Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New scenario - Operation Sealion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> New scenario - Operation Sealion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New scenario - Operation Sealion - 3/14/2008 3:46:50 PM   
Count Sessine

Hi all

I've pretty much finished my Sealion scenario depciting events around Hythe and Folkestone during the first wave of a German invasion of Britain in 1940. I'll do some final testing later today, then I'll upload it somewhere.

The map is 15*24km and drawn from 1940 Ordnance Survey maps.

I previously did a scenario for HTTR, 'Crossing the Moselle', but apart from that I have no experience with COTA scenario design, so please be gentle :-)

Brief to both sides:

What-if scenario

Operation Sealion is underway. Arguably the biggest gamble in military history is about to unfold.

The premises for this what-if scenario are: 1/ Luftwaffe have fought the Royal Air Force to a stalemate in the air over the Channel coast, 2/ The Royal Navy Home Fleet, basing mainly out of Scapa Flow, will be at least two days before it makes its presence felt in the Channel. When it arrives, Kriegsmarine will have to fight and win a decisive battle to keep supplies flowing into the beachheads.

The Wehrmacht have landed with six infantry and gebirgsjäger divisions (not nine as originally planned, there wasn't enough transport) in different beachheads along the English channel coast with support from the Luftwaffe Fallschirmjäger and various commando units.

The situation on the ground is dire for the British. After the very recent debâcle in France, Army forces on British soil number just 22 divisions. Actual historical sources indicate these were at about 50% strength during the summer of 1940, and that they were almost completely de-motorised. The vaunted Home Guard, although numerous (at about 1.5 million men at its height), had almost no weapons at this time, only 1 in 20 men were armed, and no training to speak of. Coastal defenses were, according to Fieldmarshal Alan Brooke, scattered and mostly for show and morale purposes.

This scenario describes events around Hythe and Folkestone during the initial landing. At the start of the scenario, the German 17th Infantry Division is landing south of Hythe, and German Fallschirmjäger are parachuting in to seize the high ground north of Folkestone. The British will have to scramble everything to contain the beachhead with their limited ressources. With only 22 regular Army divisions, and six beachheads to cover, they will be thin on the ground.

The vital prize in this sector is Folkestone harbor - without it, the Germans will not be able to land vital heavy equipment, supplies, artillery, panzers, and the invasion will ultimatively fail.

< Message edited by Count Sessine -- 3/15/2008 3:49:09 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/14/2008 6:25:45 PM   
PanzerHue

Sounds very interesting!
Looking forward to play it.

Best regards...

(in reply to Count Sessine)
Post #: 2
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/14/2008 6:37:14 PM   
Grell

Wow that really sounds impressive.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to PanzerHue)
Post #: 3
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/14/2008 7:47:37 PM   
Franklin Nimitz

Looking forward to it. Sounds like a tough battle from either side.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 4
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 12:27:34 AM   
Mehring

I used to play, and enjoyed, the SPI Sealion game, which covered three invasion plans at a larger scale. You have my attention. :)

(in reply to Franklin Nimitz)
Post #: 5
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 12:38:19 AM   
Arjuna

Count Sessine,

If you like we can add your scenario to the downloads section of the official COTA website. In any event I would also recommend you upload it to the Wargamer's Hames Depot site:
http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 6
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 1:03:02 AM   
Count Sessine

Arjuna: I'd really appreciate it if you would host it on your site. I can email it to you if you like. I haven't had too much luck with the Gamesdepot.

Re the scenario, I'm obviously having trouble with the gamebalance. I could just keep tweaking it, I think But I guess that if you guys play it, we can adjust it based on your input.

Here's a screen of the map:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 7
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 1:05:53 AM   
Count Sessine

Also, I really miss some HTTR-like colors for this terrain (the old mod doesn't work because it misses some height layers). The british countryside just doesn't look right with the sunburned look :-)

Post #: 8
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 1:10:11 AM   
Arjuna

Re playtesting. Yep ask the general community for feedback once it is out, then tweak it until it gets right.

Re map patterns. Just duplicate the existing COTA ones and play with the colours and patterns in a paint program. Then in the ScenMaker link your map to these new patterns - it's easy, have a go.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 9
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 1:15:26 AM   
Arjuna

Just did a search on my hard drive here and found the following HTTR map patterns that purport to work in COTA. I can't recall where these came from. But try them out. The file has an "txt" extension. Just change this to "zip" and unzip it.

Attachment (1)

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 10
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 1:30:59 AM   
Count Sessine

Arjuna: that HTTR file is the one with the letters A, B, C instead of the top five height layers, so it doesn't really work. Anyway, I'm not much of a graphics guy, so that'll have to wait :-)

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 11
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 2:30:50 AM   
06 Maestro

Count Sessine

Your map looks good to me; England is gray most of the time anyway, isn't it?

If play balance is all that's left for you to do on your scenario, go ahead and upload it. Balancing a scenario is a lot of work for one guy-there are plenty of players out here that will be happy to help out.

Post #: 12
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 3:38:16 AM   
Count Sessine

Ok, I will.

Here is the updated map, with british colors:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 13
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 3:45:17 AM   
Count Sessine

Ok, file is up on Wargamer, http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=4605&u=1

Pending approval...

Post #: 14
RE: New scenario, imminent release - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 3:49:12 AM   
Count Sessine

Ok, discovered the first error, the bridges unprimed themselves at some point, they're supposed to be PRIMED :-)

Post #: 15
NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 5:29:41 AM   
Rooster

This scenario is now posted at: http://cota.matrixgames.com

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 4:51:26 PM   
Count Sessine

Thanks Rooster. The scenario that Rooster has uploaded is the most recent, map updated with new colors, and a few errors corrected (like the bridges and a couple of towns that had disappeared :-)).

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 17
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 7:41:46 PM   
Johnus

Dowloaded scenario into my scenario file. Moved the Folkestone map to the map file but I still can't get scenario to work. Can you give me step by step directions. Thanks.

< Message edited by Johnnie -- 3/15/2008 7:42:58 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 8:16:47 PM   
Count Sessine

The AAS file goes into the 'scenarios' folder, the AAM file goes into 'maps'.

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 19
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 8:26:16 PM   
Johnus

Count Sessine:

Copied map file into map folder; scenario file into scenario folder and still get error message and CTD. Other scenarios work fine.

Any ideas ?? Is it working for others ??

I do notice that no "AAM cache" file has been created for the new scenario.

< Message edited by Johnnie -- 3/15/2008 8:29:02 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 8:59:57 PM   
pkpowers

I've downloaded and installed many user scenarios for httr and cota...but I'm having the same CTD as listed above

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 21
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/15/2008 11:13:30 PM   
HercMighty

Guys,

Put the files in:

\Conquest Of The Aegean\Scenarios
\Conquest Of The Aegean\Maps

Open: Cota_MM.exe (it is at the root directory of COTA)

Open the Map (File | Open | Browse to the new map), read error, and save map saving it in the directory above and overwriting the existing file.

From the Map file menu drop down select Generate Map Draw Cache, acknowledge the pop up and wait. When done close everything and start COTA.

Everything should now work correctly.

(in reply to pkpowers)
Post #: 22
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/16/2008 12:26:20 AM   
Johnus

HercMighty:

Thanks for posting. Frankly, however, I'll wait for scenarios that work without all that tweaking. I'm sure that, if I try to follow your directions, I'll only mess up my COTA file.

< Message edited by Johnnie -- 3/16/2008 12:27:05 AM >

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 23
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/16/2008 12:27:28 AM   
HercMighty

Your loss not mine.

Good scenario.

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 24
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/16/2008 12:40:11 AM   
Johnus

HercMighty:

After reading your follow up post, I felt like a wimp. So I followed your directions. Lo and behold it worked. And, yes, it does look like a good scenario.

Thanks again and thanks to Count Sessine.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 25
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/16/2008 1:33:33 AM   
Count Sessine

Hm, I don't use a map cache, but is it recommended to make one for each map?

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 26
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/16/2008 2:53:12 AM   
HercMighty

Needed? Dunno. Helps with something. Arjuna or someone can probably explain. They usually also do not come with the scenario that people make as they tend to be rather large.

Post #: 27
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/16/2008 2:56:36 AM   
HercMighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Johnnie

HercMighty:

After reading your follow up post, I felt like a wimp. So I followed your directions. Lo and behold it worked. And, yes, it does look like a good scenario.

Thanks again and thanks to Count Sessine.

Glad to hear it. These guys put in lots of their own time and sometimes a little work on our end is needed. I've haven't seen the directory error before, but I always go make the cache file. They can be large so its better if they don't include it and it doesn't take long to make it on our end.

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 28
RE: NOW POSTED - Operation Sealion - 3/16/2008 3:28:51 AM   
Arjuna

Can someone please advise the specific error message you got?

Re MapCaches. You do not need these to run the scenario, but havi9ng one speeds the map drawing ( which is a good thing ). The reason this was not included is to reduce the download size. If Count Sessine provides one, I'll ask Dan to add it to the downloads page.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 29
RE: New scenario - Operation Sealion - 3/16/2008 4:12:13 PM   
HercMighty

"this maps graphic directory (Graphics\Map\NW Europe) does not exist on your machine and has been reset to the default directory. You must save the map to keep this change."

So the map was saved in something other than the default directory at creation.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> New scenario - Operation Sealion Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI