Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using Google Sketchup

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> Maps, Models and Mods >> Using Google Sketchup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using Google Sketchup - 5/7/2008 6:01:35 AM   
Stridor

In my search to find you cheap and easy tools to allow you to mod the game I found a way to make google sketch up work.

see http://sketchup.google.com/

This is a free tool. Is incredibly powerful, has a huge library of pre-existing models to play with or import into PCK, a huge user group supporting it. It is also designed to be incredibly easy even for rank novices to use. After all it is *GOOGLE*.

Now at the moment (I am still learning) I think what you will be able to do is use it to make new trees, buildings, fences, bridges, etc, etc. I don't know if it will be able to do entire maps (I will look into it) but for the moment if you wanted to do addons and not use MS3D it seems possible.

For those people out there who have no idea about 3D modeling software this is where to look.

There are plenty of video tutorials on the google site which show you how you can make a new building in about 5 minutes flat!

The only extra thing you will need is this free plugin http://edecadoudal.googlepages.com/sketchupwithdirectx To make it so that sketchup can export to direct X. Use the metric 3D preset in SU and just prior to directX export scale your model to 0.01 so that it scale matches with the rest of PCK and there you go. No MS3D needed!

Now all I need to do is find a way to make it work with maps.

Regards

S.
Post #: 1
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 5/7/2008 6:02:47 AM   
Stridor

Oh just to show you that it works ok here is a SS of the "Google Sketchup Guy" imported into my colo_river map

Enjoy

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Stridor -- 5/7/2008 6:05:25 AM >

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 2
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 5/7/2008 7:10:41 AM   
Stridor

If you haven't tried sketchup (I hadn't) do yourself a favor, download it and run through some of the tutorials that pretty much take you by the hand in designing buildings. When I said you could make a new building for PCK in 5 min (design time). I may have been overstating it Essentially the time the exporter takes will be longer than the time you can make new stuff

The whole "Google Warehouse" thing means that you can easily download models and textures all in one place.

Once I crack how to do maps with this thing it will be amazing!

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 3
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 5/7/2008 8:11:52 AM   
Rick

Stridor -

Thanks for the tip! I appreciate the heads up.

Rick

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 4
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 5/7/2008 8:40:21 AM   
bardolph

Very cool Stridor, I like Sketchup a lot for sheer speed of modeling. Fantastic to hear that it will work to at least some extent with PCK.
Sketchup is about as easy as it gets. Also good to hear there is some way to export, I know one of the limitations of the free version was exporting files. And the full version puts you in some serious $$.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 5
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 5/7/2008 9:33:41 AM   
Mraah

Stridor,

Pretty cool. I'll have to check this out.

One thing comes to mind though .... for building design, can it do the bones that's needed for infantry placement?

I know you haven't messed with it that long ... Maybe bardolph might be able to see if it has the ability, or any restrictions that might come to mind.

Thanks!

Rob

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 6
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 5/7/2008 12:31:36 PM   
Stridor

Yes for the moment it can only do non-enterable buildings, tress, fences, bridges, etc, but I am working on it

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 7
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 4/12/2010 2:06:47 AM   
junk2drive

Bump

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 8
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 4/12/2010 4:12:40 AM   
junk2drive

quote:

just prior to directX export scale your model to 0.01 so that it scale matches with the rest of PCK

Any quick tips on how to scale?

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 9
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 1/15/2011 9:37:29 AM   
murkz

Hi all,

First post and a new owner of this title, I have no idea how I missed PCK as I have played CM from the very start and enjoyed it.

My question, can we now use Sketchup for creating tanks. I really enjoy Sketchup and like to mess about making things in it :)

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 10
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 1/15/2011 5:11:24 PM   
junk2drive

Nice models. If I remember, the problem with Sketchup is that the free version does not do animations so it was only recommended for houses and such.

Keep in mind the 2000 poly limit.

What specific questions do you have for adding models?

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to murkz)
Post #: 11
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 1/15/2011 8:13:30 PM   
murkz

Hi Junk,

Is the 2000 polys the limit for vehicles? Is there an export path from SU to PCK?

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 12
RE: Using Google Sketchup - 1/15/2011 8:34:18 PM   
junk2drive

In the first post it mentions a DX export tool.

Yes, 2000 poly limit for vehicles. You can go higher for your own use but I'm not sure how the game will play for you.

Look at the existing folders in the game. There are folders for the 3D model pieces and outside of that are xml files that tell the game what to use.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to murkz)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> Maps, Models and Mods >> Using Google Sketchup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI