[WIP] Spring Level 8 Map - Village Center

Please post here for questions and discussion about unit modeling and general game modding. You can also post your new units and modifications here.

Moderator: EagleMountainDK

Mraah

[WIP] Spring Level 8 Map - Village Center

Post by Mraah »

Yet another work-in-progress ...

I'm converting the PCOWS Level 8 map into a springtime map with extra buildings.

FEATURES :

1. New Church with graveyard (see screen shot) - only 2 graves, but more on the way.
2. Village Center - a small group of buildings to represent the center of town.
3. Other goodies (I don't know yet ... making it up as I go along).

Anyway, the hardest part is my learning curve ... and remembering to save my work once in awhile [:@].

Rob

Attachments
springlevel8.jpg
springlevel8.jpg (191 KiB) Viewed 226 times
Marc von Martial

RE: [WIP] Spring Level 8 Map - Village Center

Post by Marc von Martial »

Great, looking forward to it!
Mraah

Post by Mraah »

Oh ... for those not familiar with Level 8 ... Here's a before shot for comparison

... winter ...

Attachments
springlevel8snow.jpg
springlevel8snow.jpg (186.7 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Redleg

Post by Redleg »

Mraah:

I've been reading your posts describing your adventures with PC:K with great interest.

When my copy of the game arrives (today?), I will be joining you in the exploration of modding. You will have made it easier for me by your efforts. Thanks!

Your map conversion and addition of buildings are very interesting to me. Something I want to do also.

As an aside, I wonder if Soviets will be using some satchel charges and/or molotovs?

Keep up the fine work.

Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Fantastic! Keep up the great mod work, Rob!
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Mraah

Post by Mraah »

ORIGINAL: Redleg
Mraah:

I've been reading your posts describing your adventures with PC:K with great interest.

When my copy of the game arrives (today?), I will be joining you in the exploration of modding. You will have made it easier for me by your efforts. Thanks!

Your map conversion and addition of buildings are very interesting to me. Something I want to do also.

As an aside, I wonder if Soviets will be using some satchel charges and/or molotovs?

Keep up the fine work.

Excellent Redleg !!!!! I'm looking forward to your mods!! If Stridor/Erik/Mobius not around, let me know if you have a question.

Right now, I've having trouble with new textures and dds not displaying properly ... so I'm just leaving that for later.

Satchel charges and/or molotovs? ... Hey, that would be a cool mod for you. When you get the game, look in the GUNS folder. I don't think molotov's are there but they have Russian Grenades, Rifle Grenades and more. I think the rifle grenades would make a great mod since they have ranges like 125m !!

Anyway, holler at us when you get the game.

Rob
Redleg

Post by Redleg »

Thanks, will do.
Redleg
Mraah

Post by Mraah »

Just to keep you posted on my progress ....

Features Added

1. Muddy Roads - It's gonna be a muddy map ... gotta love springtime!
... see screen shot ... A few abandoned T-34's stuck in the mud outside church (Mobius Path-Finding photo for reference) [:D]

2. Graveyard - Rocky terrain for cover ... (terrain for graveyard not currently showing rocky terrain in screenshot).

Anyway ... I'm still working on it ... albeit slowly but surely.

EDIT NOTE : Possibly providing cover around abandoned T-34's as Rocky terrain ... rocky around edges, obstruction in center.

Rob

Attachments
springlevel82.jpg
springlevel82.jpg (184.41 KiB) Viewed 226 times
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

So are you doing this with the games scenedit program?

Rick
Mraah

Post by Mraah »

ORIGINAL: Rick

Rick

Yes ... as far as adding new objects.
I'm using XML Notepad 2007 to change the texture file definitions ... ie road01 (winter road) to kharkov_road01.bmp (mud road).

I'm learning as I'm going ...

Rob
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Excellent, keep up the great work! Let us know if you have any new questions.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Mraah

ORIGINAL: Rick

Rick

Yes ... as far as adding new objects.
I'm using XML Notepad 2007 to change the texture file definitions ... ie road01 (winter road) to kharkov_road01.bmp (mud road).

I'm learning as I'm going ...

Rob

Very nice - thanks!

Rick
Mraah

Post by Mraah »

Progress Update ...

Well, I've exhausted myself with the tracers .... back to the map.

I'm replacing trees now ... but will leave some tree's bare. Changed the Skybox, lighting and color to summer (Kharkov maps). Once I'm happy with the tree's it's on to the town development.

It's starting to look like spring !!!
Attachments
springlevel83.jpg
springlevel83.jpg (905.99 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Looking very good, I like the mix of trees and the muddy texture.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Redleg

Post by Redleg »

We just had a light dusting of snow on April 22nd..... it looked quite a lot like your efforts with the light coating on the roofs and trees....  I am looking forward to trying your map when you are finished with it!  Nice work.
Mraah

Post by Mraah »

We just had a light dusting of snow on April 22nd..... it looked quite a lot like your efforts with the light coating on the roofs and trees....  I am looking forward to trying your map when you are finished with it!  Nice work.

Cool, thanks ... Do you think I should leave the buildings with the snow? I've been debating about changing them.

Rob
Redleg

Post by Redleg »

Rob:

I would use such a map as is..... but then, I would use the same map with the snow removed for a later battle, too.  Maybe one could build a pair of battles that took place a few days apart.  I suppose the second one could have some buildings wrecked but in the same place.... some wrecked vehicles littering the steppes.  I wonder if it would be possible to build a 2 scenario campaign?  I could see a German attack followed by a Soviet counter attack.  Lots of possibilities.

Pretty exciting stuff.

I am working on simple modifications to some of the existing scenarios..... generating campaigns and battles.  Surprising to me how well all of this stuff works.  I can see how you got caught up in what you are doing.

CAIO,
Redleg

Mraah

Post by Mraah »

I would use such a map as is..... but then, I would use the same map with the snow removed for a later battle, too.  Maybe one could build a pair of battles that took place a few days apart.  I suppose the second one could have some buildings wrecked but in the same place.... some wrecked vehicles littering the steppes.  I wonder if it would be possible to build a 2 scenario campaign?  I could see a German attack followed by a Soviet counter attack.  Lots of possibilities.

Yes , it's possible, even for random campaigns. For the RCG ... If I build the first map normal, then the second map with ruins and litter, you can specify the first map ONLY in the 1st battle plan, and the second map ONLY in the 2nd battle plan. So, yeah, pretty simple. It's all in the battle plan, the randomness makes replayablity awesome!
Pretty exciting stuff.

You bet ... I've fallen out of my chair on several occasions when I discover something new! I might move my CPU to the floor and lie down to lessen the impact.
I am working on simple modifications to some of the existing scenarios..... generating campaigns and battles.  Surprising to me how well all of this stuff works.  I can see how you got caught up in what you are doing.

Cool. I need to stop fiddling around and finish the map. I'll just make the town, add a few new roads (thanks rick and stridor for how-to, I was doing it all backwards) ... then drop some flags ... and re-arrange the unit start locations. Then I can release a playable map , albeit basic, but playable non-the-less.

Rob
spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

Another nice one.
test

Return to “Maps, Models and Mods”