Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/15/2008 5:21:01 PM   
GrumpyMel

The report from AGS is that things had been going very well so far. Lots of Soviet casualties, relatively few German ones and we had been steadly gaining territory. We currently hold a line roughly corresponding to Kursk, Kharkov, Dneiprovitsk and have just broken through into the Crimea.

The fly in the ointment came a couple of turns ago with the relative disintigration of AGC.... The Soviet Western Front Commander, being freed up to act, began mounting an offensive on my northern flank and deploying a large quantity of air assets to strike against my lead units. This has slowed my advance in the north, forcing me to turn and fight the Western Front Commanders attacks (which so far is going ok).

The situation for me at this point isn't bad at all. However, obviously fighting 2 Fronts at the same time is going to become problematic if it persists for any length of time. Which is why we are going to to need an able AGC commander to turn things around up there. Not sure all the details of AGC's situation, but from what I can see.... the main issue appears to be that he failed to properly secure and maintain his supply lines.

Note: I've no problem posting any of the above here.... as none of that info should come as much of a surprise to anyone....least of all our Soviet counterparts.

Mel

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 91
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/15/2008 6:48:57 PM   
JAMiAM

Many thanks out to the brave new commander of AGC for taking over. Have fun! It will be a challenge.

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 92
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/15/2008 7:16:57 PM   
lomyrin

AGN turn 19 sent to the new AGC commander with the password that gnrss had earlier sent to me.

Good luck in a tough situation.   The positions in the AGN are almost as bad, sorry to say.  The Russian commander is very good and is pushing AGN around instead of the opposite...

Lars 

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 93
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/15/2008 9:29:09 PM   
Ccr

Thanks all; looking forward to the challenge - and some anti-partisan sweeps!!
turn sent to AGS

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 94
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/19/2008 6:07:03 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn 19 to John in the Russian Center. Soviets recapture Staraya Russia, and continue to engage the German invaders at every opportunity.

(in reply to Ccr)
Post #: 95
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/21/2008 6:13:04 AM   
wmcalpine

Turn 19 completed and sent to Lars,

General Mud is much appreciated in the South West Front.

Bill

< Message edited by wmcalpine -- 5/21/2008 6:14:31 AM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 96
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/21/2008 8:10:43 PM   
lomyrin

AGN turn 20 done, sent to AGC

No good news from the north front....

Lars

(in reply to wmcalpine)
Post #: 97
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/22/2008 9:42:57 PM   
Ccr

Turn to AGS
Winter is upon us!

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 98
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/24/2008 9:59:48 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn 20 to John. Winter is here, indeed. Not a good time to be a German in Russia.

(in reply to Ccr)
Post #: 99
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/25/2008 2:01:39 AM   
jjdenver

probly no turn from me until monday - have family in town

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 100
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/28/2008 5:39:13 AM   
wmcalpine

Soviet turn 20 completed and sent to Lars.

AGS is on the move and threatening a major breach in two river lines. Soviets struggle to respond...

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 101
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/28/2008 7:25:43 PM   
lomyrin

AGN turn 21 sent to AGC.

The German postions in the north have gone from good to bad to serious to horrible.

The remnants of the German forces are greatly outnumbered and retreating.

Lars

(in reply to wmcalpine)
Post #: 102
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/29/2008 4:56:07 AM   
SSFSX17

From the sound of things, it seems like the line may not even reach Stalingrad - and if it does, it will be far too late.

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 103
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/29/2008 7:20:35 AM   
GrumpyMel

AGS Turn 21 done and sent to Soviet NW.

Russia continues to be a bloodbath for both sides. At least in the South, we are still making some progress against the reds.

Disturbing rumors continue to spread from Berlin. It is said that the little paper-hanger sits in a room all day, moving pieces around a map and ordering offensives from divisions that no longer exist.

We can only hope that our brothers in the North and Center can contain thier situations or soon we too may begin recieving such orders. But for now AGS fights! Snow or no snow, we will continue to advance.

(in reply to SSFSX17)
Post #: 104
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/29/2008 10:43:27 AM   
JAMiAM

NW Fronts turn 21 to Western Fronts.

Factory workers in Riga, emboldened by the success of the Red Army at the front, have risen up and retaken the city. Near Demyansk, Busch's HQ is in danger of being cut off with what little remains of his army. Hoepner is retreating from Staraya Russia through the swamps, hoping to make it past Dno before being cut off by the 2nd Shock Army which has struck a mighty blow against Kuchler's forces as they flee from the impenetrable Luga Line.

I hereby nominate Lars as Gamer of the Year for continuing the fight with a stiff upper lip under hopeless conditions.

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 105
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/29/2008 4:45:59 PM   
Daniel_machinegun

(north) Hoepner stalled?! on winter, I can understand that. But lost Finland!!?
(center) Eric Von Manshtein, our best Commandant! turned out to be a COWARD!
(south) and Paulus, my dear Paulus, you didn't reach Stalingrad.

you are useless!

Attack! Attack!! push forward! no retreat! no retreat!

ATTAAAAAAAACK

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 106
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/29/2008 6:03:17 PM   
jjdenver

One thing that I've noticed in this scenario (which I love) is that in versions I've played the Germans seem to win easily - other than in this particular game. But more importantly since production is so low compared to forces on map once one side starts to roll (and in this particular game Soviets are rolling) the war seems to end pretty quickly. I find it hard to envision the war going beyond 41 in any balanced way due to low replacement rates.

I think that perhaps production might be correct for weekly turns (not sure how much research was put into this) but maybe the tempo of combat and combat losses are not balanced for weekly turns since most of one side or the other can be massively attrited over the course of a 4-6 turns.

I'm not exactly sure how to fix this and allow the war to stretch into 42/43/44 but perhaps going to bi-weekly turns would help keep larger armies on map?

(in reply to Daniel_machinegun)
Post #: 107
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/29/2008 6:48:05 PM   
GrumpyMel

Perhaps, a few events at certain times of the year adding fresh units to a sides stockpile. This could represent units being transfered in from other theatre's as the situation grows desperate.... I think this historicaly happaned at several points in the campaign.

The events could check to see who was holding certain key locations (or maybe even a force pool size comparison).... and the reinforcments could be held back if a side was doing too well.... or allowed through if it wasn't.

This would help prevent the steam-roller effect ... and also be somewhat realistic.... as there would be little call to transfer units from other theaters if a side had things well in hand.

Certainly some fresh troops could breath new life into the flagging German Army about now.

Not sure where things exactly went wrong in this game.... things have been going pretty much as expected for AGS.... but AGN and AGC sound like a mess... not sure what happaned here.

If left alone, I could probably continue to slowly hammer back the Soviet South....but I'm sure you (Soviet Center) won't allow me to do that unmolested ;)

Mel (AGS)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 108
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/29/2008 6:54:22 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

One thing that I've noticed in this scenario (which I love) is that in versions I've played the Germans seem to win easily - other than in this particular game. But more importantly since production is so low compared to forces on map once one side starts to roll (and in this particular game Soviets are rolling) the war seems to end pretty quickly. I find it hard to envision the war going beyond 41 in any balanced way due to low replacement rates.

I think that perhaps production might be correct for weekly turns (not sure how much research was put into this) but maybe the tempo of combat and combat losses are not balanced for weekly turns since most of one side or the other can be massively attrited over the course of a 4-6 turns.

I'm not exactly sure how to fix this and allow the war to stretch into 42/43/44 but perhaps going to bi-weekly turns would help keep larger armies on map?

My suggestion for improvement would be to keep the same turn length, but to at least double the production capacity of both sides, and to change the research costs - dramatically. If production is doubled, then research should be quadrupled, so that it stays effectively at least twice as expensive as it is now. Also, more stratification is needed in the production (or supply) costs as the scenario suffers from the same basic flaws that any scenario that relies on the stock masterfile does - overly effective air/artillery strength.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 109
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 5/29/2008 8:42:52 PM   
GrumpyMel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

My suggestion for improvement would be to keep the same turn length, but to at least double the production capacity of both sides, and to change the research costs - dramatically. If production is doubled, then research should be quadrupled, so that it stays effectively at least twice as expensive as it is now. Also, more stratification is needed in the production (or supply) costs as the scenario suffers from the same basic flaws that any scenario that relies on the stock masterfile does - overly effective air/artillery strength.

You are right, air is overlay dominant in this game. It could be at points, if the conditions were right for it, however that wasn't reliable. Part of the issue, I think is that there are no real weather effects for air. Especialy operating on this scale, there would be weeks when air was completely grounded....and others when it's ground strike capability was severely limited due to poor visibilty. Not sure how to model that.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 110
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 6/2/2008 6:06:15 AM   
wmcalpine

AGS still moving forward. Soviet SW commander is feeding troops into the meatgrinder with counterattacks. Some sucesses, but at terrible cost

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 111
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 6/2/2008 10:10:59 PM   
lomyrin

AGN turn 22 done sent to AGC

The execution of the AGN turn is getting a lot easier now, there are not many units left to move....

Lars

(in reply to wmcalpine)
Post #: 112
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 6/4/2008 5:35:45 AM   
lomyrin

AGN turn 23 done, sent to AGC.

The retreat continues....

Something messed up here seems I was able to play turn 23 but it has to be in error I think.

Lars

< Message edited by lomyrin -- 6/4/2008 5:55:37 AM >

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 113
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 6/4/2008 6:31:38 AM   
JAMiAM

Lars????

Did you get one of your several GPW games mixed up? I know that the game hasn't come around to me since you posted that turn 22 was done, so I can't see how you got turn 23 played...

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 114
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 6/4/2008 6:43:47 AM   
GrumpyMel

AGS Turn 22 done and sent to Soviet NW.

A mixed week for AGS. Forces in the North had to abandon Kursk to superior numbers of Western Front troops. In the South progress is slow, however massive numbers of Soviet casualties continue to be inflicted. Most of the Soviet equipment we face now has barely had time for the paint to dry from the factory before it comes under our guns.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 115
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 6/4/2008 8:34:28 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn 22 to Western Fronts. Germans are in full retreat, with the Russians in pursuit. Busch is surrounded. Kuchler and Hoepner in imminent danger of being cut off. Riga bridgehead is expanding. Grim days for the Wehrmacht.

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 116
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 6/10/2008 6:08:16 PM   
GrumpyMel

Hey guys, just curious where the turn is at now?

Mel (AGS)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 117
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 6/12/2008 9:39:53 PM   
JAMiAM

I think that the Zebra is fast becoming an endangered species...

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 118
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 6/13/2008 4:09:49 AM   
lomyrin

AGN turn 23 sent to AGC

Full retreat with the remnants....

Lars

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 119
RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting - 6/13/2008 5:45:06 PM   
Ccr

turn to AGS

Supply situation restored at last!

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: GPW v5 Operation Zebra game starting Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI