Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for PBEM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Looking for PBEM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for PBEM - 3/28/2002 12:52:30 PM   
Pirate

Does anyone want to play. It's a modified version of RickyB's russian first attack scenario. I prefer to be the russians. But can be germans too.
Post #: 1
Re: Looking for PBEM - 3/29/2002 12:45:44 PM   
Lokioftheaesir

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pirate
[B]Does anyone want to play. It's a modified version of RickyB's russian first attack scenario. I prefer to be the russians. But can be germans too. [/B][/QUOTE]

Pirate

Would be interested if offer still open. Would like to try german side.
What changes have you made?
Email me at
[email]nemesis@northnet.com.au[/email]

Loki

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

(in reply to Pirate)
Post #: 2
- 3/29/2002 10:18:51 PM   
Pirate

OK here's a list of the changes.

Added planes and tanks from possum wir.

Modified some tanks.

I removed the KV-1S tank. In the game it gets a non-existent advantage over other tanks. The KV-1S was an attempt to create a MBT. The russians took the KV-1 and reduced it's armor to make it go faster. In the game speed doesn't really matters and noone will want to build it otherwise since it's more expensive than a T-34 and weaker than a KV-1. Instead came the T-44 tank. Also the armor of the T-35 was reduced. That "heavy" tank had armor not much better than a light tank. Most of the arrival dates for the german tanks are back to normal. The exceptions being the tiger and panther. The tiger comes sooner since research of it began before the war. The Panther comes later since it was a responce to the T-34 which are now only encountered in 42. Some other minor changes that I don't remember.

Modified some planes.

Russian planes get better durability and sometimes better dogfighting and cannon values. Loads for bombers reduced. When I tested the scenario before I reduced the loads 80 Ju-88s destroyed 50 tanks and killed 5000 men. Which is impossible. After reading the thread about the HE-177 I changed it too. Reduced durability since from what I read it wasn't exactly a flying fortress. Also it's now the most expensive plane in the game. And it comes in february like some people suggested. Reduced dogfighting values for the Spitfire. The russians got a few old, overused spits that were inferior to their own planes. They didn't like the Spit and rarely used it. I reduced the values to make sure the russian player doesn't rely too much on it. Some other minor changes that I don't remember.

Reduced readiness for all german frontier units. Just to make sure the surprise attack is really a surprise.

According to Ricky the war was suppose to be over but the west front and italian front were still there and the russians were still getting Lend-Lease. So now the italian front is gone and so are Madrid and Cairo. Hitler would have gone after russia as soon as he's done with the west. So now the new story is: The german advance into france failed. WW1 style warfare began. Stalin waits until he's ready and then attacks.

Added several rumanian, hungarian and finnish divisions. In the game only the units that took part in the invasion of russia are present. In fact this armies had 5-10 more divisions so now some of them are there.

Now all russian cavalry and airborne divisions and many rifle divisions I start the game with, have tank battalions attached to them. As it was historically.

The russians had 30000 artillery guns at the start of the war. In the game they only have a fraction of that number. So now the number of guns in rifle divisions is increased. Now the number is closer to the truth.

Production changes.

OK here's what I did to check how the production should be. I started a normal 41 scenario and ran it forward with both sides not attacking. This way the number of cities and factories available to the russians is the same as in the start of this scenario. I stopped on may 3rd, 42. Then I used the editor to check production. If we take tank production for example it turns out that out of the 1594 production points the russians should have had they only have 465. 71% of the russian industrial capacity has been removed. You may argue that the game simulates the growth of industry in war time. But Stalin declared the mobilisation of the industry in 1939. So the growth should still be high. Still since ther is no war I didn't give them 1594 but only 1201 production points. Same with other industries. For the Germans 56% were removed but I changed to the way it should be. I didn't remove points like for the russians so now the german and russian production are about equal.

Cities are back to normal.

The population, resource and oil values were lowered for the russians and increased for the axis. I suppose this represents some kind of lack of patriotism from the russian side and over-patriotism on the german side. Believe there was no such thing. Russians are just as happy attacking Berlin as they are defending Moscow. They will do whatever Stalin tells them. That's how they are. As for the germans they were having manpower problems already in 1944. No matter how patriotic they may be they simply can't send more men than they have.

The allegiance of polish cities is now soviet. Considering Hitler's great love for poles which is demonstrated in the systematic murder of 17.2% of the population, I think they would rather live under Stalin than die under Hitler.

New russian tank armies created. I didn't really create them. I just renamed shock armies and regular armies built like tank armies and turned them into real tank armies.

Russian airgroups now have a lot less damaged aircraft. I can't imagine Stalin going to war with 1/4 of his planes out of action.

Finally I rearranged the positions of my forces to match my battle plan. Remember though that you can't rearrange your forces since it's suppose to be a surprise attack.

That's it I think. Overall I certainly changed the balance more in favor of the russians. But don't think that as the russians it will be a walk in the park for me. I tested the scenario against the AI and after 1 month of fighting my losses are:

Men in squads: 541500. That's an average of 18050 per day.
Artillery: 3792. That's an average of 126 per day.
Aircraft: 890. That's an average of 30 per day.
Finally the tanks. The biggest drawback in having a lot more tanks is that I get a lot more losses.
Tanks: 5543. That's an average of 185 per day.

I'll send you the scenario file and my first turn soon.

(in reply to Pirate)
Post #: 3
- 3/30/2002 6:42:02 AM   
Lokioftheaesir

Pirate

Changes sound interesting, should be a challenge for my germans to stops the rapacious soviet hoards :) :)
There is the question however of how to set up the scenerio. With Ricky's one i converted the 'scen files' to 'obfb' files (the games '42 Campaign) so it could be played PBEM. This worked Ok but if you change the soviets to the 1st player in editwir the pbem password system wont work properly.
The Way we had to do it was change the scen files to obfb as above but have the german take his turn 1st but do nothing in the turn. Then the soviets take their turn and so forth.

This is the problen we had, if you can figure a way around it that would be great.
I would suggest you experiment with doing turns and passwords to see if everything works properly before sending me a 1st soviet turn as it is a lot of work to do then discover you have to do it again.

Loki

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

(in reply to Pirate)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Looking for PBEM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI