Historiker(A) vs. El Cid (J) RHS-EBO NO SID!

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Historiker

Historiker(A) vs. El Cid (J) RHS-EBO NO SID!

Post by Historiker »

I'm going to tell what I plan to do, so don't keep on reading, Sid!
I'm doing my turn atm, so the first reports come later.
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Elladan

RE: Historiker(Allies) vs. El Cid (Jap) RHS-EBO NO SID!

Post by Elladan »

I bet you don't have to fear Sid lurking here Torsten, his problem is rather opposite on times [;)] Could you let us know the main differences between this scenario and CVO & EOS? I assume no house rules has been drawn?
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Indeed, there are no House Rules. I asked for some as the use of HRs is quite common, but Sid insisted that RHS is designed to require no HRs.
Moreover, many HRs are there to make it easier for the Japanese player (like the 10.000 feet rule) and as I play the Allied side, there's no need if my opponent doesn't want them!

To EBO
EBO is - if I understood correctly - a scenario that assumes that only the Washington Naval Treaty was signed. So both sides start with considerable more Battleships and Cruisers, as the building programs for both were started with pre-war doctrines.

One significant thing in the first turn was, that I was not restricted in any way. Why this seems to be great for an allied player, I started thinking that it might be preferable to have a "don't leave the ports" rule while perparing my first turn. You can't imagine how difficult it is to decide what to do. The enemy may show up everywhere, he may attack every port, he may have carriers near every allied starting position.
So what to do? Leave the ports to avoid a port attack? But if you let your ships head for the wrong direction, they may be caught at sea, which is even worse!

My overal doctrine for the first month of this game is inspired by the poet Samuel Butler, wo wrote (my translation as I didn't find the original): "Who flees may win later, a dead man has fallen forever"...
So I will retreat whereever I don't expect a benefit for the total war. Every unit I avoid to be destroyed totally will be very usefull from mid 42 on. I have an intended frontline I where I want to stop him, but I'm not sure whether this is achievable in RHS (and EBO), so later more...
But not every unit will be used in this way - as I said "whereever I expect a benefit". So there'll be an intensive use of naval units in the first weeks, as this is - IMO - the only moment in the war, where surface units on their own may still show a significant impact.
The Japanese player can't have carriers everywhere, he hasn't established airfields, yet. Moreover, most Japanese player will be more aggressive than what's good for them. That means, most landings will only have an ill protection, as the Japs only have a handfull of BBs and CAs.
When I take the initiative in this moment, I can achieve great victories!
Moreover, in this stage of war, the Allied player has a lot of ships that are quite useless in my eyes. Gunboats without significant firepower and without DCs (and no DCs in further uprades). This ships will be used to divert attention and to delay the enemy.
If an unprotected landing has "retreat allowed", the TF will retreat even after the attack of a small gunboat with only 2 4in guns. Every single sysdamage I inflict may slow down the enemy ship, so later invasions take more time.
Moreover, this small ships can use up enemy ammunition and provide me with accurate intel.

So my intentions in particular:

China:
It seems that I have overwhelming forces there - I just have to use them. For the chinese troops, it will be the most important to have sufficiant supplies - which is nearly impossible to assure.
So the main goal for the first years can't be to throw out the Japs, it must be to get a stable front and to inflict damage to him. To achieve this, a shortening of the front is essential.
I intend to get a shorter front by immediate attacks on some positions while I'm willed to give up others. Allied airpower from china will be strengthend permanently, to inflict as much damage as possible to his supplies.

Western Front
I intend to stop the Japanese in Burma, but I'm prepared if he should try to invade India by sea.

Central Pacific
He can take as much as he wants! I will only try to stop him if I have sufficiant troops and supplies to be sure that I actually CAN stop him! It doesn't help me anything if I ship 3 US Divisions to the Fijis when I don't have enough Carriers and LBA to threten the KB that might show up to blockade the island. If this happens, he may ship in 6 Divisions that he keeps supplied well while mine starve to death and I'll finally have to take out at least some fragments for not loosing the whole units.
So If I decide to hold an Island, there'll be enough garrison that he will be without any serious chance.

Australia
Building airbases here and prepareing for a possible invasion.

First turn:
To avoid unnecassary losses, I've done sveral things like evacuationg Clark Field. It was totaly clear to me that he'll bomb it, so why letting him destroy a hundred planes there as my 40 fighters will never be able to stop them.
I've retreated the ships from PH but he managed to sink 2 BBs and 1 CL. I expect several additional losses the next round, as I've assigned a number of TFs that'll attack his landing forces.
More information will be provided as soon as I've talked with sid and I'm back at hime.
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Elladan

Post by Elladan »

Interesting plans, could you share more details regarding Burma? What do you want to send there as reinforcements?
As for the Pacific islands I have to agree, not much to be gained from keeping them at all cost, later you will easily pick those needed and leave others as PoW camps for their garrisons.
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

I will do the same ugly thing again, that proved to be very succesfull in another PBEM that is in 12/42 now...
I will retreat to Mandalay to have the advantage of being behind a river. Mandalay will be reinforced by some Indian and Chinese units and usually will already have fortress 6-7 when the Japs arrives. If he sends in more, I can easily reinforce Mandalay from Calcutta with Transport planes or by land route if there's enough time.
The rest will stand ready for "Operation Cannae"... [:D]

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

As for the Pacific islands I have to agree, not much to be gained from keeping them at all cost, later you will easily pick those needed and leave others as PoW camps for their garrisons.
Yes, that's it!
If he wants Hawaii and reinforces it heavily - he may have it! There are dozends of other possibilitys to threaten the Home Islands without having to reconquer the islands. Let him conquer this islands, build up every airport and harbour to its maximum, expand the repair shipyards. If he wants, he may send 500 bombers and 500 fighters there together with 10 Divisions, so that reconquering would be extremely bloods...
If he wants, he can do so! Then he'll still have 10 Divisions and 1000 planes on Hawaii when Stars and Stripes fly over the Imperial Palace in Tokyo [:D].
There are only 4 things that I won't let him conquer:
1. Whole India
2. Australia
3. The West Coast
4. Siberia
(5. China, but he won't be able to do so!)
He may try to get the rest...

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

12/8/41
Everything goes like expected!

PI
One of my "expandable" ships met an enemy... - and did it's job well!

Day Time Surface Combat at 44,48

Japanese Ships
ML Tsubame, Shell hits 5, and is sunk

Allied Ships
PG Moth

To slow the enemy down, some units were ordered northwards on Luzon - and the enemy didn't notice them to arrive:
Ground combat at San Fernando [PH]

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 9481 troops, 228 guns, 40 vehicles, Assault Value = 458

Defending force 15092 troops, 210 guns, 41 vehicles, Assault Value = 605

Japanese max assault: 376 - adjusted assault: 116

Allied max defense: 654 - adjusted defense: 179

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese ground losses:
766 casualties reported
Guns lost 27
Vehicles lost 4

Allied ground losses:
55 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

It prooved to be the right descision to evacuate Clark Field as the enemy tried to destroy our air power:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Angeles/Clark [PH] , at 43,51

Japanese aircraft
A6M2/Ki-65 Zeke x 92
G3M2/Ki-42 Nell x 53
G4M1/Ki-50 Betty x 79
Ki-48-I Lily x 30
Ki-21-II Sally x 17

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
117 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Vehicles lost 2

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 73

China
Chinese fighters engaged enemy planes - and performed quite good!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Changsha [S China] , at 45,37

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27/A5N2 Nate x 8
Ki-48-I Lily x 12
Ki-32/30 Mary/Ann x 10
Ki-46-II/C7M2 Dinah x 3

Allied aircraft
P-43A Lancer x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27/A5N2 Nate: 1 destroyed
Ki-32/30 Mary/Ann: 2 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
95 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 11

Malaya
The RAF attacked an enemy TF off near Singapoore:

Day Air attack on TF at 24,49

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV/Bolngbrk x 13
Brewster 339D/F2A x 5
Buffalo/F2A x 22
Vildebeest/Vincent x 20
Wirraway CA-1 x 6

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV/Bolngbrk: 1 damaged
Vildebeest/Vincent: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
ML Ayatosan Maru
ML Mogamigawa Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
ML Kasuga Maru
DM Hatsutaka

An enemy attack on the airfield of Singapore was intercepted by RAF and Dutch fighters, which managed to break through the fighter cover:
Day Air attack on Singapore [UK] , at 22,51

Japanese aircraft
A6M2/Ki-65 Zeke x 7
G3M2/Ki-42 Nell x 49
G4M1/Ki-50 Betty x 2

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D/F2A x 6
Buffalo/F2A x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2/Ki-42 Nell: 5 destroyed, 10 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Brewster 339D/F2A: 2 destroyed
Buffalo/F2A: 1 destroyed

Runway hits 9

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

12/8/41
New Guinea + South Pacific
The Adelaide was ordered to attack - as this is a totally useless ship IMO - and it proved to be useless:
Day Time Surface Combat, near Lae [New Guinea] at 56,90

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 21 & Ch 22, Shell hits 4, on fire
AP Bangkok Maru, Shell hits 5, on fire
AP Saigon Maru, Shell hits 5, on fire

Allied Ships
CL Adelaide, Shell hits 2

Instead, the Pensacola which was detached to head for the enemy met some enemy ships landing troops on Tarawa:
Day Time Surface Combat, near Tarawa [Gilberts] at 84,95

Japanese Ships
DD Akatsuki, Shell hits 28, and is sunk
DD Hibiki, Shell hits 22, and is sunk
AV Kamoi, Shell hits 11, on fire, heavy damage
DM Tsugaru
AK Maebasi Maru
AK Mansei Maru
AK Matue Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire
AK Mito Maru
AK Tuyama Maru, Shell hits 1
AK Tyoko Maru
AK Yuri Maru

Allied Ships
CA Pensacola, Shell hits 9

Hawaii Area
I assigned several surface action TFs to attack enemy ships at the beaches where they are unloading troops. Each TF was assigned with 1CL and 4DD, the ships where choosen by their number of torpedoes. While I expect the enemy to be better in night battles, I hoped for some luck to surprise the enemy - and around 50 Torpedoes per TF might be enough even for BBs!

They performed as expected, but when the day came, some unliky ships were attacked and sunk by enemy airpower:

ASW attack near Lahaina [Maui] at 115,73

Japanese Ships
SS I-5, hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Ralph Talbot
DD Mugford
DD Helm
DD Blue

Night Time Surface Combat, near Lahaina [Maui] at 115,73

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso, Shell hits 4
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 1
CL Jintsu, Shell hits 3
DD Uzuki, Shell hits 1
DD Kikuzuki, Shell hits 1
DD Yuzuki
DE Ootori
DE Kasasagi
DE Hiyodori
DE Hayabusa, Shell hits 1
DE Hato
DE Sagi, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DE Kari
DE Kiji, Shell hits 2
BB Hyuga
BB Ise, Shell hits 2

Allied Ships
CL Helena, Shell hits 29, on fire, heavy damage
DD Blue, Shell hits 2
DD Helm, Shell hits 14, on fire, heavy damage
DD Mugford, Shell hits 1
DD Ralph Talbot, Shell hits 2

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso, Shell hits 6
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 3
CL Jintsu, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Uzuki, Shell hits 2
DD Kikuzuki
DD Yuzuki
DE Ootori
DE Kasasagi
DE Hiyodori, Shell hits 9, on fire, heavy damage
DE Hayabusa
DE Hato
DE Sagi, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
DE Kari
DE Kiji, on fire
BB Hyuga, Shell hits 3
BB Ise

Allied Ships
CL St. Louis, Shell hits 4
DD Case, Shell hits 2
DD Conyngham, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Reid
DD Ward

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 1
CL Jintsu, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Uzuki, Shell hits 1
DD Kikuzuki
DD Yuzuki
DE Ootori
DE Kasasagi
DE Hiyodori, on fire, heavy damage
DE Hayabusa
DE Hato
DE Sagi, on fire, heavy damage
DE Kari
DE Kiji, on fire
BB Hyuga, Shell hits 1
BB Ise

Allied Ships
CL Honolulu, Shell hits 58, on fire, heavy damage
DD Tucker, Shell hits 27, and is sunk
DD Aylwin, Shell hits 2

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso
BB Yamashiro
CL Jintsu, on fire, heavy damage
DD Uzuki
DD Kikuzuki
DD Yuzuki
DE Ootori
DE Kasasagi
DE Hayabusa
DE Hato
DE Kari
DE Kiji, on fire
BB Hyuga
BB Ise

Allied Ships
DD Litchfield, Shell hits 35, and is sunk

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso
BB Yamashiro
DD Uzuki
DD Kikuzuki
DD Yuzuki
DE Ootori
DE Kasasagi
DE Hayabusa
DE Hato
DE Kari
DE Kiji, on fire
BB Hyuga
BB Ise

Allied Ships
DD Chew, Shell hits 19, and is sunk

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso
BB Yamashiro
DD Uzuki
DD Kikuzuki
DD Yuzuki
DE Ootori
DE Kasasagi
DE Hiyodori, and is sunk
DE Hayabusa
DE Hato
DE Kari
DE Kiji, on fire
BB Hyuga
BB Ise

Allied Ships
DD Bagley, Shell hits 31, and is sunk

Day Air attack on TF at 112,80

Japanese aircraft
B5M/B5N/Ki-47 Kate x 43

Japanese aircraft losses
B5M/B5N/Ki-47 Kate: 4 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Downes, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Raleigh, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Cassin, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Dewey

Day Air attack on TF at 120,72

Japanese aircraft
A6M2/Ki-65 Zeke x 35
D3A2 Val x 47

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A2 Val: 3 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Reid
DD Ward, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CL St. Louis, Bomb hits 19, on fire, heavy damage

Day Air attack on TF at 120,72

Japanese aircraft
A6M2/Ki-65 Zeke x 13
B5M/B5N/Ki-47 Kate x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
B5M/B5N/Ki-47 Kate: 4 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CL St. Louis, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Case

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Midway
After the Allied landings at Canton Island and in the Hawaiian Island, I expected that an enemy landing on Midway is eminent.
To respond on this, CAs from the CV-TF nearby were detached to patrol the sea around Midway while the Carrier itself was ordered in a position NE of Midway. As expected, the enemy tried to land - and only tried!

Night Time Surface Combat, near Midway Island [USA] at 97,63

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E7K2 Alf: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai, Shell hits 47, and is sunk
DD Oite, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hayate, Shell hits 7, on fire
MSW W.11 & W.12
AP Yamatsuki Maru
AP Kiturin Maru
AP Nekka Maru
AP Kashiwara Maru
AP Kirishima Maru
AP Kumakawa Maru
AP Nichiryo Maru
AP Nissen Maru #2
AP Taiyo Maru
AP Terukuni Maru
AP Yamura Maru
AK Ryujin Maru
AK Takaosan Maru
AK Taki Maru
AK Tatuno Maru
AK Tenposan Maru
AK Terukawa Maru
AK Toyooka Maru
AK Udo Maru
AK Usa Maru
AK Yamamiya Maru

Allied Ships
CA Chicago, Shell hits 13, on fire
CA Astoria, Shell hits 8
DD Mahan, Shell hits 1
DD Drayton, Shell hits 5

Day Air attack on TF at 98,62

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 7
SB2U-2 Vindicator x 14
SBD-3/4 Dauntless x 33
TBD Devastator x 12

Allied aircraft losses
SB2U-2 Vindicator: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
AP Yamatsuki Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AK Takaosan Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Taiyo Maru
AK Udo Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
AK Tenposan Maru
AK Taki Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Toyooka Maru
AP Kashiwara Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hayate, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Oite, Bomb hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
AK Terukawa Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Nissen Maru #2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
372 casualties reported

Day Air attack on TF at 98,62

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 7
SB2U-2 Vindicator x 12
SBD-3/4 Dauntless x 32
TBD Devastator x 12

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3/4 Dauntless: 1 damaged
TBD Devastator: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Hayate, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
MSW W.11 & W.12, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kashiwara Maru, on fire, heavy damage
AP Nissen Maru #2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AK Takaosan Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AP Yamura Maru
AK Udo Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Ryujin Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Kirishima Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AK Toyooka Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Nekka Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AP Kiturin Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
351 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

After that defeat, the enemy fleet runs away and there's still no Japanese soldier on Midway!

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Doctrines:

Gaining and keeping the Initiative
This is indeed my primary objective. Not the strength of the forces but the initiative is the key to victory. Japans army was by several numbers stronger than the US Army in 1945 - but the US had won the war.
Germanys navy was neglible by its size in WW2 - nevertheless, it was able to force the Britons in keeping most of their ships for years in Europe. Germany had the initiative in naval warfare as it was always Germanys descicion where to strike and the Britons had to react.
If you take the shere numbers, it seems to be impossible i.e. that the Hood was sunk and the PoW was badly damaged by the Bismarck. How can Germanys Navy with only 2 light BBs and one heavy BB (in this time) cause this damage?
Quite simple: The Britons had to react and so where unable to commit all their strength at once. Moreover, they had to split their forces as it was always unsknown where the enemy will be the next time.
So in the case of the Kriegsmarine vs. RN, only a few ships were able to tie much more enemy ships down.

Or take the central pacific. Japan has to decide: Put 5 Divisions on each of a few important islands or divert the troops? Whatever it does, it's lost as long as it hasn't the initiative. If he has fortified some islands too much, I will bypass them, if he had garrisoned all, he'll only delay me.
But if he had the initiative, he might strike my ships and avoid me gaining any more land; he can cut off my forward bases and do the same with me.

I hope this examples shows how important the initiative is. Having the initiative allows me to mass my ships up to a local superiority even if I'm inferior in total. Everytime I bombard a base, he'll have to think "Is he prepareing an invasion?"; "How can I permit him to do this again?"; "What can I do against his forces?"

Land warfare
Unfortunately, I'm not good in land warfare in witp, so I have to do the best I can while I can't expect wonders. In general - as already told - I prefer having the men surviving rather then letting them wiped out.
My doctrine is mobile warfare - as far as this is possible in witp and in the PTO - rather than a static defence doctrine. That means, I'm always willed to cede territory. To win the war, I don't intend to occupy territory. To win the war, I intend to destroy the enemy forces. Regarding this, you can expect me withdraw while it's not necessary(, yet). I work with war tactics and strategys - especially german warfare - for 17 years now, so I hope I've learned a little bit [;)] To achieve this goals, I will i.e. present him weak flanks to invite him to break through while I have strong forces in reserve to cut off the attackers - like Feldmarschall Erich von Manstein did in southern Russia in early 43.
So here again, I try to keep the initiative as much as possible...

Air warfare
I have the advantege to get my planes for free - with the big disadvantage that I don't have any control over the question what I get.
Moreover, I hate to give away still working planes, so I intend to use up as many pools as possible. But if I let I-153 fly against his A6M there's only one result: His pilots get trained. So if I let him face my obsolete planes, they will be used in ground attack or airfield attack role - or I intend to mass them so much, that the shere number is decicive.
Meanwhile, I intend to avoid totally unnecassry losses. As a result of that, I've evacuated Clark Field. Defending it is helpless and every plane there would be destroyed now - while after evacuating it, I had no losses. Sids comment was:
Brilliant - imaginitive - unique - no one ever does that - effective - heaps of praise for such a decision.
Hearing this from the always critical sid is something I like [;)]

Avoiding useless casualtys doesn't mean I'll do Sir Robin with all air groups and everywhere. The last day, Singapore was attacked by a huge number of bombers where I managed to shoot down 5 of them with only one own fighter lost to enemy escorts (the other two were destroyed on the airfield). Defending Singapore makes much more sense, as he can only fight my planes with Zeroes, which reduces the nomber I might face. Moreover, every damaged plane has to mage a very long run home, so the enemy will face significant higher ops losses than on attacks from Formosa on Clark!

As I'm going to recieve huge numbers of bombers which in most cases are never used (at least the experience from other gamges), I intend to react on that. That means, the "cheap" bombers will be used extensively - mainly to attack enemy industry and airfields. While I get my planes for free, he has to produce every one. So if I bomb some of his planes with my "cheap bombers", it's a success, even if I have significant losses. 5 useless planes lost in return of one usefull on is a success - at least if this 5 planes aren't shot down by fighters which recieve +20xp for every kill.

So here again, I intend to gain and keep the initiative - as my bombardement of singkawangs airfield on day two witch 50 bombers showed. He now is forces to send additional fighters to keep the inteded number of fighters free for LR-CAP or sweeps, as he is forced to defend his airfields!

Naval Warfare
Initiative is the key here, too! It's only of secondary importance how much ships you have, if you are willed to use the ships you DO have! To fight is the mission of every warship in war, so my ships will get that chance. I will not wait until he does something, my attack against his ships at Midway and Tarawa were examples for this, further attacks will follow in the next days.
Everytime I attack, I'll force him to react. This delays his own plans, this diverts his attention, this avoids offensive actions by him. So have the initiative at sea is even more important than at land or in the air.

Still, he has the huge advantege to sit in the middle of all fronts. While it takes me 3-6 month (including necassary repairs after long seatravels) to send carriers from the US West coast to India, he can move the KB from Pearl to the Street of Malacca within some weeks.

But you can expect to see me conducting several intruding missions, several shore bombardements, etc.

So while I am going to play an aggressive naval warfare, you mustn't expect me to be too greedy. For instance, I will retreat my carrier from Midway now instead of hunting down the enemy landing force.
Why? Well, if I were him, I would send my carriers in to get the Carrier. ATM, it's a huge victory, but if I loose the CV in 2 or 3 days, it will turn into a huge defeat. As the war will continue, I expect to get some more chances for every single ship to sink it. So: Don't be greedy if you've already achieved a huge victory.

Historiker

Victory ad Midway - Enemy fleet runs away!

Post by Historiker »

The situation in china:
The green line including Nangchang shows the frontline I will agree to fall back if he forces me to. Nanchang is already under attack and I hope that I will take the city within the next week.
The blue line shows the citys that will get attacked after the Nanchang is conquered.
The orange line is the frontline I hope to achieve until late 42/mid 43
the red line shows Canton. My experience from CHS showed that its impossible to take the city, but as long as my troops are there, he can't attack from it northwards and the industry stands still - so its fine just to stay in there doing nothing

Attachments
China.jpg
China.jpg (131.77 KiB) Viewed 147 times

Historiker

RE: Victory ad Midway - Enemy fleet runs away!

Post by Historiker »

One example for my intend to keep the initiative - and a nasty surprise for Sid, I hope:

Attachments
wake.jpg
wake.jpg (58.83 KiB) Viewed 147 times

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

HMAS Adelaide also in offensive:

Attachments
Neuguinea.jpg
Neuguinea.jpg (86.18 KiB) Viewed 147 times

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Actual operations:

Burma:
I'm moving my troops to Mandalay to build up the city. ATM only the fortress gets built.

Malaya
No enemy landings here, but the enemy has put at least 9 units were put ashore in Singora. Despite having no troops on the peninsula, yet, I'm retreating my forces to Singapore. This is done to assure that the fortess gets built up ASAP. Moreover, it combines as much AAA as possible.
Later, I intend to evacuate all troops from the peninsula! Why? Well, if I leave them there, I will loose 1000 AV or more - just to buy half a month or a month of time. This troops will prove their worth much more elsewhere!

DEI
I started mining everything and the tankers start shipping oil to Perth and fuel to Darwin.
I started to combine my ships to form a powerful SAG against his surface forces. the last days, three BBs were bombarding Cagayan, so there'll be sufficiant targets and only the CVE-CG. The Kates on them only carry 250kg AP bombs, so no real threat to the BBs while the bombs are of course enough to endange Cruisers and destroyers. As Caga has fallen, I'm afraid there'll also be Bettys there, soon.

New Guinea
The enemy has landed on Biak, Hollandia, Kavieng, Lae, Buna and Rabaul. Enemy Paras were dropped at Kokoda and Sorong.
The HMAS Westralia, an AMC, is assigned to attack enemy shipping at Biak, the HMAS Adelaide already attacked the enemy at Lae and is now underway to Kavieng.
Two more CA, three CL and one DD will arrive in the Solomons in about 4 days. I hope Rabaul holds out long enough that he hasn't H6K there, yet. If it is so, I will attack his ships at Rabaul with the Cruiser TF.

Midway
The Lexingon leaves Midway while the cruisers will stay at the island for one to three more days. The Island itself will not be reinforced, as it's alone and with one strike the airfield will be closed. As I only have three CVs there atm, there's no chance to break throug an enemy blockade of the island if the KB shows up - so no wasting of ressources there.

Mawaii
Lanai. Lahaina and Kona have fallen to the enemy. The airfield wasn't closed, so there are 27 fighters ready to fight again. As the airfield is still very damaged, no bombers have started, yet - but as soon as they do, I'll start to close the enemy airfields where no enemy planes are on, yet. If I should achieve this, I'll think about trying to hold PH - otherwhise I'll think about evacuation the most important parts off the island.

ATTU
IMO one of the most nasty islands on the map for the japs! There's already a chain of possible airfields to the island, so even if he had taken it, it's possible to retake it under the cover of landbased planes. If attu is built up, even Honshu lies in the range of 4e-Bombers! So as soon as Umnak Island has an airfield and Dutch Harbour is fortified, I'll start building Attu up.
Having the island I have the perfect possibility to divert his attention by landing in the Kuriles. If he lets me do so, the Jap HI will be even more in danger, if not, he needs to have a strong garrison there which can't be elsewhere...

Again: trying to take the initiative there!

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

I'm still wondering about how to make this AAR.

- For a Cuttlefish-design AAR, my english is way too bad and I lack the creativity. Moreover, I hate to copy... - especially when the copy is much worse than the original...
- For an AAR like Feinder oder Cap Mandrake write, I lake the knowledge in gfx-apps...
- A simple combat.txt is to primitive for me

So what to do?
- I might explain my tactics and strategy here like I already did.
- I might make a "propaganda-AAR", which exagerates and lies in a propably funny way. But for an AAR of that style, it would be better play the Japanese...

So if anyone is reading [;)] here and interested in an AAR by me: Suggestions?

Mistmatz

Post by Mistmatz »

So far I'm happy with the style you started with.
No extensive combat reports, some pics along with situation analysis and discussion of plans is the way to go. [:)]
If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_th ... ition_Wiki

Monter_Trismegistos

Post by Monter_Trismegistos »

Hi.

More details please. Where are you moving your units, and which ones.
Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą
Elladan

Post by Elladan »

Combat records should be avoided methinks, give us an overview of actions, situation and plans for each area. Those doesn't have to be done on daily basis, weekly would be fine unless there is a lot happening there.
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Ok, at least someone's reading here [:)]

So I will explain the general ideas - as already done in wide parts. But Radoslaw, this will make it very difficult for us to play against each other, when you know so much about what I think of naval warfare [;)]
I will keep on showing the shortened combat reports of big battles, as "a huge battle happend" might not be as interesting as the actual results.
More accurate informations about the forces involved will be provided.

So more informations:

TF1 "DEI" (get's assigned atm)
BB Prince of Wales (on the way to meeting point)
BC de Zeven Provincien
BC Repulse (otw)
CA Houston
CA Exeter (otw)
CL Kijkduin
CL Boise
CL Danae (otw)
CL De Ruyter
CL Tromp
CL Eendracht (otw)
CL Dragon (otw)
CL Durban (otw)
around 30 Destryers

Additional forces on the way but with an eta of +5 days:
CA Cornwall
CL Glasgow
CL Ceres
CL Colombo
CL Capetown
CL Dauntless

So 1BB, 2BC, 3CA and 13CL in total!
These forces will engage enemy ships - the 3 BBs in the area prefered - in the Celebs or Sulu sea

TF2 "ANZNF" not formed yet, but ships under way
CA Louisville
CA Pensacola (under way from Tarawa)
CA Canberra
CL Perth
CL Leander
CL Achilles
DD Le Triomphant

This TF will operate against enemy shipping at Rabaul and in the Solomon Sea

CA Portland will hit Wake Island this night. ATM, there are still enemy forces, but I don't know wheter the enemy warships are still there (my primary target as the APs and AKs will already have unloaded most of their freight.

Other surface elements are on their way to the Aleutians, to protect the area against possible enemy invasions. I've already written how important I consider Attu Island to be.

Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Turn 3

PG Moth, one of my "useless ships", was used to attack the enemy fleet at San Fernando. After sinking an enemy ML, I took her for recon not expecting she would survive the night.
This gave me the accurate information that there are 4 CA and eight DDs

AVD Childs was at Jolo on an ASW mission to attack the sub that was detected there two days ago. At night, the enemy fleet from Cagayan went in to bombard Jolo and sank the ship. So while ths ship is lost, he brings his BB closer and closer to TF1 [:D]

The CA Indianapolis with 5 DMS attacked an enemy ML at Canton Island and sank it

As expected, the CA Portland surprised him totally and sank an enemy AV and DE at Wake. If I manage to do some more missions like this, it will make him very uncertain where my ships may appear.

At Hawaii, he sank some survivors of the previous battles which were already nearly sinking. Also, only CLs and DDs which were already written off, so nothing to concern about!

The AMCs Manoora and Kanimbla bombarded Sinkawang. Strange, because I was absolutley sure that I ordered the Kanimbla to head for Brunai. Strange...

Several enemy TFs unloaded troops at Midway. This is VERY disappointing, as I left the two CAs and two DDs to intercept such an attempt. I don't know why they didn't attack, perhaps they were docked? [:@] Anyway, over 130 enemy AV now on the Island, so it'll be lost in some days.

The enemy attacked several airfields - as expected - and met neither opposition NORE planes! [:D] I do what every soldier knows: If you have revealed your position to the enemy: change it!

The enemy attacked both Rangoon and Singapore. Unfortunately, even the AVG showed no good performance despite my planes were even higher in numbers! At Singapore, he swept in and shot down a huge nomber while loosing only a few. Not so good, I guess I'll retreat both or reinforce them.

Return to “After Action Reports”