Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't get task force to move where I want!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Can't get task force to move where I want!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't get task force to move where I want!! - 3/25/2008 5:52:53 AM   
derhexer

I'm playing the First Year scenario. Very entertaining and I can get a good feel for the problems both sides faced.

However, I have a minor problem.

Two days after war broke out, I formed two tasks forces - one with 2 cruisers and 2 destroyers in Sydney, the other with 2 cruisers in Auckland. I sent them to rendezvous south of Rabaul figuring I'd do some damage to the Japanese invasion force heading toward Rabaul.

I merged the two tasks forces south of Rabaul and found the HMAS Canberra was the flagship. However, I could not get that tasks force to move north between New Briatin and New Ireland and cover Rabaul.

Next turn, I found that task force was east of New Ireland and heading to San Francisco. I could not get that force to move either west toward Rabaul or south toward new Caledonia. I finally split it up, directed each ship to move to New Caledonia. The HMAS heavy cruiser Canberra insisted on going to San Francisco.

So, what did I do wrong or what am I missing. (BTW, I set Retirement to Patrol/Do Not Retire)
Post #: 1
RE: Can't get task force to move where I want!! - 3/25/2008 7:12:57 AM   
bradfordkay

You need to set the home port to someplace a lot closer than San Francisco. The problem is that their home port is so far away that all they can think of is to return to base before they run out of fuel.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to derhexer)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't get task force to move where I want!! - 3/25/2008 4:38:59 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

You need to set the home port to someplace a lot closer than San Francisco. The problem is that their home port is so far away that all they can think of is to return to base before they run out of fuel.

Also, check which regions you have under computer control. It sound like either the problem that bradfordkay mentioned is happening, or a regions under computer control is taking over the TF.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't get task force to move where I want!! - 3/26/2008 6:19:54 PM   
engineer

One other piece of the engine that is a problem in that part of the map is the routing routines like to keep ships in deep water instead of of the littoral.  So instead of plotting a two or three hex direct course through coastal waters (doubtlessly with phantom torpedo boats waiting in every cove) a six or seven hex course in deep water around the islands gets plotted unless you opt for a plodding advance with a two hex advance with "patrol/do not retire" toggled. 

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Can't get task force to move where I want!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI