This might be too late at this point, but the main thing that sucked me into UV was two screens....the Pilot screen that showed the experience of the pilots in the Air Group, and the Top Pilots accessed via the intel menu that showed the pilots who have downed enemy planes and their fate.
Watching the pilots grow, the tension of the combat screen ....flinching each time a plane went down that I know my elite airgroups fly, and as soon as the new turn started rushing to the Top pilots screen to see if any of my aces were KIA is the whole game to me.
It made all the tedious stuff worthwhile.
Heres what I'd like to see:
Being able to quickly issue orders to my assets without having to click each one.
Example: Opening the planes stationed at a base menu, and being able to give orders from there. That should have all the info I need at a glance needed to make a decision.
The current way it takes way too many clicks. If I want to issue more complex orders I can open up the unit the way it is currently implemented. But 90% of the time I am issuing really simple orders. This process should be streamlined.
2) The ability to give a name to assets. This would allow me to at a glance quickly know what the asset is and what its supposed to be doing. Currently I have to cycle through each unit to find the one I want. At times I totally forget what I originally had planned with a task force when it finally arrives where it supposed to go. This would fix that. Also Airgroups that have names would remind me who they are without having to go into the pilot menu and look at their experience. I don't know if every Airgroup had a name like "Flying Tigers"...if the did, having that in the game would be awesome. At the minimum let us do it.
3) Figure out more ways to let enhance the attatchment to our Pilots .....
Example: In the air combat screen, when an ace is involved in combat, instead of saying "P-39 attacking Range:1" it would say "CMD. Johnson Attacking Range:1".
4) I would also really like a summary screen where it shows if a pilot has gained experience and by how much. Sort of like Madden, when you look at player progression, it lists the skill a +/- and the amount the skill increased or decreased.
5) Fatigue and Disrupition in Malaria bases makes too big of an impact. IMHO it should be slowed down.
6) When a unit loses men, or weapons due to disruption or combat there should be a chance that replacements come in when a supply convoy arrives. Either as a base chance for every shipment, or only shipments from Truk/Brisbane/Noumea.
7) IMHO the impact of bombers is fine. There has been many complaints but imho it shouldn't get any worse.
8) System Damage when ships are at sea. I get why it accumulates, and the need to have it modled, but it should be re-examined. The rate at which it accumulates vs the rate it is repaired is off.
9) I would really like to see a detailed AAR from combat, particularly with Airgroups. This would let me adjust my tactics a lot better. For example, I have no idea why after Fighter vs Fighter combat, my Airgroups climb and dive on bombers and then combat just ends. I see 36th FS Climbing, 45th FS Diving on Bombers, 36th FS Climbing on Bomers, 45th FS Diving on bombers, Air to Air combat ends. WTH!?!
Thats all I can think of now. If you can figure out how to connect us to our Pilots, and crew, streamline the amount and how we deal with micromanagement, and give us the tools we need and the best way to use those tools....that would be a game I'd love.