Do Not Purchase CCMT

Developed from the United States Marine Corps training simulation, Close Combat: Marines, you take command of modern US forces or various opposition forces in one of 25 scenarios included with the release.
Tactics

Do Not Purchase CCMT

Post by Tactics »

Until the movement bug is fixed - Stay away. Apparently reported in November of 2007 it continues to linger. I purchased the game today, 6/5/08, and can't put into words how dissapointing this is, from a Matrix title no less.

Save your $29 because it's a total immersion/fun killer to see you solders skidding across the earth like some warpy version dog poo.
Hertston

RE: Do Not Purchase CCMT

Post by Hertston »

That thread suggests the problem is easily resolved if you play at the 'proper' speed, i.e 'fast'?  Been a while since I played the game, but I always play CC at that speed and never noticed this.
Tactics

Post by Tactics »

No offence, but the proper speed is the one I select from the options menu.
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

Uh..I don't have this problem so glad I did buy it.
rmielech

Post by rmielech »

ORIGINAL: Tactics

No offence, but the proper speed is the one I select from the options menu.

The one that doesn't work is proper for you?
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

"Fast", which approximates actual time, is the recommended speed to play at...

The other speeds are to help you move over from turnbased or pausable games.
ImageImage
Tactics

Post by Tactics »

Does it matter?

The game speed menu could have a 'Warp 9' or a 'Wounded Kitten' speed option for all I care. If it's an option to select, it's no more or less correct than any other choice available. Saying it's not meant to be played on that setting while making it available is a pile.

Shame on me for not reading the Tech forum. I wrongly assumed that something so shoddy wouldnt exist in a Matrix title; and, if it did, it would be squashed within a time frame measured in weeks, not over half a year.

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Tactics,
Until the movement bug is fixed - Stay away. Apparently reported in November of 2007 it continues to linger. I purchased the game today, 6/5/08, and can't put into words how dissapointing this is, from a Matrix title no less.
Save your $29 because it's a total immersion/fun killer to see you solders skidding across the earth like some warpy version dog poo.

I'm sorry you're disappointed in your purchase and I'll see if we can get this fixed soon.

However, I think this is a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. In the overall scheme of things, this is a minor issue and does not break the game at all. Posting a new thread telling people not to buy the game because of a minor issue that bothers you more than most is taking things a bit too far.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Tactics

Post by Tactics »

I guess, but it's not minor to me.

I feel as though I've purchased the 2008 version of Road to Baghdad.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I guess, but it's not minor to me.
I feel as though I've purchased the 2008 version of Road to Baghdad.

As posted above and in the support forum, we're looking into it. If you're wondering why it exists, this ha simply been a low priority for everyone else, but we hear you and we'll see if we can get it sorted out.

I don't think that having just bought it today you can really compare it to Road to Baghdad either. I'd suggest taking another look at the rest of the game and trying it at the normal speed if the animations are crucial to your play experience while we see what it would take to fix that.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
In the overall scheme of things, this is a minor issue and does not break the game at all.

I disagree.

I played Close Combat for 6 years and 90% of the games were online.

Turn based game players claim the game is a click- fest but it is not.

I have said many times that when the game is released it ought to be on “slow” as default. That way no inexperienced reviewer could ever claim it to be a “click-fest”. New players will come flooding.

Further, I have suggested to new players that they play the game on “slow”, till they gain experience.

If it doesn’t work on “slow” it is broken.

-

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Joe, with all due respect there's a difference between an animation glitch and "the game is broken".
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

Just my 2 cents:

i am not an rts fan in the meaning of resources-upgrades-destroy, so i tend to prefer turn based and we go systems.

I purchased CCMT for the modern combat scenarios, i alwys play on fast and, after all, i find this speed is "slow" enough, it is not a click fest as i feared.

I never tried slow or medium animations and i think, that if bugs are there they will be tuned.... but i won't say this game is a piece of rust .... absolutely; i think the editor is one of the bets out there (with tirggers it will be wonderful).

Modern combat is really difficult to recreate i think, especially in real time as some others titles tried to.... so i respect this first step of Matrix Games and Close Combat towards this "strange" war (asymmetrical, urban combat, heavy air support and bombing...)
www.histwar.fr/
---
Periods i like: age of muskets, napoleonics, modern combat.
LitFuel

Post by LitFuel »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
In the overall scheme of things, this is a minor issue and does not break the game at all.

I disagree.

I played Close Combat for 6 years and 90% of the games were online.

Turn based game players claim the game is a click- fest but it is not.

I have said many times that when the game is released it ought to be on “slow” as default. That way no inexperienced reviewer could ever claim it to be a “click-fest”. New players will come flooding.

Further, I have suggested to new players that they play the game on “slow”, till they gain experience.

-

No offense but if even a newbie needs to play this on slow then they better check their pulse because I think their dead. The pace of this game at the fastest speed leaves me time to go to the fridge. Let's be real here. Far from broken.
Howard7x

Post by Howard7x »

Ive been playing this game for about 8 hours now. I own every other close combat title (except RTB) and ive been playing them for years, since the demo for the first game was released, so im no stranger to how a good CC title plays!!

I have to say, im a bit dissapointed in this title. It feels like a step backwards gameplay wise. Let me explain...

Im sure having units only able to enter buildings via the doors was a good idea. Unfortunately it does NOT work for this game. The pathfinding for infanty squads trying to move through doors if bloody terrible. I can see now why they abandoned the idea in the first title and never though of implemeting it since. Being allowed to enter building and shoot through them at any point may seem gamey and unrealistic, but this is mearly a game and it worked perfectly fine. Im going to download the lille mod to change it back. I cant handle it anymore.

Also, some of the scenarios just dont play right. I mean ive just played a scenario where each "squad" was just 1 man. Ok, thats fine. But then when you are on the offensive, once again it just doesnt work. Im crawling covertly accross barren land, the enemy appear in front of me and my guy just sits there until hes shot, doesnt even fire. This i can handle when i have a full squad, you loose a man, eventually the squad reacts and your back on track. Its like playing through CCX (insert number) with a bunch of snipers, horrible.

Also, the starting points have sometimes baffled me. I start at the back of a map at a base and have to navigate my way all the way around a huge map to get to where the OPFOR are located. Why? I just dont get it, either change the objective locations closer to the start point, or allow for a bigger deployment area. First time around i took it slow and cautious and it took me ages to realise that there was nothing in the hills with the objective on it, again. It happens all too often. This does happen in every CC game, but here because the maps are so large, it doesnt seem right that the AI chooses not to defend most of his objectives.

Some of the maps look great and as i went through the scenarios i was enjoying it, the new units and the off map arty/helo's/aircraft are great additions. Then all of a sudden im on a map that just totally does not fit in. HUGE horrible buildings that dont feel in scale with the rest of the game. Whats going on? I just didnt get it. Ive downloaded over 100 maps from CCO and not one of them has ever felt so... wierd. They were all free. This i payed for!!

Im sorry that im passing alot of negative comments here but i just felt i had to say something. As i say the new units and some of the maps are great fun to play around with, the lack of campaign doesnt bother me either, its the gameplay thats bugging me. And ive never once said that about a CC title yet.
"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Hi All,

We all have our likes and dislikes. Simply because some don't like a particular game does not mean that it is a poor game.

I have all the CC titiles save CC1 and in my view CCMT is very good indeed. The stock scenarios do not play very well in single player and I beleive they were made with H2H in mind. Which is what this game was meant for.

However if you make some scenarios for yourself and set them up well for single player you may find the game to be quite good.

If not..............well......each to their own.

regards John
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Hi Howard, you might try making your own scenarios. It's very easy with the scenario editor and you can set up your deployment zones yourself as you like. I have found that since I bought the game I've played maybe 1 or 2 stock scenarios and after that all the scenarios I've played have been taylor made to my own tastes in the editor.

Generally I like a game where the starting locations are far apart and Army has to go hunting for the Opfor. There are a few stock scenarios where both sides start out almost on top of each other and it seems I don't even need to be in the game. Just set up my troops and they start fighting immediately when the scenario starts. No need to direct anyone to go anywhere or direct them to fire. Everything happens on its own automatically.

Pathing is definitely annoying at times but I don't find the pathing in CCMT to be too much worse than any other CC game I've played. I've always had pathing problems with CC especially in close quarters urban combat.

The other thing which I really don't like is that the AI will not venture very far from its starting locations even when victory locations are a long way off. I wish I could set up a battle where I am defending a town and the AI has to march from the other side of the map to attack the town I'm defending.

Other than that I think CCMT is a fine little addition to the CC family.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL:  Howard7x

Then all of a sudden im on a map that just totally does not fit in. HUGE horrible buildings that dont feel in scale with the rest of the game. Whats going on? I just didnt get it. Ive downloaded over 100 maps from CCO and not one of them has ever felt so... wierd. They were all free. This i payed for!!
Let me guess...
NATO Mountain[:D]?
MikeAP

Post by MikeAP »

Delete
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Ambience is definitely poor. The game is almost completely silent. I thought the background distant combat sounds that were featured in CC V were the best ambient sounds of any of the CC series. It made you feel like there was a war going on somewhere around you.

It would also be nice to have sounds when vehicles move.

I wonder if there is a way to incorporate the ambient sound FX of CCV into CCMT?

Return to “Close Combat: Modern Tactics”