Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Disabling Sounds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Disabling Sounds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 4:35:14 AM   
Ted1066

Hey hey,

Is there a way to disable sounds in the game? There's been a few times that I'll be talking via Skype and wanting to play the game, only to get into the move phase and hear large armies marching across Europe. I couldn't find anything in the .ini files, and I was going to try to remove the wave files from the Sound folder. A last ditch is to hunt through the registry for anything. Hoping maybe the devs have an idea : )

Cheers,

Ted
Post #: 1
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 5:36:13 AM   
Monadman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ted1066

Hey hey,

Is there a way to disable sounds in the game? There's been a few times that I'll be talking via Skype and wanting to play the game, only to get into the move phase and hear large armies marching across Europe. I couldn't find anything in the .ini files, and I was going to try to remove the wave files from the Sound folder. A last ditch is to hunt through the registry for anything. Hoping maybe the devs have an idea : )

Cheers,

Ted

Ted,

You will have the ability to enable/disable the music and the game sound effects in the 1.01 patch.

Richard

(in reply to Ted1066)
Post #: 2
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 6:04:46 AM   
gwheelock

Actually; you already have a way to disable the music & sound effects - its called the
off switch on your speakers

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 3
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 6:34:22 AM   
zaquex

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwheelock

Actually; you already have a way to disable the music & sound effects - its called the
off switch on your speakers

Makes it hard to use any soundbased way of communicating like skype though which was why the OP wanted sound disabled.

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 4
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 4:14:36 PM   
Marshall Ellis

I have added controls in the user options to disable the sound and/or music.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 5
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 5:20:56 PM   
Ted1066

Hey Marshall,

Thats great news! In the meantime, the .wav files can be yanked from the sound folder to disable sounds. It doesn't compromise game stability or pop up any warning messages (tho you do get a little Windows error sound each time one of the .wav files is called, but nothing otherwise). Obviously, the patch 1.01 route that you are taking is the most desirable tho

And thanks, zaquex - you know there's always got to be at least one flip remark in a thread . Skype with the sound off? I'd never hear the end of it from my wife

Cheers,

Ted

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 6
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 5:40:08 PM   
pzgndr

Related to this, is there a clean way to completely disable the Matrix intro video and go straight to the game menu?  I renamed matrixintro.wmv in the main directory and got the video to skip but the sound still plays and I get a momentary black screen that I need to click to bring up the menu.  Thing is, this video file is in two spots and trying to rename the other one prevents the menu from coming up at all.  Maybe it's a Vista issue since that's what I have.  Other than this minor issue, the game starts up and runs fine.   

(in reply to Ted1066)
Post #: 7
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 9:28:04 PM   
Marshall Ellis

No, not yet.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 8
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 10:10:55 PM   
Jimmer

Tee Hee!

I  know something Marshall doesn't. Maybe. :)

If you click on the exact center of what will become the Matrix logo, and if you click it at just the right moment, it will skip right into the game interface.

Now, Marshall, if this wasn't a back door, you might want to check into why it works. Because, it will probably work some other time, too, and that might not be exactly good timing.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

Post #: 9
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 10:34:58 PM   
Murat

It lets me <esc> right past it so long as I started it once on the computer since I turned my system on.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 10
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/10/2008 11:32:33 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Well, I do have it programmed so that if you click the video OR hit a key, it should skip the vid BUT most machines buffer the vid so fast (See the release notes for 1.00 in your DATA dir) that is only stops it half way through the vid. I don't think this is documented EXECEPT in the release notes doc???

BUT you do have to stop it manually, there is no way to load without displaying the vid as a default.

< Message edited by Marshall Ellis -- 1/10/2008 11:33:11 PM >

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 11
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/11/2008 2:48:15 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

BUT you do have to stop it manually, there is no way to load without displaying the vid as a default.

But there is. Renaming the video in the main directory disables it for the most part, but there's a second copy of this video in the Graphics directory that cannot be renamed and causes the sound to play. It's been an approved solution for most other Matrix games that if you want to disable the intro video(s) and go straight to the game menu, simply delete or rename those files. It's not a big deal to click the screen and move on, but it should be possible to disable the intro vids.

Post #: 12
RE: Disabling Sounds - 1/11/2008 2:53:50 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Sorry, there is is a way, you're correct. I just didn't know about it! :-)

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Disabling Sounds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI