Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Building Armies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> Building Armies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Building Armies - 2/18/2008 2:30:41 AM   
Joe D.

Although I haven't finished either the manual or the tutorial, how exactly do you build an Army? From the unit up, or the Army Cdr/HQ down? Or doesn't it matter?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Post #: 1
RE: Building Armies - 2/18/2008 3:03:09 AM   
emcgman

You can build everything separate, but you definitely want to attach a `Corps' to an `Army' once a Corps is created for the bonuses.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 2
RE: Building Armies - 2/18/2008 3:34:52 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: emcgman

You can build everything separate ...

In any order?

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to emcgman)
Post #: 3
RE: Building Armies - 2/18/2008 11:27:58 AM   
Primasprit

Hi Joe D.

To build an army you need two things: An Army HQ and a general with three stars. If you put both in one stack the order (on the special orders panel) to build an army will become available. It doesn't matter if any additional units are in the stack or not. So the smallest army stack will be only a general and his HQ. You can add more units to this stack as you wish.
Once you have an army you are able to build corps which are attached to this army. You don't need an HQ for that, only an general with at least two stars.

Cheers
Norbert

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 4
RE: Building Armies - 2/18/2008 11:38:42 AM   
Arsan

Hi

You build independet brigades, regiments, bateries around the map and the you collect them on one area, in addition to some historical units you get for free (mostly at war start) to form independet stacks (like the ones in BoA) or organized armies with corps formed by divisions and/or independent units.
There is no predetermined order. You can add new units to already formed cops, divisons or amies and detach units from them at any time.
To make armies you need a 3 star leader and an army HQ (recruitable unit on limited numbers).
For corps or divisions you just need a two or one star commander.

Both armies and corps are stacks like on BoA (but with special capabilities), but divisons are a new game concept.
They are special units formed by other idependent units you can put "inside" the division or dettach when you like.
Hope it helps
Regards

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 5
RE: Building Armies - 2/18/2008 4:05:41 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan

... Both armies and corps are stacks like on BoA (but with special capabilities), but divisons are a new game concept.
They are special units formed by other idependent units you can put "inside" the division or dettach when you like.

I understand having divisions in your Force/Army/Corps is a good thing (for cohesion?)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan
Hope it helps

It does, thanks to everyone who posted; now maybe I can get thru the AACW tutorial.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 6
RE: Building Armies - 2/18/2008 5:46:22 PM   
Arsan

Hi
Having divisions is a VERY GOOD thing!!
They are needed to form big armies/corps/stacks with lots of units and men without getting big % penalties for not having enough command points for commanding the forces.
That’s the real strength of divisions.
A Division cost “only” 4 command points (CP) and you can put inside brigades, regiments and batteries up to 18 elements (a leader + 17 elements).
All this elements outside a Division would cost a lot more CP (a standard 4/5 element brigade alone can cost 3 command points for example).
So, if you have an army with several corps, each commanded by a ** leader with 16 CP (outside the army/cops structures leader generate only half CP), you will be able to put four full division per corps without any penalty.
That’s a lot of men and guns… and a lot of punch!!
Also, divisions give a 3% bonus to the strenght of the elements inside them per each point of off/def ability of the division leader. That’s the icing on the cake!
Regards!

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 7
RE: Building Armies - 2/19/2008 4:46:56 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: emcgman

You can build everything separate, but you definitely want to attach a `Corps' to an `Army' once a Corps is created for the bonuses.

In the tutorial, I managed to combine and attach several corps, as per the instructions; but as there were 2 armies -- the Ohio and the Tennesee -- what determines what army gets what corps?

Also, didn't the Union name their Armies after rivers, not states, i.e., the Army of the Potamac?

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to emcgman)
Post #: 8
RE: Building Armies - 2/19/2008 5:40:20 PM   
LMUBill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.
Also, didn't the Union name their Armies after rivers, not states, i.e., the Army of the Potamac?

They did later in the war, usually naming them for major rivers in their area of operations. There are Tennessee and Ohio rivers as well.

One exception is the battle of Bull Run, where you had the Union Army of Northeastern Virginia vs. the CSA Army of the Potomac.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 9
RE: Building Armies - 2/19/2008 7:21:38 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: LMUBill

... They did later in the war, usually naming them for major rivers in their area of operations. There are Tennessee and Ohio rivers as well.

Sorry, I forgot that those names can also be rivers.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to LMUBill)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> Building Armies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI