Matrix Games Forums

Civil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now available
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM human controlling multiple nations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> PBEM human controlling multiple nations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM human controlling multiple nations - 4/27/2008 1:26:53 PM   
runekchristensen

Hi,

I am setting up a PBEM game where some players are controlling multiple nations. The problem is that when I have entered all the necessary information and select "Host email game" I get the error:
"Duplicate Email Addresses Not Allowed".

How do I get around this problem when I want one player with one email address to control multiple nations?

Thanks,
Rune
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM human controlling multiple nations - 4/27/2008 1:35:17 PM   
DCWhitworth

I don't know that you can get around that. The PBEM game is not designed for someone to be able to control more than one nation. It *can* be done but takes a fair bit of fiddling and is very open to human error.

I wrote the following guide on how to play another players turn for one of the groups I play in. It works and has been used successfully but it is hardly straight forward.

Regards
David

How to Play someone else’s turn

WARNING – Only undertake this if you are sure you understand these instructions. Failure to do this properly could corrupt your saved game.

The problem is you can have only *one* copy of a PBEM game and this resides in the root of your save folder. So you have to swap save files to play someone else’s turn

Absent Player

Before your phase go to your save folder and zip your saved game up and email it to the substitute player who will play your turn. Be sure to include both the .sav file and the .sav.dat file.

When you get back, the substitute player should email you back a zip file containing your revised save files. Unzip these back into your save folder. For safety’s sake it would be wise to back up your old save files first.

Substitute Player

To play someone else’s turn you need to do the following -

Copy your save files to another directory (don’t forget there are two of them).
Copy the absent players files into your save directory, this will overwrite your files.
Load the game and play their turn as desired.
Copy their save file somewhere else.
Zip their save file and send it back to them.
Restore your backed up save file to your save directory overwriting the absent player’s files.

(in reply to runekchristensen)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM human controlling multiple nations - 4/27/2008 1:40:31 PM   
runekchristensen

Seems doable except for the email address that I cannot enter. Is the entered email address really used or can _I enter a phony one?

Thanks,
Rune

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 3
RE: PBEM human controlling multiple nations - 4/27/2008 1:51:34 PM   
DCWhitworth

As far as I know the email address is only used when you click on the email buttons within the game, so you should have no issue if you enter a dummy one. The only problem is to make sure all the players realise this so they don't end up sending emails to invalid addresses.

Regards
David

Post #: 4
RE: PBEM human controlling multiple nations - 4/27/2008 1:54:10 PM   
bresh

quote:

ORIGINAL: runekchristensen

Seems doable except for the email address that I cannot enter. Is the entered email address really used or can _I enter a phony one?

Thanks,
Rune

Well, if you drop using the ingame send messages, you basicly can make up emails.

I made a tiny test game to test some hosting. (tg). i gave each nation a made up email.
fr@x.xx,gb@x.xx. and so on.

Do remember to keep savefiles moved to different folder after your made your moves.

DCwhitworth said it to :)

Regards
Bresh

Post #: 5
+ convention - 4/27/2008 9:44:10 PM   
Grognot

Perhaps the game will let you use

<normal_email>+gb@<normal_domain>
<normal_email>+fr@<normal_domain>

etc, letting the + tags (alternately, -) fool the game into thinking they're separate. Not all e-mail providers use 'em these days, but there's an old convention that the <normal_email>@<normal_domain> would still receive the e-mail but the tag after the + could be used for organizing.

This would work on gmail, anyway; I have <firstname.lastname>@gmail.com, and a +foo was still happily delivered to me.

< Message edited by Grognot -- 4/27/2008 9:45:32 PM >

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> PBEM human controlling multiple nations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI