Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campaigne Series vs Battleground series

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Campaigne Series vs Battleground series Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campaigne Series vs Battleground series - 3/15/2008 7:02:15 PM   
big dawg

hello guys,

I play the WWII Campaign Series game previously released by Talonsoft but now the JT Matrix version. I played for years vs the AI, but joined The Blitz Wargaming Club a few years ago, and now play by email (PBEM).

Is the Battleground series AI similar to the Campaign Series?

I like turn based games and was wondering if the battleground plays well as a stand alone game, or does it do better PBEM?

THANK YOU. Jack

Post #: 1
RE: Campaigne Series vs Battleground series - 3/15/2008 9:17:34 PM   
captskillet

Dawg this forum is for the Battleground Civ War and Napy series.........this is the link for the JT Campaign Series........JT Campaign Series

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 2
RE: Campaigne Series vs Battleground series - 3/16/2008 2:20:37 AM   
big dawg

Aye Cap'n,

Is the Battleground series AI similar to the Campaign Series AI?

I like turn based games and was wondering if the battleground plays well as a stand alone game, or does it do better PBEM?

THANK YOU. Jack

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 3
RE: Campaigne Series vs Battleground series - 3/16/2008 3:40:18 PM   
Grell

Hi BD,

The AI is decent.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 4
RE: Campaigne Series vs Battleground series - 3/17/2008 9:42:20 PM   
jdew

Is the Battleground series AI similar to the Campaign Series AI?

Similar in some ways. 

A couple of differences...

The ACW and Nap Battleground series use scripts for the AI. You can edit these or create new ones with the scenario editor. Unfortunately, the Nap series editor didn't get included in the Matrix package. But the old one works.... provided you have the original Talonsoft CD's.

Another difference is the "Command Control" option where you simply issue orders to subordinate units at a level you select (corps, divisions, brigades, etc)... "attack this or defend that" sort of thing. Then its up to the AI to carry out those orders.  It does take some getting used to but really places you in the role of the army's commander, issuing orders to your generals instead of pushing regiments around as if you were galloping around somehow instantly everywhere all at once.

In general the AI is ok, particularly as the defender. Like all AI, it can be competative only to an extent though.  You'll see it go a little nutty or just clump its troops around an objective and refuse to budge from time to time. The AI doesn't appear to see the big picture, just the details of its units and objectives; but that's not unusual for any tactical AI.

Plays pretty well stand-alone all things considered. Like the Campaign series though, there's only so much the AI can do.

So bascially, since you PBEM the Campaign series you'll probably eventually want to do the same with the Battleground series once you get the hang of how ACW or Napoleonic armies work.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 5
RE: Campaigne Series vs Battleground series - 3/17/2008 10:56:52 PM   
1925frank

Hi Jack,

I had the old Battleground games.  I thought the Battleground AI was weaker than the Campaign Series AI.  Like Campaign Series, the only way to improve the AI was to adjust where the AI fell in the combat tables.  I'm not sure if the adjusting the AI threw in additional troops for the AI.  I don't believe you can adjust the AI's tactical abilities.  I think I read somewhere on one of these threads that the larger the scenario, the more trouble the AI has.  I don't have the Matrix version, so if my memory fails me, or if Matrix has made some improvements, someone else will have to speak up.

Regarding PBEM play, I never tried that.  My concern was the Battleground games played through a series of phases within a single turn, which would require the swapping of files several times before completing a single turn.  It apparently works, however.  My impression was if you bought the game strictly for play against the AI, it wouldn't be long before you found the AI to be a pushover.

You've seen my PBEM abilities in Campaign Series, so that should give you some pause. 

(in reply to jdew)
Post #: 6
RE: Campaigne Series vs Battleground series - 3/19/2008 4:18:01 AM   
big dawg

THANKS SO MUCH!  That was very helpful.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 7
RE: Campaigne Series vs Battleground series - 8/21/2008 6:42:11 PM   
andym

if you like the JTCS then you should like these.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 8
RE: Campaigne Series vs Battleground series - 8/22/2008 8:11:56 PM   
1NWCG

The AI pales in comparison to playing a human and the larger scenario it is the harder the AI has handling it.  My suggestion is to play PBEM once you are ready.

For Napoleonic’s try both of the Clubs listed in my signature.

Wargame Clubs - http://www.wargame.ch

The Blitz - http://www.theblitz.org/

Two of the Internet's Oldest Wargaming Collectives

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Campaigne Series vs Battleground series Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI