Help Files Not Available in Vista

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
LeonKing

Help Files Not Available in Vista

Post by LeonKing »

I recently downloaded John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars and as a first time gamer I looked for the Help files. The downloaded version reported that the Help files were unavailable in the Vista Operating System because they were programed in prior OS and now were not in a compatible format. Is there a solution to this problem? It seems to me that the Help files should be available if the program is marked Vista compatible.
TonyE

RE: Help Files Not Available in Vista

Post by TonyE »

You can view most help files in Vista if you download the older help viewer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
LeonKing

Post by LeonKing »

Thank you for the information. The Microsoft download worked. Is it not unreasonable to expect the programmer of Battleground Napoleonic Wars to follow the advice available from Microsoft for updating the Help files for the program? No reply required or requested. Again, thanks!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

LeonKing,

You can also find this in the tech support forum for that title here:

tm.asp?m=1611548

With that said, I thought we'd included this in the updated installer so that new customers wouldn't run into that. How recently did you purchase this and download it from our store? Or was this a physical (boxed) copy?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
LeonKing

Post by LeonKing »

Erik

In answer to your question of when I downloaded my copy of John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars it was on March 3, 2008, Order Number 136156288, from Digital River. It would appear that the downloadable files have not been updated for the HELP file revision dictated by Microsoft with the release of Vista OS. I also received the physical copy on March 6, 2008 but have not tried to install to see if the CD included in that shipment has updated HELP files.

Although I have reasonable expertise and proficiency with PC's, I am very new and unfamiliar with the Windows Vista OS and with the Matrix Games community and its myriad of forums. I only recently attempted to involve myself with the gaming community and the Napoleonic Wars game by John Tiller was recommended by a potential gaming "buddy" of mine. It is for this reason that I posted this message in the "General Forum" as this forum is where the splash screen for the game leads you and not to the Matrix forum. I did try to see if others had experienced the same problem but the vastness of forum selections and my unfamiliarity with using forums dictated that I just post my request for assistance and see what happens. I do appreciate that I got an answer to my concerns so rapidly and I apologize for requiring a repeat of a previous answer. Each time that I get a reply I learn more about the game and forum community and how to get answers to my questions.

If the updated HELP files (for Vista OS) for the Battleground Napoleonic Wars game are available as you imply with your post, how can I get these updated files?

Leon

sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: LeonKing
If the updated HELP files (for Vista OS) for the Battleground Napoleonic Wars game are available as you imply with your post, how can I get these updated files?

AFAIK the help files are not updated - what you do is fix Vista so it can read the old-style help files. The link in the post you responded to should contain all the info you need.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

LeonKing

Post by LeonKing »

Based on all the good information received as a result of this initial posting, I have access to the HELP files but still do not have access to "Scenario Notes (F2)" which is also listed as available in the HELP pull-down menu of the John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars game, either download version or CD.

I have been led to believe by an old and experienced "gamer" that these notes provide good information that can be printed and used as a very valuable reference when learning the games provided.

Is there a reason that the "Scenario Notes (F2)" are not provided or accesible in my downloaded or CD copy of JT's BG Napoleonic Games?

Thanks to all who responded to my previous posting and to anyone who can shed light on this last question!

Leon
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

bump
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi LeonKing,

Sorry I missed your follow-up. As far as I know, the help file fix should resolve all such issues, including the scenario notes.

If you still can't get it working, you can always re-download from our online store. The installer up there now includes the help file fix and installs it automatically.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”