Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you guys do it??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How do you guys do it?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you guys do it?? - 3/30/2002 9:18:09 PM   
Adamo

I did my first scenario last night ( the first tutorial) and I can't imagine doing one of the larger scenarios!! The allies in the tutorial have about 20 units and I was having a very hard time keeping track of every one of them. I can't imagine doing a scenario with lots of units. Do you guys use 'formation movement' as opposed to moving individual units? BTW, this is a great game! thanks adamo
Post #: 1
- 3/30/2002 11:48:58 PM   
tracer

Soon you'll be controlling many times that number...and always wishing you had a few more :D

There's a few buttons that will help you keep tabs on your forces: the 'next' and 'previous' unit buttons (or N and P on your keyboard), the 'go to next formation' button (G), the 'headquarters' screen (H), and (what I remember using alot) the 'unit menu' screen. In the unit menu screen you can see which units have movement or shots remaining, and by clicking on the gray boxes you can jump right to them.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 2
- 3/31/2002 1:40:31 AM   
Capt. Pixel

I've found that, although I might be comanding a much larger force (50+ units) that it's generally easier to purchase multiple small forces that are identical (or nearly so), and micro-managing each mini-force separately.

In this manner, I might have two armored sections and a mech platoon - three times over. Now I only have to remember if I'm dealing with taskforce North, Central or South.

I find this easier to battle manage. If you know that there are supposed to be a platoon of Shermans in taskforce Central, and there's only one. This way, you can get a better assessment of taskforce Centrals situation. As opposed to "I've only got 9 of 12 Shermans. Which ones are missing?".

A little forethought in the order that units are purchased, using the 'N' and 'P' keys, and dicing your force into multiple, smaller forces are all good ways for managing a larger SPW@W force.

Not to worry, this game allows anyone to rise to their level of what they find entertaining. I personally prefer smaller engagements with more emphasis of infantry. Many of my PBEM friends prefer massed armor formations. It's all there for everybody.

A great game to enjoy and welcome to the forum. :D

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 3
Micro Managing - 3/31/2002 4:05:06 AM   
Grimm

I find it actually easier to play with C&C on. The reason is I assign the formation to an objective and the unit will "point" me in the right direction when it comes up. C&C requires more up front planning but the benefit is a little less decision making at the unit level.

The real benefit is because I rarely play through a scenario in one sitting (PBEM) and I often find myself asking "... and why are these guys way over here?..." :rolleyes:

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 4
- 4/1/2002 2:27:43 AM   
skukko

How: No sleep.

mosh :D

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 5
- 4/1/2002 4:25:10 AM   
parusski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by skukko
[B]How: No sleep.

mosh :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Ditto to skukko

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 6
- 4/1/2002 7:33:43 AM   
Don Doom

What's sleep?;)

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 7
- 4/1/2002 7:34:49 AM   
Supervisor

What is this word you speak, sleep?

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 8
Sleep? - 4/1/2002 11:55:00 AM   
John David

Isn't sleep that part of the day when you strech, wolf down some food, go to the head, and then it ends when revillie sounds and you park your butt in the commanders seat for another 6-8 hours?

Man, I haven't inspected the inside of my eyelids in weeks.
blast this **** game anyway.;)

BTW, see this face,:eek: , this is what a lack of sleep looks like, and what this game will do to you. Oh, did I hear someone ask about a social life? :D :D :D . You've GOT to be kidding! The question must have been posed by a new recruit to SPWAW.

Man I need help! :) Oh yea, did I mention that I need some SLEEP !

John

The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How do you guys do it?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI