Polish Version??

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

cdbeck

Polish Version??

Post by cdbeck »

Ok, so this is going to sound like a weird question. I have always been kicking around buying WitP, but I'm just too poor (and I keep spending my money on beer, "lesser" games, and internet...uh... videos. [:D]

Anyway, I was looking around for boxed copies of WitP and I came upon some people selling a "Polish publication" of WitP by Matrix. They said that it was all legit, box and internal docs in Polish but install can be in English and the manual is an English pdf file. The price is significantly cheaper and I can get it from an Amazon merchant, which gives my credit card bonuses.

So is this really legitimate, or is this some pirated copy from Poland with a cracked serial number? Will a polish CD work with North American regional setting on the CD/DVD player?

I hate to be cheap, but I could care less about a box and the language on the box. I guess WitP's manual is all online, right, as it has to be a monster. I just don't want to be a sucker and get something illegal, unworkable, or both.

Anyone got the info?

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Mosby

RE: Polish Version??

Post by Mosby »

I saw that too, and the guy selling them has sold a bunch of copies. Looks like everybody is pretty happy with him too, but I feel kinda weird with the entire thing.

Shipping is probably pretty crazy too.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Sounds bogus...........stay off the lesser games and buy this. Or wait and stay off the lesser games until AE is out and then get them both.
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

I have heard that there IS a legal, cheap, Polish version out there. A Polish forum member (Przemco) told me he picked up a copy in Poland for a few $

He will undoubtely react in this thread once he is awake (lazy bum is almost certainly still in bed and it's already 6:42 AM [:D][:D])
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
TommyBoy84

Post by TommyBoy84 »

I actually bought a copy of the Polish version from the guy on Ebay. It's an authentic copy of the game, the box is just in the Polish language. Everything else, the game, the on-disc manual, is in regular english.

It's not a copy, or a rip-off or anything, it is an actual copy of WiTP.

Shipping was $7.50 flat rate to the US. I think I wound up paying $41 for the game itself, so even added together, I'd much rather pay $48.50 than $70 for the game.
Przemcio231

Post by Przemcio231 »

Yep WITP is published in Poland by Nicolas Games and its 100% Legitimate. If any one want one i can get a few spare copies of the game just PM me[:D] as my dumb brother made a joke on me and bought me 3 additional copies for my birthday present[:D] Tommy you paid to much for the game he could sell it for 30$+shipping and he would still make a good profit out of it.

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Sounds VERY suspicious...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Monter_Trismegistos

Post by Monter_Trismegistos »

Terminus - this game in Poland has normal price for such an old game (just like HOMM3) :)

Przemek - Its price is (was) 20PLN so today it makes 40 dollars 40 cents. Do you want anybody to sell it cheaper than he bought? :)

Well, I agree that terms of agreement between Nicolas and Matrix are suspicious :) It would be nice to have official comment from someone from Matrix, if such agreement really existed.

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą
Uamaga

Post by Uamaga »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Oh God... There are more things in heaven and earth, my dear Terminus, than are dreamt of in your philosophy...

It is 99.9% legal. If it happened 15 years ago then well, your suspicions would quit likely have some merits, but now...
Anyway check for yourself: Nicolas Games shop. Now mass re-export of it back to dollar zone would be certainly something against Matrix interests, but as far as I understand the company has nothing to do with it.

One can of course ask if it was sound business decision on both sides. I guess Matrix intention was just to get few bucks more and polish distributor... well, it did not go banckrupt at least. Guess the polish wargamers were the real winners here as things like that happens to us once a blue moon at best.
The only other explanation that comes to my mind is that release of WiTP in Poland for such attractive price was part of the offset program which US goverment promised after we bought F16 fighters from US [:D]

Its price is (was) 20PLN so today it makes 40 dollars 40 cents. [...]

Hi, Monter_Trismegistos!
How did you come from 20PLN to 40$, really? Maybe I missed something but I don't thing US$ is looking so bad? Not yet at least... [&:]. Or does shipping cost so much?
Monter_Trismegistos

I knew I screwed something in my in memory calculations :) It's 10$ :)
Nec Temere Nec Timide
Elladan

Post by Elladan »

Well, in spite of how good our dear Monter is with maths, one could easily check that 1 USD = approx. 2 PLN, so the game could be bought in Poland for about 10 bucks. That's a deal :)
Przemcio231

Post by Przemcio231 »

Well not 10$ but 5$ as my brother bought me the games on some promotion in a local mall[:D]

Monter_Trismegistos

Ok. My math sucks :)
Nec Temere Nec Timide
niceguy2005

Post by niceguy2005 »

Support your local developers, buy the real thing.  On a per hour basis it's cheaper than just about anything else you'll do in life.
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
Johnny Sheff

Post by Johnny Sheff »

About a year ago I was in Poland with my gf (she is polish, I'm English). We were in her hometowm of Kielce in the south. We went into a large electronics shop called Media Markt and I saw Battles in Normandy, Battles in Italy, War Plan Orange, Steel Panthers Generals Edition all for 20 Zloty each. At the time that meant that each game was less the £4 (about $10 ?) and I promptly bought them all and blessed the Polish software market.

They are indeed by Nicolas Games and in the "Wojny Bitwy Kampanie" series. Each of the games I bought had a sticker on the front of the box which said "W Srodku ZA DARMO Gra Niespodzianka !!!" My gf said this meant there was a surprise, a free gift in the box along with the game. Sure enough this was true. I opened of them up and got Crown of Glory for free!. The trouble is I already had this game. I had bought it, along with GG World at War and some others as part of a bundle pack the previous year I had been to Poland. I think that bundle cost me around 40 or 50 Zloty which was about £8-£10! That was from a Polish shop called Empik (it's a chain and sells great stuff, there is a large branch in the square in Krakow, on the same side as St Mary's church).

These games are totally legitimate, are sold through respectable stores (Media Markt is a German chain I think - Google it. They have lots of stores all over Europe) and are very cheap. I think Matrix has signed a deal with Nicolas games and doesn't want to shout about how so much cheaper their games are available in Poland.

It's well worth a trip to Poland. The women are beautiful (the best looking women I have ever seen.), and the beer is cheap. So are the strategy games!

John

Allen Faulkner (Richard Burton):Rafer what are you carrying?
Rafer Janders (Richard Harris):I'm carrying this Colt 45 and this handgrenade. It sort of balances me up.
(The Wild Geese 1978)
Przemcio231

Post by Przemcio231 »

Correct Johnny ouer girls are the best in the world!!!!![:D] An ouer beer is really good to but you should try Wyborowa Wodka it rocks[:D][:D][:D]

Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It isn't at all [8D]

My friends and I are buying regularly stuff from the same Polish distributor. Even with taxes and port, it's the best deal out there for a lot of strategy games. They have a great collection of wargames and simulators (including numerous Matrix Games products), AKA the kind of games that never get translated. Nicolas Games is systematically the Polish editor. Everything is provided by the book, including the serial. Man that's nice to be European sometimes. [8D]

Gotta thank Viberpol for the tip, he's the one who showed me the trick the first time, and allowed me to buy one sweet WitP with a couple other nice games. Since then, Ive made at least half a dozen other strategy-gaming friends happy [8D]
Johnny Sheff

Post by Johnny Sheff »

I haven't tried Wyborowa but I have tried Zubrowka (sp?) and Chopin and another vodka that was sort of a brown colour. I can't remember the name. My favourite is Zubrowka. It's fantastic. The beers are pretty good too. And strong. I like Ococim (sp?) and Tyskie. As for the women, well....! [:D][8D]

John
Allen Faulkner (Richard Burton):Rafer what are you carrying?
Rafer Janders (Richard Harris):I'm carrying this Colt 45 and this handgrenade. It sort of balances me up.
(The Wild Geese 1978)
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

Good old icy Zub' is kewl [8D]
You just feel the difference with real and fake vodka when drinking Zubrowska, no doubt. Eristoff, Smirnoff and other sorry counterfeits make me puke...
Przemcio231

Post by Przemcio231 »

Zobrowka has some grass sticked into the bottle and its best served with apple juice[:D] yep lots of counterfeit stuff here the only forgein Wodka i like is Finlandia. And as for Forgein beers i like some Czech and German ones the only Anglo-Saxon beer i like is Guiness[:D] 

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”