Classic Counters

Post mods and scenarios for EIA here

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Soapy Frog

Classic Counters

Post by Soapy Frog »

NEW VERSION

Added distinctive Heavy, Light and Transport fleet counters, added the Nelson counter, added Minor cav and Prussian cav (though this is unused).

I have made a Classic Counters mod for EiANW. Counters are from the Avalon Hill board game; note there is no graphical distinction between guards and regular corps. I added a small "city" icon to the garrison counters, since the normally visible strength number of course won't be there.

I will tweak this project probably as time passes. I'd like to work on a classic map but this might be too much work for me; we shall see.

Downloads:
Classic Counters
Classic Counters w/small depots
bresh

RE: Classic Counters

Post by bresh »

ORIGINAL: Soapy Frog

I have made a Classic Counters mod for EiANW. Counters are from the Avalon Hill board game; note there is no graphical distinction between guards and regular corps, or between heavy, light, and transport fleets (though I will add this at some point I think) and of course no counter for Prussian or Minor country cav. I added a small "city" icon to the garrison counters, since the normally visible strength number of course won't be there.

I will tweak this project probably as time passes. I'd like to work on a classic map but this might be too much work for me; we shall see.

Download here

Why drop minor Cav corps ?
Poland has one in EIA and in EIANW.

Regards
Bresh
Soapy Frog

Post by Soapy Frog »

Yes that is true. It is something I will have to add in. The orginal reason is that I made these counters awhile ago for a web-viewable EiA Board, the movement numbers were not on the counters (they were added dynamically)... in the board game the Polish cavalry corps looks the same as the infantry with a different movement number so it was not necessary to have a seperate counter graphic.
baboune

Post by baboune »

Gj Soapy!
Soapy Frog

Post by Soapy Frog »

New version added. Apart from adjusting the size of depot counters I think that will probably be it, however I am open to suggestions for improvements.
bresh

Post by bresh »

How do you show garrisons on depots btw ?
Havent tried the files out yet.
Also puzzled bit by the turkish "cranium" what are they supposed to be representing ?

Regards
Bresh
Soapy Frog

Post by Soapy Frog »

There is no way to show garrisons on Depots to my knowledge (unfortunate... one of the big failings of the map display is that you cannot see city or depot garison strengths at a glance).

Turkish cranium? Are you talking about the Russian guerilla counter? This is not used in EiANW but there used to be some alternate Serbian revolt rules that used them, as well as Russian partisan rules.

Also note the greenish leader counter under Nelson's is actually Napoleon's counter; however EiANW just uses a single generic leader counter, so it does not get used either :(
Soapy Frog

Post by Soapy Frog »

You can download a version with smaller depot counters here.

This shrinks the depot counters to about halfway between the size of a corps and a garrison counter, so its a little easier to differentiate at a glance.

NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

Hey Soapy, that image is just plain sexy! God I wish Matrix had decided to use the orig. counters, that would have been great!
Soapy Frog

Post by Soapy Frog »

Yeah there is no accounting for taste! To be fair I have a friend who says he much prefers the EiANW counters! However I am glad that modding the counters back to the classic look turned out to be so easy.

Things I would wish for in the user interface to make the counters even more useful:

1) Dynamic strength numbers for city and depot garrisons so that you can actually see the strength numbers at a glance.
2) Unique leader counters... currently the leaders share a generic counter for their nation; it would be very cool if they could have unique counters on the map (they already have some unique attributes like their portrait in the unit window so it might not be a huge stretch).
3) Unique minor country counters, so that minor country counter graphics can be customized (e.g. the game could check for a country-specific graphics file for the minor and if one does not exist just use the default)

Maybe Marshall will someday cast his eye into this thread and determine if any of this is possible!
j-s

Post by j-s »

Thank you for great job! I like those "original" counters, it make game much more clear.
I was thinking, that is it possible to get original garrison counters? That would help too, becouse you could see strength of all garrisons with one look.
Soapy Frog

Post by Soapy Frog »

Alas no, there is currently no way to display garrison strength on the counter.
j-s

Post by j-s »

Alas no, there is currently no way to display garrison strength on the counter.

Yes, unfortunatly.
But what if Marshal see this and there might a "option" in the future [;)]

Anyway, thank you for a great job!
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

Yeah there is no accounting for taste! To be fair I have a friend who says he much prefers the EiANW counters! However I am glad that modding the counters back to the classic look turned out to be so easy.

Things I would wish for in the user interface to make the counters even more useful:

1) Dynamic strength numbers for city and depot garrisons so that you can actually see the strength numbers at a glance.
2) Unique leader counters... currently the leaders share a generic counter for their nation; it would be very cool if they could have unique counters on the map (they already have some unique attributes like their portrait in the unit window so it might not be a huge stretch).
3) Unique minor country counters, so that minor country counter graphics can be customized (e.g. the game could check for a country-specific graphics file for the minor and if one does not exist just use the default)

Maybe Marshall will someday cast his eye into this thread and determine if any of this is possible!

Well we have a bug tracking system now (eiamantis.babel.com.au) which is also there for enhancement requests. It's probably worth your while putting this in there as a UI enhancement request. Think through carefully all of what is needed because it's probably easier for Marshall to pick this up once and make the changes than do things incrementally if you've missed something in your original request.

Perhaps include a copy of the counters that you've designed in the enhancement request as a file upload, and a diagram with a few arrows, circles, etc, to point out where on the counters or map things need to be changed. I'm a bit graphically challenged myself (I never could get my head around photoshop or the gimp) otherwise I'd probably do it myself.

The classic counters are a great add so far, though, even without the game changes to get them working properly. I would like to see unique minor country counters, though, as well as a different leader counter at least for Napoleon. After all we don't call this the "Charlesian" era or the "Kutuzovskaya" era or the "Blucheric" era, it's the "Napoleonic" era and not without reason.
--
Del
Soapy Frog

Post by Soapy Frog »

I will do this at some point, though I don't wish to sidetrack Marshall from dealing with the most pressing issues.
Edfactor

Post by Edfactor »

Bug i think

When i try to transfer factors from a corp to a depot or garrison i am getting an error "Invalid Image Size"

I dont understand why this is happening.
Soapy Frog

Post by Soapy Frog »

Odd! I have not experienced that myself as of yet... not sure what could cause that...
Edfactor

Post by Edfactor »

Well it doesnt happen all the time i dont understand (or cant figure out) a pattern. But i love these counters, MUCH better then what the game came with.
RayKinStL

Post by RayKinStL »

Edfactor was close but was not stating the error correctly.  The problem is when you transfer factors between two corps.  So during the reinforcement phase, choose a corp and then select the button to tranfer factors between corps, choose the second corp and this error message about "Invalid Image Size" will appear.  Now if you are on an area with an under garrisoned city, you can get around this by swapping back and forth between the garrison to each corp, but if you try to go corp to crop, this error message appears.
Edfactor

Post by Edfactor »

No I am getting that error when during the movement phase i try to drop factors from a corp into a garrison.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”