Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/14/2008 9:29:38 AM   
gladiatt

Sorry this question may be sound silly ?
i'm playing allies; it's 24th dec 1941.
cv Lady Lex and Enterprise coming back from Wake where they sunk 3 japanese CL;
my VB of dauntless had gain much experience, the worst pilots are around 79 xp !!!

So i would be willing to save a few for later (since i don't believe everything will go perfect evrytime). Is there a way to divide these VB squadrons, withdraw a part of them so as to save a few good pilots, and then replace them by "beginners" pilots ?
Should i transfer them to base (they are yet on their CV, in port), or is there another way ?

Post #: 1
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/14/2008 10:13:27 AM   
Alfred

I never touch my CV squadrons as too many bad things can happen.  However I believe, though others will be more accurate in their replies speaking from first hand experience, that to achieve what you want to do , you have to create a fragment.  Hence transfer the unit off the CV and put it ashore.  When you have a few damaged aircraft, transfer the unit back onto the CV and disband the shore based fragment.  This may work, but as I said, I personally don't have first hand experience.

Alfred

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 2
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/14/2008 10:17:47 AM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

I never touch my CV squadrons as too many bad things can happen.  However I believe, though others will be more accurate in their replies speaking from first hand experience, that to achieve what you want to do , you have to create a fragment.  Hence transfer the unit off the CV and put it ashore.  When you have a few damaged aircraft, transfer the unit back onto the CV and disband the shore based fragment.  This may work, but as I said, I personally don't have first hand experience.

Alfred

thanks, but how to create this fragment ?
I mean, there is no button appearing on my Sqdn to divide it, while it's on it's CV , in port. Is there a condition i don' meet and i don't know? Must the sqdn have damaged planes ?? (if so, i must wait, having receive absolutely no loss at all at wake...i mean for the sqdn, because the base fall at the first turn .....)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/14/2008 10:20:43 AM   
Alfred

When you transfer an air unit, you often get some planes to become damaged.  When an air unit has damaged planes, if you then transfer the unit, the damaged planes do not transfer and create a fragment.

Alfred

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 4
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/14/2008 8:53:06 PM   
Barb

Why to get those pilots out of carriers? Just (wait until Avangers arrives and then) strike some Japs carriers. That is the best you can do with them.

"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/14/2008 11:01:38 PM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Why to get those pilots out of carriers? Just (wait until Avangers arrives and then) strike some Japs carriers. That is the best you can do with them.

Well, i won't like the idea of just waiting for the avengers for having an action with my CV; it's too long. But the idea was to save a few REALLY good pilots for, say, 1943.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 6
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/14/2008 11:07:06 PM   
Terminus

Don't mess with those squadrons in any way. You can't "save" your pilots, you can't withdraw fragments, and you can't have more than 5 air units on any carrier at one time. It's a nonviable and bad idea.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 7
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/14/2008 11:20:12 PM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Don't mess with those squadrons in any way. You can't "save" your pilots, you can't withdraw fragments, and you can't have more than 5 air units on any carrier at one time. It's a nonviable and bad idea.

Whow, coming from somebody like you, this warning sound terrific and sound like the voice of a guardian angel
I will listen to it, and won't mess with my sqdrns.
(please aplogize if it sound irronic, it is not. I'm respectful of oldies who teach the newbies !! really. It's just a way of explaining the feeling it make on me )

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/14/2008 11:42:23 PM   
Terminus

gladiatt, don't be overly impressed with anything I say. The fact that I have 27,000+ posts on this forum doesn't mean anything when it comes to WitP (I'm a quite mediocre player).

However, I know a little bit about how the game works, and messing around with fragments of carrier group squadrons is a sure way to a place you don't want to go.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 9
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/15/2008 12:38:28 AM   
niceguy2005

Terminus is correct.  There really isn't a way to withdraw those pilots.  Plus, you don't want to.  Most of the IJN pilots will have experience in the 80s and 90s and the SBDS will be your best weapon for a while.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/15/2008 2:09:43 AM   
BrucePowers

Listen to these two. They know what they are talking about.

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 11
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/15/2008 2:12:43 AM   
Gem35

Yea, Terminus doesn't have anything of value in those million posts or so of his.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 12
RE: Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? - 4/15/2008 8:55:56 AM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Listen to these two. They know what they are talking about.

I'll listen to everyone ! How could i pretend having no need of lessons ?
So : any reply, any advice, is good for learning !!

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Dividing and whithdrawinf USN VB ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI