Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WAW 5 player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> WAW 5 player Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WAW 5 player - 1/18/2008 3:10:53 AM   
03_walk_alot

Warsaw falls.
Luft expecting milk run get ambushed by RAF over Maginot line.
RAF 7 Luft 2

Goering has a extra helping of schnitzel and wonders if roof should be tile or shingles.

The SKINNY Goering

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 03_walk_alot -- 1/18/2008 3:25:18 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/18/2008 3:35:27 AM   
jjdenver

Screenshots please :)

(in reply to 03_walk_alot)
Post #: 2
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/22/2008 2:47:02 AM   
03_walk_alot

This is not Playboy...we have no pictures!!

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 3
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/22/2008 2:48:26 AM   
03_walk_alot

April 1940!
German plays western blitz card and blast through Belgium, almost taking Lille on first Turn.
The other powers will likely be unlocked very soon. Stay tuned.

Krauts closing on Paree.
Look like the froggys from Maginot caught in a trap like the rats they are.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 03_walk_alot -- 1/22/2008 2:53:36 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/22/2008 3:15:50 AM   
SMK-at-work

SS Paratroops??  that's a bit of a waste is't it??!! :)

Post #: 5
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/22/2008 3:19:34 AM   
tweber

Not nearly as much waste as having most of the French garrison cut off and unable to evacuate to the UK.  I almost always use SS production in the first turn to make a para unit.  You never know when you will need to get the 1 hex out of reach.

< Message edited by tweber -- 1/22/2008 3:22:47 AM >

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 6
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/23/2008 1:30:01 AM   
JAMiAM

Turn 11 Russia to China file sent to Barthheart.

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 1/23/2008 1:31:32 AM >

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 7
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/23/2008 1:37:23 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

ORIGINAL: tweber

Not nearly as much waste as having most of the French garrison cut off and unable to evacuate to the UK. 

good point!

And of course this all means the warriors of the rising sun will get a move soon too :)

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 8
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/23/2008 1:54:14 AM   
IRONCROM

Yea I got to give it up to 03_walk_alot.
It was those paras that made the big difference here... I should have practiced this one a little against the AI.
Maybe I would have caught on to the importance of guarding the junction supplying all my troops.
I launched a counterattack on the German flanks from the South and did a lot of damage, almost recaptured Lille as well.
But I didn't have the strenght to do it though. The French units cut off in the south couldn't recover there rediness from the blitz card without any supply.
I can say though, that the RAF did manage to deal out a lot of damage on all those unprotected German tanks... He lost a bunch.

Post #: 9
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/23/2008 3:27:12 AM   
03_walk_alot

Was worried about the tanks!
But all those planes built?
What is defending england???

Mein Fuhrer in gay paree!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 03_walk_alot -- 1/23/2008 3:35:20 AM >

(in reply to IRONCROM)
Post #: 10
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/23/2008 3:50:42 AM   
Barthheart

Chinese turn complete and sent to Germany.

The Chinese people urgently request aide from the USA... or anyone really...

Run for the hills!!!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Post #: 11
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/24/2008 7:05:07 AM   
SMK-at-work

Japanese turn done and sent to Iron - not much to report - the Chinese ran away as fast as they could - we caught a few, but not so many :(

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 12
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/25/2008 1:59:57 AM   
Barthheart

Chinese Trooper: "What shall we do now that we have run away, oh Lord?"
Chinese Officer: "Run away further!"

Must.... make it..... to......hills.......

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Post #: 13
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/25/2008 2:36:21 AM   
03_walk_alot

Turn sent to Japan.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 14
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/25/2008 5:26:45 AM   
jjdenver

Guys - make this an AAR thread w/ pics - not "turn sent to the next guy" thread. :)

Post #: 15
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/25/2008 11:59:10 AM   
SMK-at-work

It'll be as we desire than you - you'll take what you're given and be happy with it!!

Fortunately I am a kind and generous soul....unless you are a Chinese player....in which case 1 corps is surrounded and another 2 threatened......the Flying Tigers came up to intercept massive IJN airstrikes, and were destroyed...although they inflicted as good as they got (2 air units KO'ed on each side)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 16
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/25/2008 9:57:12 PM   
tweber

Isn't China able to get a massive ammount of pp aid from the US?  I would have the Chinese stand in order to maximize casualties and force the Japanese to end the limited war.

Post #: 17
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/25/2008 10:30:55 PM   
Barthheart

Yeah Tom, you're right. If I stand and die I get lots of PP from the US but I'm not sure ow well I'd hold out with 3 level IV rifles.

Don't worry, lots of Chinese will be dieing soon enough... can't say more.... spies everywhere!

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 18
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/25/2008 10:36:22 PM   
JAMiAM

Turn 13 Russia to China file sent to Barthheart.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 19
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/25/2008 10:46:56 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

Isn't China able to get a massive ammount of pp aid from the US?  I would have the Chinese stand in order to maximize casualties and force the Japanese to end the limited war.

So far, from both sides, in every game I've played of this scenario the Japanese player has made a major push in China that has either destroyed the Chinese, or come very close. It's just extremely unbalanced with the Japanese production advantage and ability to commit 40 carrier air to the ground warI think that the Chinese player needs to do a couple things in order to have any chance of survival against a reasonably competent player. One, is retreat to a solid line, away from the coast, asap. Not too far, otherwise you give up too much space and time. The other key thing is to preserve the Chinese engineers, get them to the rear, and start spamming factories. With their paltry pre-war industrial base, even the Chinese Conscripts cannot be be produced fast enough to replace the 100+ infantry losses per turn that the Japanese player is able to inflict. Another thing to do, while waiting for the EP's to build up enough for producing a factory is to research the higher level basic infantry and start upgrading whatever Rifle subformations are still alive.

One thing that I think needs to happen in order to break this routine play of the Japanese, is to have Partisans available from the beginning of the limited war in China, as there is nothing preventing the Japanese from using their coastal garrisons, and Marines, as frontline troops in China for almost a whole year, before they need to be repositioned for the coming Pacific battles. That's assuming, of course, a roughly historical timeline for Barbarossa. If the German player is able to delay that for a year, I see no hope, at all, for the Chinese, since the Japanese timetable is tied to the invasion of Russia, by the Major Offensive/Pacific Blitz options.

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 1/25/2008 10:49:26 PM >

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 20
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/26/2008 3:06:26 AM   
Barthheart

Ok, we've finally stopped running.... for now!

Hiding in the hills waiting to ambush Japs. Madly trying crank out units to replace losses.

Loud constructions noises can be heard in the wilds of inner China.....

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 21
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/27/2008 3:23:58 AM   
03_walk_alot

Turn sent to japan.
Sorry for delay.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 22
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/27/2008 6:17:49 AM   
tweber

If Japan is completely engaged in China, should the Russians attack Manchuria?  I see what you mean about the fleet.  I am thinking of locking it up until the major offensive is declared.

Post #: 23
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/27/2008 6:33:22 AM   
SMK-at-work

Japan has 20PP's set aside against Russian intervention! :)

The Fleet air arm has nothing else to do except hit China....so it's going to.  Attacking hte Chinese in rough ground is like trying to run through knee deep treacle...or at least what I think that might be like!! :)  It's tiring, causes lots of losses for the ground gained, and yuo have to wonder if there isn't a better use for the reacle!

However hamstringing Japan isn't the answer - they're getting a factory's worth of PP's every 2nd turn - that's an awful lot of additional production - and everyone else gets to make decisions to put their entire force against someone who they think is as week as possible...WTF stop just the Japanese?

Forgot to take a screenshot this turn......pushing further into the Chinese Hinterland....Wuhan is taken, providing a better north-south link and troops are approaching various production and supply centres......

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 24
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/27/2008 6:45:19 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

If Japan is completely engaged in China, should the Russians attack Manchuria?

The Russians attacking Manchuria is plausible, but IMO, not a good idea without some more realistic force compositions up there. As it is now, there is nothing in Vladivostok for the Russians, and an unrealistically small Japanese garrison in Manchuria, making operations in that huge area problematic (read gamey) for both sides. The Japanese would need another HQ, and a couple of smaller garrisons in the area, and the Russians a small presence, and maybe a production city in Vladivostok. As it is now, it seems almost a necessity for the Russians to invoke the Nomonhon Incident, if for nothing else, getting a 20 PP ransom from the Japanese, in order to clear the event. Making something more drastic available as an option (to both sides) would be interesting, but would need to be well thought out to keep from becoming a worse problem.

quote:

I see what you mean about the fleet. I am thinking of locking it up until the major offensive is declared.

That would be helpful, even if only the main fleet with 30 of the 40 carrier air. Historically, the cooperation between Army and Navy arms of the Japanese was strained at best.

I think adding Partisan activity to China, from the time that theater becomes active in the game would go a long way toward solving some of the problems. The Japanese were forced to keep huge garrisons in the port cities, and protecting their supply lines, the deeper they drove into China. At this stage of development in the scenario, during the period of time before the US enters, this is simply not represented. It should be.

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 25
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/27/2008 9:41:28 PM   
JAMiAM

Turn 14 Russia to China file sent to Barthheart.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 26
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/27/2008 10:04:35 PM   
Barthheart

China at the end of Turn 14. Fight'n in the hills.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 27
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/27/2008 11:49:05 PM   
JAMiAM

LoL...Cone of Silence! The Get Smart reference would net you posrep, if we had that feature on the boards.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 28
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/28/2008 2:34:07 AM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

....net you posrep....

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 29
RE: WAW 5 player - 1/28/2008 4:19:44 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

....net you posrep....

Sorry...on some boards you have a "reputation" feature. That post of yours would have inspired me to give you some positive reputation, or posrep.

Get Smart was one of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> WAW 5 player Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI