Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/17/2008 4:40:16 AM   
Kingfisher

Hopefully someone can explain the logic behind what I've witnessed in my last game, as a search came up empty.

Playing the Coral Sea scenario against the Japanese AI. In the resulting carrier battle Yorktown took 3 torps. Her planes immediately began diverting to a friendly field, except instead of choosing PM (closer and with more than enough base support) they headed to Buna (no garrison and about to be overrun by the Japanese). I lost half of the remaining air wing on the ground.

PM's air groups had taken a swipe at the invasion TF prior to the carrier battle, so the word was out that Buna was about to be overrun.

Why the bonehead move?
Post #: 1
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/17/2008 9:00:57 AM   
RGIJN

Welcome to the forum!

Maybe PM airstrip was cratered by japanese air attacks and some damage there deluded the AI to send these planes into the jungle of Buna. However, a weird move indeed. Though I dont know the exact location of your carriers, the bases in Northern Oz seem to be another wise choice to divert too...

(in reply to Kingfisher)
Post #: 2
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/17/2008 2:47:16 PM   
SuluSea

Welcome, close to the same thing happened to me yesterday as I was playing the Coral Sea Scenario. Both carriers sustained serious damage and planes were diverted to both Buna and Port Moresby. Strange thing was Buna had no air support nor troops. I guess that would be a good idea for CF. If at all possible planes should divert to where there is air support, at 282 I had plenty at PM.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 6/17/2008 2:48:19 PM >

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to RGIJN)
Post #: 3
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/17/2008 3:54:25 PM   
tocaff

What was the damage level at PM?  Was it over it's ac capacity?  Did you forget to bribe the AI not to screw you?

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 4
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/17/2008 9:15:45 PM   
ILCK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingfisher

Hopefully someone can explain the logic behind what I've witnessed in my last game, as a search came up empty.

Playing the Coral Sea scenario against the Japanese AI. In the resulting carrier battle Yorktown took 3 torps. Her planes immediately began diverting to a friendly field, except instead of choosing PM (closer and with more than enough base support) they headed to Buna (no garrison and about to be overrun by the Japanese). I lost half of the remaining air wing on the ground.

PM's air groups had taken a swipe at the invasion TF prior to the carrier battle, so the word was out that Buna was about to be overrun.

Why the bonehead move?

I've seen the same thing happen without the soon-to-be-overrun part. Planes will divert based on logic I don't get as my planes usually seem to head for the nearest base without any support.

(in reply to Kingfisher)
Post #: 5
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/18/2008 2:32:36 AM   
Kingfisher

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

What was the damage level at PM?

Couldn't say for sure, but it couldn't have been much if any. I made it a point to fly or ship in extra engineer units from the get go, for example those that start out in Brisbane and Cairns, so recovery would have been quick. In any event a dozen or so Bettys every other turn hardly made an impression.

quote:

Was it over it's ac capacity?

Again, couldn't say. IIRC, It was a level 4 field with both the 111th and 113th base forces, which put the aviation support points up around 250+. As far as squadrons, I had both P-40s, a P-400, the Hudsons, the A-24s and both B-25s.

quote:

Did you forget to bribe the AI not to screw you?

I made sure to switch the AI's morality level from "Chicago Politician" to "Mother Teresa" prior to the game.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 6
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/20/2008 5:03:28 AM   
DEB

Although you ( as the player ) knew the current situation at Buna, the person who made the decision ( Pilot, Squadron leader, Carrier Air OPS Officer, or whomsoever - played by the AI ) did not. Therefore it's just bad luck. ( NB - Of course the AI knew at some level, just not one that could help. )

(in reply to Kingfisher)
Post #: 7
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/20/2008 1:39:46 PM   
Kingfisher

Perhaps, but I'm having a hard time believing that. The fact that York's entire airwing (minus the TBs which didn't have the range) made for Buna leads me to believe the order came from someone higher up the CoC than individual pilots or even a squadron commander. Why that someone would choose to send everything to a field that is furthest away is bizzare.

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 8
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/20/2008 1:53:29 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Welcome, close to the same thing happened to me yesterday as I was playing the Coral Sea Scenario. Both carriers sustained serious damage and planes were diverted to both Buna and Port Moresby. Strange thing was Buna had no air support nor troops. I guess that would be a good idea for CF. If at all possible planes should divert to where there is air support, at 282 I had plenty at PM.

I've had the same thing happen on the other end of the map. After a carrier battle in the triangle between Nevea, Irau and Luganville at least half of the planes diverted to Nevea which had no air base support troops. Having just finished a level one airbase that has not yet had air base support troops shipped to it is a severe liability. Squadron commanders should know better that to divert to an airbase devoid of airbase support troops. The air base itself would not have been declared and listed as "operational" at that point in time. Squadrons should only be allowed to divert to a non operational airbase as a last resort if no other operational airbase is available.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 9
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/20/2008 7:31:36 PM   
RGIJN

Don´t bother, I´ll take care for these orphans then...!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 10
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/20/2008 7:39:35 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: RGIJN

Don´t bother, I´ll take care for these orphans then...!

And where did I say it was in my game against Ralf? It could just as well have been my game against Todd as we also had a much bigger carrier battle in the same location around the same time (we both have 200% ship committment).

Don't be greedy now!

(in reply to RGIJN)
Post #: 11
RE: Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor - 6/20/2008 11:42:10 PM   
Joe D.

I've had planes head to Buna in that scenario; it could be something hard-coded, or perhaps the "logic" was to simply go to a friendly base closer to the enemy CVs for a better counter-strike?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Kingfisher)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Divert to Buna, become guests of the Emperor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI