Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategy/game mecahnics questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> Strategy/game mecahnics questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategy/game mecahnics questions - 2/1/2008 9:51:11 PM   
Yogi the Great

Thought I would try starting a thread just for general questions about startegy or game play issues.

First questions

How often (in general) should the maximum attack button results be used?

In general are you better making one attack of a hex at good odds or two attacks at lesser odds. (ie: you can do about a 6 -1 attack or could do two 3-1 attacks in the same turn on a hex - which is best)

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 2/1/2008 9:52:08 PM >

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Post #: 1
RE: Strategy/game mecahnics questions - 2/2/2008 1:51:33 AM   
Joe 98

You can use the Max attack button as many times as you wish in a turn.

When you use it you include everything. Some turns you get Generals. So if you use the Max button you will always use up a General. So you should make the most important attacks of a turn first.

When you use the max button, make sure you remove from the battle, those artillery or other units not required. This means those units are available to make other attacks that same turn.

Determine the most common terrain on the map and study it’s CRT. If you make 2 x attacks at 7-1 on one hex you are likely to do more damage than one attack at 10-1. This is not true for every type of terrain - you need to study it.
-

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategy/game mecahnics questions - 2/3/2008 6:32:37 AM   
JSS

In general I advise using the MAX button only to check what is available to the attack at that instant.  You should build your attack using forces you want...   key is that all assets assigned to an attack cannot be used again that turn (exception is for the combat attack units when an overrun results).

To add to Joe's spot-on comments about attack odds, you also need to decide what you want to do (or not do!).  Key points:

1.  Do you need to take the defenders hex?  You can do this by destroying the defender (if possible) or by causing a retreat.  Look for combat odds with lots of 'R' results if you want to take the hex that turn (example:  9-1 is much better than 8-1 in bocage for getting a retreat).

2.  Do you want to cause damage to the defender?  Here 7-1 odds are better than 8-1 odds in bocage if you want to cause 1 damage.  If you want to try for a 2 damage result, then 10-1 is twice as good as 9-1 in bocage.

3.  Sometimes you just want to conduct a combat and use up the defenders supply (especially if you have lots of interdiction preventing supply from reaching the unit.  Here 2-1 or 3-1 odds are all you need.

4.  Finally, maybe you don't want to take a 2 damage loss to your attacking forces.  Getting 5-1 odds often eliminates the dangerous potential result than can happen at 4-1 odds.

Hope that helps!

JSS

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategy/game mecahnics questions - 2/3/2008 4:54:53 PM   
Yogi the Great

Thanks for the tips - I do find that what works in one game well, doesn't always in another game product

Next question, in this game - advantages and disadvantages of trying to "surround" with units or and/or zones of control a defender?

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategy/game mecahnics questions - 2/3/2008 11:39:28 PM   
Joe 98

As you know units have “bullets”

Some units have only 2 bullets.

When a unit moves, attacks, digs in or does most other actions, it uses up a bullet.

If you attack an enemy, this causes the enemy to use up a bullet.

So, if you can cut the enemy supply route with your zones of control, or with air interdiction or with artillery interdiction he is out of supply.

When you attack that enemy unit, the enemy unit uses up a bullet.

If a unit has only 2 bullets it takes only 2 turns to use them up.

If unit has used up all it’s bullets it “goes into the red” ( the background turns bright red)  and it is easy to destroy.

From this we learn:  if you are on the defence, you’re units that have only 2 bullets, should be positioned on roads so supplies flow easily.

If on the attack, use units with 4 bullets. Try to break through down roads and turn and cut supply to enemy units that are away from the roads. 

-

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 5
RE: Strategy/game mecahnics questions - 2/6/2008 6:51:58 AM   
Dale H

Here is what the Manual says about Interdiction:

"Interdiction is enemy activity which interferes with supply lines
and/or which makes it more difficult for units to move."

It goes on to explain that air & partisan interdiction can interfere with supply but doesn't explain the exact effect. For example, here is what is says about air interdiction in particular:

"Air Interdiction is the ability of aircraft to attack a road or junction to slow movement and/or supplies."

This would indicate it only slows supply but if it can slow supply in one hex & this effect is magnified by the interdiction affecting a number of contiguous road hexes then it might, in effect & obviously, block supply completely.

Will air or partisan interdiction slow or will it completely block supply delivery to an enemy unit? Or both? Or does it depend? On what factors, then, does it depend? How would I know?

In other words how would I know the effect it is having?

Now (here is the hard one) where exactly in the Manual does it explain the precise effect interdiction has on an enemy unit beyond what I have just quoted from the Manual?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

As you know units have “bullets”

Some units have only 2 bullets.

When a unit moves, attacks, digs in or does most other actions, it uses up a bullet.

If you attack an enemy, this causes the enemy to use up a bullet.

So, if you can cut the enemy supply route with your zones of control, or with air interdiction or with artillery interdiction he is out of supply.

When you attack that enemy unit, the enemy unit uses up a bullet.

If a unit has only 2 bullets it takes only 2 turns to use them up.

If unit has used up all it’s bullets it “goes into the red” ( the background turns bright red)  and it is easy to destroy.

From this we learn:  if you are on the defence, you’re units that have only 2 bullets, should be positioned on roads so supplies flow easily.

If on the attack, use units with 4 bullets. Try to break through down roads and turn and cut supply to enemy units that are away from the roads. 

-

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategy/game mecahnics questions - 2/7/2008 7:11:13 AM   
Joe 98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dale H
Will air or partisan interdiction slow [the movement of] or will it completely block supply delivery to, an enemy unit?

Or both?

Yes. It slows/blocks movement AND supply

quote:

Or does it depend? On what factors, then, does it depend? How would I know?

No, there are no other factors.

Of course you will already have noticed that bad weather also affects movement and supplies on top of any other penalties in the hex.

quote:

Now (here is the hard one) where exactly in the Manual does it explain the precise effect interdiction has on an enemy unit beyond what I have just quoted……..

This is an example, common in many manuals, where the items of information are not in one paragraph but are spread through the manual while explaining some other point.

Hit “P” for penalties. Many hexes now have numbers hovering over them and tells you the penalty for friendly entering those hexes.

You never get to see how the “P” values affect the enemy because of Fog of War

The maximum points are 10.

If you start a new game as Human v Human and apply some interdiction you will then see the penalties.

Any unit will project a ZOC into adjacent hexes. Otherwise there are 3 types of interdiction:
Air interdiction
Partisan interdiction
Naval interdiction

And all of these produce penalty movement points

If any 2 different types of interdiction intersect, the penalties are added.

AA units will reduce air interdiction
Police units will reduce partisan interdiction

(in reply to Dale H)
Post #: 7
RE: Strategy/game mecahnics questions - 2/7/2008 4:34:40 PM   
Yogi the Great

Thanks again for the interesting comments.

Speaking of interdiction, does it make sense to place interdiction right on the enemy occupied hex? or only on hexes leading to it?

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 8
RE: Strategy/game mecahnics questions - 2/7/2008 7:49:36 PM   
Dale H

You are correct. The Manual is a bit frustrating for me at times.

This explains it. I have been using the technique of isolating enemy units by the application of interdiction on roads behind their lines for all this time but haven't been making it a habit of checking the penalties. I guess when the penalties are maxed one can safely assume supply isn't getting through.

Sorry to be so petulant but clear & organized expression is a sacred-cow of mine.

You really helped me. Thanks!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe

quote:

Now (here is the hard one) where exactly in the Manual does it explain the precise effect interdiction has on an enemy unit beyond what I have just quoted……..

This is an example, common in many manuals, where the items of information are not in one paragraph but are spread through the manual while explaining some other point.

Hit “P” for penalties. Many hexes now have numbers hovering over them and tells you the penalty for friendly entering those hexes.

You never get to see how the “P” values affect the enemy because of Fog of War

The maximum points are 10.

If you start a new game as Human v Human and apply some interdiction you will then see the penalties.

Any unit will project a ZOC into adjacent hexes. Otherwise there are 3 types of interdiction:
Air interdiction
Partisan interdiction
Naval interdiction

And all of these produce penalty movement points

If any 2 different types of interdiction intersect, the penalties are added.

AA units will reduce air interdiction
Police units will reduce partisan interdiction

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> Strategy/game mecahnics questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI