swordfish, especially when the ship was probably going about 1/3 the speed of the plane.

Don't know if this is myth or not but I remember reading that the minimum speed input on the targeting computers (for lack of a better word) on the Bismark's aa directors was sufficiently higher than the Swordfish's loaded speed . . . explaining to an extent the poor performance of Bismarck's aa suite. Sounds plausible I guess. Any ideas?

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 23897
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 5:20:37 PM   
Yava

Hi Guys

Art by Dixie.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 23898
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 5:25:54 PM   
Yava

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Gonna need a lot of that stuff after only 3 hours of sleep last night. 

You need more sleep Mike!

Art by Dixie.

Post #: 23899
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 5:47:22 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yava

Hi Guys

YAVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Yava)
Post #: 23900
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 5:51:06 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

Takes large cajones to do an attack run in a plane as slow as the Swordfish, especially when the ship was probably going about 1/3 the speed of the plane.

Don't know if this is myth or not but I remember reading that the minimum speed input on the targeting computers (for lack of a better word) on the Bismark's aa directors was sufficiently higher than the Swordfish's loaded speed . . . explaining to an extent the poor performance of Bismarck's aa suite. Sounds plausible I guess. Any ideas?

i remember reading that also. plus from what i have read bismarks aa suite was pretty horrible.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 23901
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 6:27:29 PM   
sprior

Has anyone else read any of Simon Scarrow's books?

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 23902
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 6:43:58 PM   
marky

whos Simon Scarrow?

you have mail by the way sprior

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 23903
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 6:48:40 PM   
sprior

Already replied!

He's a writer (duh). He's trying to do for the Roman army what Cornwell did for the British army in Napoloenic times. I think they're mostly historically accurate but the dialgoue wouldn't go amiss in any modern British barracks. Makes it a kind of fun and brainless amusement but not serious literature.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 23904
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 6:56:48 PM   
marky

quote:

Already replied!

you have another mail

quote:

He's a writer (duh).

that i get

quote:

He's trying to do for the Roman army what Cornwell did for the British army in Napoloenic times. I think they're mostly historically accurate but the dialgoue wouldn't go amiss in any modern British barracks. Makes it a kind of fun and brainless amusement but not serious literature.

ahhhhhh

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 23905
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 6:57:22 PM   
Terminus

Haven't read any of them.

Post #: 23906
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 7:02:26 PM   
marky

me neither. i usually stick to american history

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 23907
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 7:13:37 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

i remember reading that also. plus from what i have read bismarks aa suite was pretty horrible.

Uh-oh, someone has dared to criticise the Bismark, that most perfect of all ships. The Axis fanboys are gathering their might for a cmapign against you now...

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 23908
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 7:14:34 PM   
sprior

I was hoping no-one would notice...

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 23909
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/15/2009 7:14:35 PM   
Terminus

Bah and humbug to them...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 23910
Page:   <<   < prev  795 796 [797] 798 799   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  795 796 [797] 798 799   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI