Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Writing New WAW Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Writing New WAW Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Writing New WAW Campaign - 1/16/2008 3:04:34 AM   
brucha

First, I would like to say 'hi' to the forum, first time here and first time posting.

I am in the process to trying my hand at writing a World at War campaign, since there seems to be a lack of them out there to play. I dislike the pre-loaded campaigns that comes with Steel Panthers, and I have had little luck finding other campaigns on line.

I choose a lengthy campaign with the Canadian Second Division (specifically the First Battalion, the Black Watch, Fifith Canadian Infantry Brigade), starting from Normandy to the end of the war.

I have found a great deal of info on the campaign both on-line and books, so background information and OOB's are no problem. My BIG problem is two-fold:

1. Is there any way to choose or otherwise change the names of unit commanders while creating a scenario. In this I mean, can I select the name that will pop up when you right-click on a unit in a battle?

2. Are there any guides for map designing available on-line. I have found wonderful period maps of the battles that I am including in the campaign, but since I have never tried making a map, I am nervous about it. For instance, here's a scan of the map for my first battle, Verrieres Ridge:

A great map with lots of detail, but just looking at it makes me intimidated. Any helpful advice?
Post #: 1
RE: Writing New WAW Campaign - 1/16/2008 3:41:59 AM   
Alby

heres a few tips form the master, Wild Bill Wilder
not sure if this will really help you

"With this post I am reissuing the series of articles on scenario design. Many here are already pros at this but for those yearning to give it a try, these thoughts might be a help to you.

SCENARIO DESIGN-GETTING STARTED

(Note: Check at the end of each article for "Tips" for advanced scenario designers)

Well, my hearties! It's time to start. We are beginning our first class on scenario design. This one is open to all, aspiring designers and veterans of the art.

Where do we begin? We begin with an attitude and a desire. The attitude is positive. "I can do this!" And you can. Believe it. When this is over, you'll not only believe it, you'll know it.

The desire is to be creative. Any healthy human being loves to be creative. A wargamer and a lover of military history wants to create. He wants to create or recreate the feeling of battle, what is like to be there, to command, to make decisions and live by them, good or bad.

So where do we begin?

We begin by choosing something to create. Let's create a battle in World War II, using SPWAW as our tool.

I'll give you principles and ideas. You use them in practice.

The first major step in building a scenario is - CHOOSE YOUR BATTLE.

I could choose one but it might not be one that you particularly care to work on. So choose your own.

Let me suggest here that you pick something that appeals to you. It might be a big or small battle. And be specific. Not just the Battle of the Bulge, or Kursk, which are actually hundreds of small battles.

Pick one. Or at least pick a big one from which you'll make your small one.

Remember, SPWAW is battalion sized or smaller battles. We are not after size here.

Of course, it can be hypothetical. Even so, you would want it within the parameters of a particular time and place. So research is important either way.

-------------

1. This brings me to my first rule. Size is NOT important. "Bigger" is not always "better."

It is more difficult to create a small battle than it is a big one. In a big one you can cover mistakes. You can't do that very well in a small one.

What area appeals to you? Pacific, Western Europe, North Africa, East Front? From there be more specific. Or is there a particular fight you've always wanted to see in Steel Panthers? Well, why don't you make it?

This will mean some research. You will need to get some background information on the battle.

Where do you get that? Lots of places. Many internet sites offer good info on battles of World War II, some of them based on specific units, such as the 101st Airborne, or the Das Reich Division. Look on the web.

Or, go to your local library. Look over there military history section. See what you can find.

Or, if you have a friend or relative with books on WW2 military history, check on what they might have.

< Message edited by Alby -- 1/16/2008 3:50:02 AM >

(in reply to brucha)
Post #: 2
RE: Writing New WAW Campaign - 1/16/2008 3:44:58 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: brucha

First, I would like to say 'hi' to the forum, first time here and first time posting.

I am in the process to trying my hand at writing a World at War campaign, since there seems to be a lack of them out there to play. I dislike the pre-loaded campaigns that comes with Steel Panthers, and I have had little luck finding other campaigns on line.

Have you tried the Enhanced site??

I choose a lengthy campaign with the Canadian Second Division (specifically the First Battalion, the Black Watch, Fifith Canadian Infantry Brigade), starting from Normandy to the end of the war.

I have found a great deal of info on the campaign both on-line and books, so background information and OOB's are no problem. My BIG problem is two-fold:

1. Is there any way to choose or otherwise change the names of unit commanders while creating a scenario. In this I mean, can I select the name that will pop up when you right-click on a unit in a battle?

Yes in the editor, where you build your battles, is a function called "modify current units data"

2. Are there any guides for map designing available on-line. I have found wonderful period maps of the battles that I am including in the campaign, but since I have never tried making a map, I am nervous about it. For instance, here's a scan of the map for my first battle, Verrieres Ridge:

Try this link
http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=557

A great map with lots of detail, but just looking at it makes me intimidated. Any helpful advice?

< Message edited by Alby -- 1/16/2008 3:48:49 AM >

(in reply to brucha)
Post #: 3
RE: Writing New WAW Campaign - 1/16/2008 8:09:48 PM   
brucha

Thanks for the fast reply Alby! The info you posted will really help in the scenario design. One other question, if I may. Where would be a good place to post the campaign (along with relevant files) here on this forum for critical review and tweeking?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
RE: Writing New WAW Campaign - 1/16/2008 8:35:31 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: brucha

Thanks for the fast reply Alby! The info you posted will really help in the scenario design. One other question, if I may. Where would be a good place to post the campaign (along with relevant files) here on this forum for critical review and tweeking?

the spwaw depot is a good place
www.spwaw.com
you can most likely find some testers there too

(in reply to brucha)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Writing New WAW Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI