Harpoon: Advanced Naval Warfare is Updated!

Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare is the result of decades of development and fan support, resulting in the most comprehensive, realistic, and accurate simulation of modern combined air and naval operations available to the gaming public. New features include, multiplayer support, third party databases, scenario editors, and OVER 300 pre-built scenarios!

Moderator: Harpoon 3

Alex Fiedler

Harpoon: Advanced Naval Warfare is Updated!

Post by Alex Fiedler »

A new v3.9.2 update is available and a new Development Initiative takes shape!

Matrix Games and Advanced Gaming Systems (www.advancedgaming.biz) are pleased to announce the release of another quick update for their famous naval warfare simulator, Harpoon: Advanced Naval Warfare. The comprehensive 3.9.2 update brings another quick fix to a land unit logistics issue and also marks the announcement of a new community-focused development initiative.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “This latest update brings another small but effective change to make the Harpoon experience all that it can be. We’re proud to be working with Advanced Gaming Systems to bring gamers this award winning naval combat simulator!”

The 3.9.2 release is the second in a series of 3.9.x updates that are intended to improve game stability and increase responsiveness to customer feedback, with the goal of improving the entire game experience for the Harpoon community. Please check the Harpoon 3 ANW forum at www.matrixgames.com for information on how to be a part of this initiative.

Erik Rutins, Director of Product Development at Matrix Games, stated, ”Together with AGSI, we’ve embarked on a new initiative to make it our development priority to work through the outstanding issues reported to us by the community and release frequent updates as these issues are addressed. As a part of this new focus, we’ve entered the entire community-maintained issues list into our tracking system and opened that up to the public. Along with this increased visibility into our progress on these issues, the public will also have the ability to submit reports directly into our system again.”

Harpoon 3 – Advanced Naval Warfare is the culmination of decades of development and fan support, resulting in the most comprehensive, realistic, and accurate simulation of modern combined air and naval operations available to the gaming public. Harpoon 3 gives the player an opportunity to manage some of the most advanced air and naval assets available in the world, putting them in the middle of many historical and ‘what if’ scenarios. Players will have the chance to battle it out against a variety of enemies using technology from all of the premier naval powers of the day: Iranian Revolutionary Guard in the Persian Gulf, re-live Operation El Dorado Canyon, strike at the heart of Libya, guard the Greenland-Iceland-UK gap to stop a Soviet naval invasion of the Atlantic, or stalk unwary U.S. shipping in a Soviet Akula-class submarine.

Get more information on Harpoon 3: Advanced Naval Warfare from its product page. This new update is comprehensive and will bring the game up to version 3.9.2.

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=323

Vincenzo_Beretta

RE: Harpoon: Advanced Naval Warfare is Updated!

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

Summary:
After 3.7.0 release: 80 Issues reported
After 3.8.0 Patch: (80 Issues - 34 Fixed + 88 New) = 134 Issues
After 3.9.0 Patch: (134 Issues - 31 fixed + 68 New) = 171 Issues
After 3.9.2 Patch: (171 Issues - 13 fixed + 29 New) = 187 Issues

A comprehensive third-party list of 171 * Known Harpoon [ANW] Issues has been exhaustively collected on HarPlonkHQ since the release of Harpoon ANW 3.7.0 Now that the 3.9.2 patch has been released, the list has been checked to see what has changed. While it is by no means definitive, it is believed that:

These 13 behaviours appear to have been resolved by the 3.9.2 patch:

These 158 behaviours do not appear to have been resolved by the 3.9.2 patch:

These 29 behaviours appear to have been added by the 3.9.2 patch:

ImageFilesOfScenShare Image
rsharp@advancedgamin

Post by rsharp@advancedgamin »

Hey folks,

First off, I would like to express my appreciation for Herman's (and others') efforts in collecting these issues. It is no small feat to manage such a large list of any sort and keep it up to date.

Second, Darren Buckley and I have set up an issue tracker outside of AGSI that will help manage this list and our efforts for handling it. It public and will always remain so. We are looking to keep the process as transparent as possible. The issue tracker is adminstered by Darren and myself in our spare time. With that in mind, you can login anonymously:

http://hud3.harpoon5.com/mantis/login_page.php

You can also view the stats on how we have handled the issues in the list.

http://hud3.harpoon5.com/mantis/summary_page.php

Further, you will be able to see what issues have been resolved for the next release. This system is an efficient way for handling such a sizable list of issues and prevents duplication of efforts. To further that, I'd like to extend an invitation to Herman for Developer status in this issue tracker. He will be able to manage issues in the system, create new users, and otherwise share control of the issue tracker.

We also invite anyone else to give their input on issues. There are several issues we have marked as needing feedback because of missing test scenarios or our not being able to reproduce them. Further, the public can now report issues they encounter using this issue tracker under the Public project. You can switch projects using the drop-down list in the upper right corner of the web application.

We want to establish a public and even-handed approach to handling these issues.

Anyone interested?
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks Russell and Darren for all your work on these improvements, it is greatly apprecaited.

To add to this, we've decided to lift the ban on Herman's account in this forum. Any banned member is always welcome to contact us and ask for reinstatement. Herman did this and I investigated the cause of the ban. As best as I can tell, he was banned for one week for breaking our forum rules and then forgotten. The ban was never intended to last more than one week and was only for breakng forum rules.

Under those terms, we've decided to lift the ban. Herman will of course be bound to keep within the forum rules and I would ask that this include not starting any discussions on the third party database disagreements, which we are remaining neutral on. This is not an explicit or implicit statement on the database disagreements, this is only a recognition that the ban should not have remained in place per our forum rules, as enforced everywhere on our forums.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
FransKoenz

Post by FransKoenz »

I welcome the decision to lift Herman's ban.

Now let's talk about bug-fixing and nothing else [;)]

Regards,
Taitennek
CV32

Post by CV32 »

Sounds like a sensible approach to me. Good to see. [8D]
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
Kegel

Post by Kegel »

Anyone else having a probelme with the harpoon launcher?  It is misaligned (the autorun.exe).  ALl the text and picture is pushed to the right.  It is currently unusable.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Kegel
Anyone else having a probelme with the harpoon launcher?  It is misaligned (the autorun.exe).  ALl the text and picture is pushed to the right.  It is currently unusable.

Thanks, we'll check into it.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Kegel

We are not able to duplicate - can you provide more info on your upgrade path and a screenshot of what it looks like to you?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
FransKoenz

Post by FransKoenz »

I have installed the newest patch to my pc.
The game menu is not working as it should do.
I cannot play or configure the game. The other menu items working properly.

Did I do something wrong?

Help is welcome!

Greetings,
Taitennek
Shemar

Post by Shemar »

Are you using Vista or any kind of non-standard type or size screen font?
FransKoenz

Post by FransKoenz »

Vista?????? [:D]

No Vista on my pc.......

Windows XP Professional, corporate version. and I have a 17-inch monitor, full screen [so, not in a windowed mode]

I did not have these problems with the older versions.

Cheers,
Tait
Vincenzo_Beretta

This is how the menu appears on my PC

Notice the cropping on the right.

And the links are all "off". The menu items do not work, but by moving the mouse pointer around you can hear the "click" of invisible links.

Fresh ANW install + the 7.9.2 patch. Running XP with SP2 on a 24" screen at 1920x1200

Never had the problem before (however, I usually run the game from the launcher in the folder).
FransKoenz

Post by FransKoenz »

I do not have this problem, the Game menu looks like it should look like, but the "Play"and "H3 configuration"links do not work.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta
Fresh ANW install + the 7.9.2 patch. Running XP with SP2 on a 24" screen at 1920x1200

Was that 3.9.2 installed on top of 3.7.0 or a different base version?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

We're investigating the game menu reports, in the meantime if you are having this problem please note that you can always run the game from the Start Menu folder links.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
FransKoenz

Post by FransKoenz »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We're investigating the game menu reports, in the meantime if you are having this problem please note that you can always run the game from the Start Menu folder links.

Nope Erik..... [:(]

I cannot run it in that way. All links are functioning, except the [for me] two most important links. "Play" and "H3 Configuration". I then tried it with the game menu within the ANW folder on my pc, same result.
I even tried to open it with a backup 3.9.0. folder, and then got the message that it could not find the Allegro.dll file [?].
Strange, because the .dll file is in the main directory of the game.

But I want to inform you that I have unzipped the file to another directory, then select all files and simply copied them to the folder. This seems to work. [;)]

Greetings,
Taitennek

Vincenzo_Beretta

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

Was that 3.9.2 installed on top of 3.7.0 or a different base version?

A fresh 3.7.0 install (after totally deleting and cleaning up the existing one) and then the 7.9.2 patch over it. No other actions.
Greg Wilcox

Post by Greg Wilcox »

We have made a change to the comprehensive patch file that should fix the general problem with the Game Menu and have re-uploaded it. Those who were having trouble with Game Menu should redownload the new file. (The file will have an “a” after the version number).

If this doesn’t work for you please feel free to send me a PM and I’ll work with you to figure out what is happening on your machine with the Game Menu and get a specific fix for you.

-Greg

Greg Wilcox
Production Assistant
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Taitennek
I cannot run it in that way. All links are functioning, except the [for me] two most important links. "Play" and "H3 Configuration". I then tried it with the game menu within the ANW folder on my pc, same result.

No, I meant the separate links in the Windows Start Menu. You want the Harpoon 3 ANW (Quick Start) link.

We're going to post a new update file today that should resolve this. It looks like in some cases the new files in the installer are not overwriting the old, resulting in a mix of new and old game menu files. The new update installer should force this to happen no matter what.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare”