What would you like to see in Carrier Force?

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Tankerace

What would you like to see in Carrier Force?

Post by Tankerace »

Hi gents,

Thought I'd start this thread to get player input as to what you'd like to see in Carrier Force. Keep in mind just because it is posted here doesn't mean it will make it to the final product, but I'd like to take as many good suggestions as I can and implement them where possible.

So fire away!
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Wirraway_Ace

RE: What would you like to see in Carrier Force?

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

Tankerace,

I appologize for my ignorance, but is there a brief description of what CF is intended to be?
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

Carrier Force is a tactical game built on the UV engine. It will contain improvements to the UV engine, but the main purpose of the game is to fight in quasi-real time, with each turn (within the tactical mode, of course) taking 15 minutes. Players get to handle all the details of carrier operations, arming planes, spotting them to the flight deck, launch and recover them, coordinate searches and strikes, etc all in 15 minute turns.

If you wish you can play the game like UV where each turn is one day, and this is how the game will pass when not in tactical mode. But the heart and soul of the game is the tactical mode. We are also planning some naval combat stuff to take advantage of the 15 minute turn structure.
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

I'd like to see

The accuracy of level bombers against ships reduced
Improved weather modeling that could allow a crafty player the chance of sneaking in or out under a front
Carrier ops for launching and recovering aircraft being modeled on a given ship's capabilities, not an abstract
Smoke from prior damage caused by bombing or bombardments partially obscuring a target
Improved ASW modeling
Preparation points for LCUs for given places (as in WITP & WPO)
Various speed settings for TFs  (as in WITP & WPO)
More TF types (as in WITP & WPO)
More ships allowed in TF types (again as in WITP & WPO)

...and a partridge in a pear tree...
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
decaro

Post by decaro »

Could supply convoys be fixed so that when you load supplies and troops, all of the APs/AKs in the convoy are loaded; that would save the trouble of having to split the convoy apart, reload the ships that didn't accept the load command the first time, and then recombine the convoy.

Also, fast TFs have some quirks in regards to supply and troop transport.

Don't make the PBEM files massive, i.e., zipped files?

Land warfare modeled after WitP, i.e., IJA doesn't surrender but fights to "virtually" the last man.

Any other relevant WitP/AE improvements, esp. re TF missions; but for God's sake, don't turn UV into WitP!
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
PizzaMan

Post by PizzaMan »

I'd like to see more interaction with air group leaders.  In UV we can assign TF commanders, which a powerful feature in the game, but conversley we are held hostage by air leaders.  I'd like the ability to reassign strong leaders to important forward areas, and give them the best available pilots and planes, while sub par commanders run transport, anti-sub, and recon duties. 
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

... We are also planning some naval combat stuff to take advantage of the 15 minute turn structure.

.... Will naval combat be "tweaked" to make the IJN surface fleets more powerful?

There needs to be an adjustment in the hard code so that Allied surface radar doesn't always stop a Long Lance attack; this is preferable to turning the LL into a super weapon.

Pse. see the thread in the UV forum.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Henderson Field
Hans

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Individual airfield names can't be used because what if there are multiple airbases or the port could have a different name so the area's name is best for map purposes inspite of somebody's sarcastic suggestion.
Todd

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Individual airfield names can't be used because what if there are multiple airbases or the port could have a different name so the area's name is best for map purposes inspite of somebody's sarcastic suggestion.

Thanks Todd. I'm actually well aware of the reasons why 30 mile wide hexes shouldn't be bearing the name of individual air fields.

It was just a tongue-in-cheek dig at that certain some one who made the sarcastic suggestion. [8D]
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

In all seriousness?

I would like to be able to transfer a ship out of a task force and back to "anchored" at the port without first having to create a new TF to transfer the ship into just so I can disband the TF to get the ship back into "dock".

This is one of the most infuriating aspects of both UV and WitP.

There is always one ship in every TF that took heavy enough system damage to need to be dropped out of the TF next time it reaches port. The current mechanism for removing that ship and getting it back into dock is just about the most convoluted process it could possibly be.
Hans

decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

... It was just a tongue-in-cheek dig at that certain some one who made the sarcastic suggestion. [8D]

Don't get that "certain someone" started, or else this thread may get locked-down [:D]
decaro

Post by decaro »

Wouldn't it be easier to just form a new TF of damaged ships and then disband them in port?
Wirraway_Ace

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

I would like to see a min-max altitude setting for CAP. Hate to see my zeros climbing to 31,000 to tangle with P38s and B17s.

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

Wouldn't it be easier to just form a new TF of damaged ships and then disband them in port?

No. That is the way it has to be done now. Which is "convoluted", at least from my perspective.

The problem is that once you take the step of creating a new TF, you are no longer looking at the TF that has the damaged ship you want to drop out and then you have to go hunting to find it with every last ship in every TF and also those docked at the port to have to scroll through to find that particular damaged ship you want to drop.

Think how much simpler it would be if while looking at the list of ships in the TF you want to drop the damaged one from, all you had to do was select the ship and hit a "drop from TF" button that would send it back to "docked at the port" status!
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace

I would like to see a min-max altitude setting for CAP. Hate to see my zeros climbing to 31,000 to tangle with P38s and B17s.

And how about different altitude settings for primary and secondary missions?
Hans

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Altitude settings are being addressed and as for damaged ships into new TFs-sort ships by sys damage or by location and it's easier, not perfect.  I know why you posted what you did, I was just trying to defuse the indefuseable (is that a word?).  [;)]
Todd

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Altitude settings are being addressed and as for damaged ships into new TFs-sort ships by sys damage or by location and it's easier, not perfect.  I know why you posted what you did, I was just trying to defuse the indefuseable (is that a word?).  [;)]

I know there are easy ways to sort the list and that somewhat mitigates the convolutedness. It would just be a whole lot simpler, from my point of view, if about half the necessary steps were eliminated.

I draw for a living using the most prevalent CAD software on the planet AutoCad. I am a stickler for streamlining the process. Every additional keystroke, every additional mouse click, every time I have to switch from menu to menu, or from interface to interface I assess whether or not it can be streamlined and whether or not the steps are absolutely essential.

The forced process of swicthing form one interface (curent TF) to a second interface (new TF) to yet another interface (list of all ships at the port) could almost certainly be eliminated altogether by the addition of a "remove from TF" button in the first interface.
Hans

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Make newly created TFs currently selected to receive orders upon completion of the creation process as it works in WitP.

Again, UV forces an unnecessary step on the player as upon completion of the TF creation process the player is returned to the base interface and has to select the newly created TF to assign it orders. Since it is a pretty good bet that the player is going to want to issue oreders to the TF they just created making it the currently selected unit upon completion of the creation process just makes good sense.
Hans

SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

If pilots are shot down in a friendly area of operations I'd be happy if some [a few?]  of them are able to be rescued. If at sea a task force could be designated to look for them, or within Catalina range maybe you could designate them as downed pilot search?

Thanks for your dedication[&o]

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”