Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets Updated
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 5:22:58 PM   
Son_of_Montfort

I thought I would get an early start on this thread, to provide a decent place to post your impressions of buying, DL'ing, and playing PC:K.

I'm very on the fence with this one, never played PC:WS. So any and all impressions would be very helpful to those of us who can't make up our minds!

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Post #: 1
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 5:54:38 PM   
Grell

Hi SOM,

I thought you were being silly! LOL

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to Son_of_Montfort)
Post #: 2
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 5:57:40 PM   
thewood1

I laughed, I cried, it was better than CATS!

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 3
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 6:38:40 PM   
ravinhood

You are right for WAITING SOM as I have just found out something Erik never told us in allllllll this time while chatting with us and showing us AAR's. IE 7.0 REQUIRED...pFFFT on any game that REQUIRES and IE upgrade.

[Edit by Erik: The game does not require IE7. The original release of tools required IE7 to be _installed_ not used. The current update removes that requirement. Now only IE6 is required to be installed and that comes by default with Windows XP.]

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/5/2008 6:06:01 AM >

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 7:11:38 PM   
Son_of_Montfort

Wait, why does this make me seem silly? Erik said it would release today (which it has, at a very reasonable $39.99 price tag), so I thought I would create a place to put impressions. Why is this funny?

Now RH telling me that his is buying it is almost like giving it an "insta-buy" seal of approval. I mean, you NEVER buy anything at full price, so you must really see something here.

SoM

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 5
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 7:13:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort
Wait, why does this make me seem silly?

Because you posted it before release. People thought you were going to pretend to have first impressions already before having the game. It's an old forum tradition in some places...

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 6
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 7:53:37 PM   
Son_of_Montfort

Well Erik, it wasn't but an hour later before you posted that it was in store! Did I not let you know I was psychic? 

Now lets get those impressions rolling!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 8:02:00 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

Now RH telling me that his is buying it is almost like giving it an "insta-buy" seal of approval. I mean, you NEVER buy anything at full price, so you must really see something here.

SoM

Yup, I DID UNTIL I read about this stupid IE 7.0 requirement. Stay on the fence as this is not good at all not good at all.

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/10/2008 10:13:15 PM >

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Post #: 8
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 10:47:14 PM   
Mraah

Erik and all...

My first impression ... AWESOME!! thanks again!

Buying - no problem, discount worked, got physical + d/l, with discount like free physical!

DL'ing - again, no prob, less than an hour.

Playing PC:K - Having a ball!!! I love the new graphics and sounds!!

1. Started a RCG - 7th Panzer - 36 battles ... Without knowing what I was doing it spit out 36 battles. Excellent feature!

2. Question ... I noticed a destroyed Russian tank still had it's commander in the hatch. I didn't get a screen shot. It was dead, but didn't get close enough to see if he was dead or still alive. Next battle I'll post a screenier if I see it again.

3. Suggestion ... When clicking on an enemy unit I'd like to see a "reverse sighting unit", ie I want to see which of my units can see him. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it would be nice to figure out which of my units can see him 'faster' than having to cycle thru my units until I see the enemy unit.

4. My first battle ... I was hit my Russian Artillery on Turn 1 ... hmmph, how'd the A/I get a first turn bonus???

SILO OBSTRUCTION LOS PROBLEM ??? .... My second battle has begun ... I was placing my recon vehicle behind the silo and the LOS says that I can still see the T-34's ???? I got a screen shot of that with the LOS tool ... see below.

Thanks again guys!!! Erik, Mobius, Stridor, and all the dev team and beta dudes!!

Rob

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mraah -- 4/10/2008 10:48:49 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 10:53:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mraah
My first impression ... AWESOME!! thanks again!
Buying - no problem, discount worked, got physical + d/l, with discount like free physical!
DL'ing - again, no prob, less than an hour.
Playing PC:K - Having a ball!!! I love the new graphics and sounds!!
1. Started a RCG - 7th Panzer - 36 battles ... Without knowing what I was doing it spit out 36 battles. Excellent feature!

You're welcome!

quote:

2. Question ... I noticed a destroyed Russian tank still had it's commander in the hatch. I didn't get a screen shot. It was dead, but didn't get close enough to see if he was dead or still alive. Next battle I'll post a screenier if I see it again.

I've noticed that as well from time to time, it doesn't happen always but it does happen. We couldn't track it down before release and it didn't seem critical enough to hold the release, hopefully we'll be able to nail it soon.

quote:

3. Suggestion ... When clicking on an enemy unit I'd like to see a "reverse sighting unit", ie I want to see which of my units can see him. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it would be nice to figure out which of my units can see him 'faster' than having to cycle thru my units until I see the enemy unit.

Good suggestion.

quote:

4. My first battle ... I was hit my Russian Artillery on Turn 1 ... hmmph, how'd the A/I get a first turn bonus???

Check the manual. The Soviets get a bonus on Turn 1. They have all their HQs in contact on Turn 1 and can call in artillery immediately as if it were pre-planned. Of course, to take advantage of this they need to see someone during their 1st Turn Orders phase. We were discussing this in another thread, it's often a good idea to stay out of their sight on Turn 1 if possible. After Turn 1, Soviet artillery is quie unreliable - smal chance to be in contact, two turn delay. German artillery has a good chance to be in contact any given turn and has only a one turn delay.

quote:

SILO OBSTRUCTION LOS PROBLEM ??? .... My second battle has begun ... I was placing my recon vehicle behind the silo and the LOS says that I can still see the T-34's ???? I got a screen shot of that with the LOS tool ... see below.

Could be a map bug - can you post a larger screenshot of that map so I can identify it? Ideally, save the game, zip it up and e-mail it to me please.

quote:

Thanks again guys!!! Erik, Mobius, Stridor, and all the dev team and beta dudes!!

Our pleasure, enjoy.

Erik Rutins

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 10
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 10:55:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

By the way, that's the "Very Difficult" random campaign - if you're going to start with that one, I wish you good luck, that one challenges me even after all these games. I'd suggest for a new player playing that one on "Easy" and generating it with "Maximum" replacements rather than the default "Historical" as that will make it much easier to complete. Also, remember to use the HQ Helper if you get in trouble.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 11
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 11:01:11 PM   
Mraah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I've noticed that as well from time to time, it doesn't happen always but it does happen. We couldn't track it down before release and it didn't seem critical enough to hold the release, hopefully we'll be able to nail it soon.

Actually, it's kinda cool .. just replace the LIVE commander with a DEAD one , problem solved ... nice feature.

quote:

Check the manual. The Soviets get a bonus on Turn 1. They have all their HQs in contact on Turn 1 and can call in artillery immediately as if it were pre-planned. Of course, to take advantage of this they need to see someone during their 1st Turn Orders phase. We were discussing this in another thread, it's often a good idea to stay out of their sight on Turn 1 if possible. After Turn 1, Soviet artillery is quie unreliable - smal chance to be in contact, two turn delay. German artillery has a good chance to be in contact any given turn and has only a one turn delay.

Oh, I just got the game!! I'm suppose to read the manual??? hehe. Nice feature, seriously.

quote:

SILO OBSTRUCTION LOS PROBLEM ??? Could be a map bug - can you post a larger screenshot of that map so I can identify it? Ideally, save the game, zip it up and e-mail it to me please.

I still have the SETUP phase. I can zip it up now ... send to support@matrixgames.com ??

Thank you sir!!

Rob

Post #: 12
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 11:05:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

E-mail it to me please (use the little e-mail button under my post). Let's continue that discussion on your support forum thread and keep this one to first impressions.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/10/2008 11:07:43 PM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 13
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 11:12:08 PM   
Mobius

quote:

yeah, I noticed that on occasion too. I could not say if it was a model problem (since I made the T34 42) or an engine problem. If it doesn't have a coin it is dead.

quote:

Me too! I wanted this for a long time.

quote:

The thing I found is that there is lingering sight. Things don't just blink off or on because of the relative sighting. Since it is PBEM and turn based as a player you don't have to pay attention to each square meter of the map 100% of the time to see everything. So if an enemy did appear and disappear at the end of the turn it is possible still be sighted during the next orders turn. Then because of its new orders and actions its sighting factors would change and it may drop out of sight. That is what I think is happening with the silo. Next turn your 222 will probably not be in sight of the T34.

< Message edited by Mobius -- 4/10/2008 11:15:13 PM >

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 14
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 11:14:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius
The thing I found is that there is lingering sight. Things don't just blink off or on because of the relative sighting. Since it is PBEM and turn based as a player you don't have to pay attention to each square meter of the map 100% of the time to see everything. So if an enemy did appear and disappear at the end of the turn it is possible be sighted during the next orders turn. Then because of its new orders and actions its sighting factors would change and it may drop out of sight. That is what I think is happening with the silo. Next turn your 222 will probably not be in sight of the T34.

Sighting is updated regularly, let's continue this in the support thread please.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 15
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 11:15:20 PM   
ghostryder

Thanks for the tips Erik. My download is almost complete and i'll be sure not to set difficulty too high! I'm not that good a player to begin with

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 16
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 11:18:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ghostryder,

If you're new to Panzer Command, I would definitely recommend starting with the Tutorial Guide and the Tutorial Mission scenario, then from there to read the main game manual and the "Boot Camp" Campaign before you get into the real meat of the game, the historical scenarios and campaigns and the random battles/campaigns. Learning the game properly and all it can do will definitely help you succeed in the harder scenarios and end up making it more enjoyable.

Of course, some folks prefer to dive right in and I respect that.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ghostryder)
Post #: 17
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 11:18:53 PM   
Mobius

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius
The thing I found is that there is lingering sight. Things don't just blink off or on because of the relative sighting. Since it is PBEM and turn based as a player you don't have to pay attention to each square meter of the map 100% of the time to see everything. So if an enemy did appear and disappear at the end of the turn it is possible be sighted during the next orders turn. Then because of its new orders and actions its sighting factors would change and it may drop out of sight. That is what I think is happening with the silo. Next turn your 222 will probably not be in sight of the T34.

Sighting is updated regularly, let's continue this in the support thread please.
Right, but this is not a bug.

Post #: 18
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 11:21:20 PM   
Erik Rutins

Well, I don't know if it's a bug yet or not, though I'm leaning against. If there is an issue, its likely to be with that one silo as LOS works fine as far as I've seen. From his support post, he was still in the Setup phase rather than in the actual turns and that may be the difference. In any case, I just want to keep this thread as clear as we can for first impressions posts.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/10/2008 11:23:11 PM >

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 19
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 11:31:56 PM   
Mraah

quote:

Ghostryder,
If you're new to Panzer Command, I would definitely recommend starting with the Tutorial Guide and the Tutorial Mission scenario, then from there to read the main game manual and the "Boot Camp" Campaign before you get into the real meat of the game, the historical scenarios and campaigns and the random battles/campaigns. Learning the game properly and all it can do will definitely help you succeed in the harder scenarios and end up making it more enjoyable.
Of course, some folks prefer to dive right in and I respect that.
Regards,
- Erik

Speaking of Tutorial ... although the RCG is self explainitory, I didn't see any manual besides the how-to-edit. Anyway, when I built my RCG I had no problem ... except ... I wasn't too sure when it was finished ... it seemed to sit for a bit towards the end. I played it safe and waited until it said everything was saved OK. Again, not a problem, perhaps I need to read the manual, but hey ....

Rob

< Message edited by Mraah -- 4/10/2008 11:32:28 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/10/2008 11:34:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Speaking of Tutorial ... although the RCG is self explainitory, I didn't see any manual besides the how-to-edit. Anyway, when I built my RCG I had no problem ... except ... I wasn't too sure when it was finished ... it seemed to sit for a bit towards the end. I played it safe and waited until it said everything was saved OK. Again, not a problem, perhaps I need to read the manual, but hey ....

There's a manual addendum on the RCG and RBG - it's located in the Start Menu group for Kharkov under the Documentation sub-folder. Unfortunately the RCG interface was still a bit in flux when the manual went to print, so we had to put the final info in the addendum.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 21
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/11/2008 1:23:11 AM   
ravinhood

Ok when are those AI quality reports going to start pouring in? :) What difficulty are you playing on and how bad are you getting BEAT? ;) Looking for someone like me who usually plays their first games on the highest difficulties...anybody out there doing that? ;)

Post #: 22
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/11/2008 1:31:15 AM   
ghostryder

Following Erik's suggestion I played the turorial and here are my first impressions

Buying, downloading and installing went without a hitch as usual for Matrix titles. During installion options to install Netframe 1.1 and Direct X were offered. Although both were already installed I opted to go ahead with it- it simply looks for what needs updated and exits. An extra couple minutes. Game started up nicely- few seconds for it to load.

On the startup screen there is an option linking the tutorial-but this is also found under the start-programs menu as well. Under here is also your design and editing tools, a matrix catalog, the manual and a what's new readme and a few other thins I quickly browsed through.

I followed the tutorial except I failed to set the game on easy as suggested and went with normal. My advance line was somewhat different and the game played through with different results than in the tutorial. In that the game finishes with a marginal victory while I was able to pull off a historic victory. Again where I veered from the suggestions of the tutorial was somewhat minor. I only halted my halftracks on one turn keeping them pretty much in line with my tanks. On first contact in the tutorial the example had the leader tank getting stunned and returning fire-whereas my result was the anti tank shot missed and was immediately taken out one the second shot where it then exploded.

I think I advanced a little too quick as I was fully engaged two turns latter- where even the halftracks were returning fire- and I then took the objective before even my artillery became available. In fact unlike the tutorial the soviet incoming altilery never happened.-

from here I'm going to read the manul as suggested but my first take is the game is very easy to play. I'm completely new to the series and I found the interface easy and logical. The camera features very good and as a whole an excellent setup. The whole thing is designed for ease of play from the ground up-yet a lot of details can be brought up with a simple mouse click. If you don't have a middle mouse button the shift ket nicely subs for that and there's the tab key that takes you to an event and 3 default camera mods with the 1,2 and 3 keys. Navigating the map is about as easy as it can be.

One major selling point for me was the campaign mod and the random campaign mod with units that follow through. This roleplay aspect is what I would have liked in other games like Talonsoft's campaign series and I am very happy to see it here.

The graphics may not be whiz bang eye drop but they aren't bad by any means either. Very nice in fact. Track marks are left in the snow, smoke appears, fire is fast with trails and so on. No complaints here on the graphics whatsoever. They are detailed enough for my eyes while at the same time any halfway decent modeller should be able to model units into a mod very easily and they would look very much in place.

As mentioned this was just a quick runthrough on the tutorial and I've yet dived into a campaign- but I'd say there's an awful lot here for the very reasonable price of $39.95. I'll be playing a lot of this.

Thanks Erik and Matrix for another winner!

Post #: 23
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/11/2008 1:32:24 AM   
Badcat

Congratulations to matrix on their new release. I just have one question after getting burned on purchasing 2 games from other software companies, (Vista issues) will there be a demo released?
Thanks,
Wayne

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 24
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/11/2008 1:35:20 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ghostryder
Thanks Erik and Matrix for another winner!

Thanks for the excellent first impressions! Enjoy!

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ghostryder)
Post #: 25
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/11/2008 1:36:34 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Badcat
Congratulations to matrix on their new release. I just have one question after getting burned on purchasing 2 games from other software companies, (Vista issues) will there be a demo released?

Eventually, most likely but we haven't set a date or started work on it yet. I will say this though, we tested Kharkov on Vista quite a bit and it worked perfectly every time, no issues whatsoever. In fact, I believe we included Vista in our "recommended" harware requirements.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Badcat)
Post #: 26
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/11/2008 3:19:56 AM   
Rick

I've just finished installing this to my laptop. This laptop is at the low end (almost falling off the edge of the low end) of the spec reqirements. It wouldn't run the PCOWS demo even after loading some graphical "emulators".

In any event, I thought I'd give PCK a try on the laptop since Erik made a comment on one thread that it might work.

Low and behold, I installed and fired it up and set everything to low and if came up just fine. I just started the tutorial and didn't play too far, but the PCOWS demo ALWAYS failed when it finished loading the animations. I played through couple of turns.

So thanks good job on this! I'll be able to enjoy it while I'm on the road now.

Rick

Post #: 27
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/11/2008 3:21:09 AM   
Erik Rutins

Great to hear, we really put an effort into making sure it would work on lower end systems. It may not look pretty, but it will run.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 28
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/11/2008 10:01:11 AM   
Ardem

Well I purchased the bundle being a huge CM player, I came in after reading the forums expecting a very cut down version, and in many respects I was right, but still enjoyable to play. Some unique command offering such as Bound and more platoon style commands which I have enjoyed.

But my main reason for purchase was the Random Campaign Generator, although nice I am a little disappointed, and this may be due to my lack of knowledge, but I one major issue that I would like to be able to do and that is change the core units. The Generator feel very light on and I believe there is much more you can progress with this.

Also some wish list things are, which will help the longevity of the game
- Choose the majority of the style of opposition, rather then very similar opponents on different maps. (tank heavy force one map inf heavy force the next)
- Ability to choose how big the core force are, so can play a battalion rather then a cut down battlegroup.
- ability in battle generator to choose your forces would be nice as well, at the moment it seems I can select the whole lot and not 'cherrypick' aka pick a tiger or so forth.

-----
Also a small bug that is really annonying is when vehicles can stuck on other vehicles and don't move or reserve back and find a new path, you have to manually plot a course and most times you have to wait till a non reaction phase.

I am enjoying the game, although already I know it will be a 1-2 month game v a many year obsession, but I think you can go much further in future releases, even by not running towards a cm like game, I think there is a lot more scope you can do just in AI interaction and ability to play more random aspect.

PS any engineering defences in this other then mines?

Hopefully you have not found my comments to much of a put down, but I feel there is a lot more this game can use to install a wow factor. Keep up the good work.

Post #: 29
RE: Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions - 4/11/2008 11:39:52 AM   
Tomus

My first impression is excellent. I'm loving the variety of campaigns and the setting. Its still a very hard game to play and I'm finding I'm getting horribly chewed up by the Russians. But that is all part of learning curve. Also which is a bonus is that the LOS seems much more realistic now, in WS it always felt slightly unrealistic. Units that should have been spotted simply weren't. Good game so far!

< Message edited by Tomus -- 4/11/2008 11:41:16 AM >

(in reply to Ardem)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> Panzer Command: Kharkov Impressions Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI