please get this right

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

borner

please get this right

Post by borner »

Hello,

I am sure someone in one of these threads has brought this up, but felt it was worth saying here. As I am sure some of you know, there is an ongoing discussion about Emipres in Arms being released too soon on that fourm. I know that many of us have been waiting for this WiF to get released so we can take a crack at it. However, for me, I urge Matrix to resist the public presure to get this out there too fast, and will gladly wait the extra time is needed to get it right. A game this large and complex, a huge challenge I am sure, but hopefully many of the bumps and bugs can get fixed the first time around.

Just my 2 cents of input.
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: please get this right

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: borner

Hello,

I am sure someone in one of these threads has brought this up, but felt it was worth saying here. As I am sure some of you know, there is an ongoing discussion about Emipres in Arms being released too soon on that fourm. I know that many of us have been waiting for this WiF to get released so we can take a crack at it. However, for me, I urge Matrix to resist the public presure to get this out there too fast, and will gladly wait the extra time is needed to get it right. A game this large and complex, a huge challenge I am sure, but hopefully many of the bumps and bugs can get fixed the first time around.

Just my 2 cents of input.
Which brings to mind one of my favorite personal phrases: "perfection is an elusive goal."

If I fix everything that the beta testers report, we should be in pretty good shape.

There will undoubtedly be multiple passes at improving the play of the AI Opponent after the original release of MWIF. But that is preferable to the alternative of having everyone who wants to play over the Internet or PBEM wait for the AIO's tactical, operational, and strategic abilities to be honed to a fine edge.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

may i just ask......

if you play pbem as one country and your opponent plays the other what happens to the rest of the countries?

Or do you play as Axis and Allies in multiplayer?
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

may i just ask......

if you play pbem as one country and your opponent plays the other what happens to the rest of the countries?

Or do you play as Axis and Allies in multiplayer?
Axis versus Allies is the only choice for PBEM.

In WMIF product 2 I might add the option for multiple players per side for PBEM, but I do not expect that to get as much use as simply ME against YOU for PBEM - mainly because of the time delays in synchronizing moves via email.
Steve

undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
In WMIF product 2 I might add the option for multiple players per side for PBEM, but I do not expect that to get as much use as simply ME against YOU for PBEM - mainly because of the time delays in synchronizing moves via email.

so i can understand this correctly, as i thought i had read all the release notes, there will be no such thing as WiF - a game you can buy to download and play as a single boxed product - its all in different scenarios/modules?
wfzimmerman

Post by wfzimmerman »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

so i can understand this correctly, as i thought i had read all the release notes, there will be no such thing as WiF - a game you can buy to download and play as a single boxed product - its all in different scenarios/modules?

No, no. MWIF v1 will include (IIRC) all the rules and functionality of WIF FE, including 11 scenarios and Cruisers in Flames. MWIF v2 is the catch-all designation for all feature function that is out of scope for MWIF v1. Not to worry!
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

so in simple terms there will be one game, glorious scope, PBEMable, army, navy, air across the globe - sold!!!

never played the board game, and get slightly confused by the MWIF and WIF FE abbreviations - assumed it would all be WIF and broke into a sweat
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: borner

We will make sure we get it right - don't worry, WIF is in good hands.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Shannon V. OKeets

so in simple terms there will be one game, glorious scope, PBEMable, army, navy, air across the globe - sold!!!

never played the board game, and get slightly confused by the MWIF and WIF FE abbreviations - assumed it would all be WIF and broke into a sweat
It is easy to get confused. I try to avoid abbreviations but some of them have so penetrated my normal vocabulary and I am not even aware that I am using them.

WIF is World in Flames, usually used to refer to a host of paper map & cardboard counter games by Australian Design Group (ADG) built around the gaming system they first developed in the mid-1980's.

WIF FE is Final Edition of WIF which is a well-defined set of rules for WIF from the late 1990's. Prior to WIF FE, there had been numerous editions of the game with evolving rule sets.

CWIF is a computerized version of WIF developed by ADG with graphics and player interface from the late 1990's (e.g., Windows 98). It only enables play on a single computer with one or two humans - no internet, no PBEM, no AI opponent. ADG's web site has this product for sale.

MWIF is Matrix Games' computerized version of WIF, under a licensing agreement with ADG. I am developing MWIF under contract to Matrix and I started with the 100,000 lines of source code for CWIF in July of 2005. I am now over 300,000 lines of source code for MWIF.

MWIF is built using an enhance depiction of the units and map, which includes 2000+ bitmaps for the air and naval units, 5000+ bitmaps for the coastal hexes covering the entire globe, and 7000+ bitmaps for the rivers. The player interface design for all 100+ forms that appear while you are playing the game have been enhanced to use specially designed Theme Engine components; these replace the standard Windows components used in CWIF.

WIF as a gaming system is continuously been modified by ADG. For instance, in the 2008 Annual magazine they published this month, there are 3 more 'add-ons' to the game. That magazine also includes a long list of rule clarifications and a shorter list of rules errata.

MWIF product 1 includes most of the add-on modules for the WIF gaming system. However, it does not include all of them. Excluded are: the new add-ons just announced this month by ADG, the pre-1939 add-on (Days of Decision), post-1945 add-ons (Patton in Flames and America in Flames) and the addition of counters representing leaders (Leaders in Flames). MWIF does include all the other add-ons to the 'classic' WIF game (e.g., Ships in Flames, Planes in Flames, Convoys in Flames).

MWIF product 1 also includes internet play, PBEM, and an AI Opponent.

As mentioned by Fred above, there is a list of additional player interface features that have been pushed out of MWIF product 1 and assigned to the ill-defined "MWIF products 2 and 3". For instance, animated replay of a previously played game based on its game record log is a feature near and dear to my heart but adding that to MWIF product 1 would delay its release.
Steve

undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

cool!!! MWIF is the one we're all waiting for then

where do i pay? [;)]

good luck, im sure there are many, as am I, who are very much looking forward to the game
Joram

Post by Joram »

Sounds great.  But this isn't going to cost us $70 right??? [:-]
IKerensky

Post by IKerensky »

HUm, I dont know how much it will cost... But I did remember back when I buyed the World In Flames CD Compagnon something about a rebate or free version of CWiF... will the offer port to MWiF ?
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

ORIGINAL: Joram

Sounds great.  But this isn't going to cost us $70 right??? [:-]

you dont think it will be worth £70 - dear lord man, youll never play anything ever again except maybe WitP which is also worth £70
Joram

Post by Joram »

You might be right about that!  :)  Though $70 is a lot less than £70!
composer99

Post by composer99 »

Considering the board game costs somewhere in the order of $200 - $400 ($CDN) depending on what components you get, the computer game will be positively affordable even at around $100 (in whatever currency you care to name).
~ Composer99
Joram

Post by Joram »

The original boardgame, of which I believe I still have lying around somewhere cost no where near that amount.  Maybe if you put in all the add-ons, yes.  But I don't think we paid more than $50-60 for it.  Course, that was what, 15-20 years ago.
SamuraiProgrmmr

Post by SamuraiProgrmmr »

With the add-ons that are included in MWif, it would have cost plenty.  I am unsure of the specific prices.

WIF (60?)
WIF (Again - new maps, counters, etc) (60?)
Africa In flames (20-30?)
Planes In Flames (20-30?)
America In Flames (20-30?)
Cruisers In Flames (20-30?)

This game will be more expensive than most computer games but I believe it will be QUALITY!

Plus you won't need 3 to 4 tables to play!

WOOOHOOO --- I am starting to get excited!!!

MWIF IS COMING!

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?
hakon

Post by hakon »

Prices when ordering from ADG:
Wif Classic : $90 (US)
Wif Deluxe : $170
Wif Super Deluxe : $400

Paying $200 for MWiF would not be unreasonable, considering that it contains everything you find in Super Deluxe, as well as the fact that sales volume may be a bit low.
bredsjomagnus

Post by bredsjomagnus »

I wont pay less than 70$ [:'(]
hakon

Post by hakon »

ORIGINAL: bredsjomagnus

I wont pay less than 70$ [:'(]

Agree, if it's cheaper than $70, I pirat it.

:D

Return to “World in Flames”