Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How many hexes is an action point?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> How many hexes is an action point? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How many hexes is an action point? - 12/8/2007 7:05:23 PM   
beserko

This "action point" term is all over the manual. How about a rule of thumb like how many hexes can a plane go or how many hexes from hq before your front line troops are SOL? Artillery range? Bombing range from airfield?

as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns—there are things we do not know we don't know."
Post #: 1
RE: How many hexes is an action point? - 12/8/2007 7:35:32 PM   
seille

you mix completely different things here.
Artillery range has nothing to do with Action points. This is a setting in the SFT details.

And the range is no value you can work with since for ground troops it depends on Subformation type
and terrain (different SFT´s have different AP costs to move into different terrain).

Planes are different again. They have same costs for all hexes, but Fighter II has less costs per hex than fighter I.
Means they have a different range.
Level I planes of the generic set have a range for 10 in attack and recon and range 20 (doubled since it´s only one way)
for transfer.

(in reply to beserko)
Post #: 2
RE: How many hexes is an action point? - 12/8/2007 7:56:40 PM   
beserko

I think I understand you in a subconsious way but this reminds me of school when the teacher says " If a train is heading west at 80 mph and a bus is heading northwest into Boston at 43 mph, how much would the boatfare be going southeast to Bermuda?"

as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns—there are things we do not know we don't know."

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 3
RE: How many hexes is an action point? - 12/8/2007 8:27:32 PM   
freeboy

play the game then it makes more sence, this is one of those perspective issues.. get some and then the ?'s U r asking are simpler

(in reply to beserko)
Post #: 4
RE: How many hexes is an action point? - 12/8/2007 8:36:54 PM   
seille

Lol, i think i explained well enough. Just read it 3 times and you´ll agree

There are different AP costs for different terrain types.
That´s why you can´t ask for range.
AP is the only value you need to know here and how much it cost for your SFT to enter a hex (what terrain ??).
But your slowest unit makes the speed.

If you don´t understand this i can´t help. Sorry

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 5
RE: How many hexes is an action point? - 12/8/2007 11:36:18 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: beserko

I think I understand you in a subconsious way but this reminds me of school when the teacher says " If a train is heading west at 80 mph and a bus is heading northwest into Boston at 43 mph, how much would the boatfare be going southeast to Bermuda?"

Probably the easiest (and best) way to look at this is notice the movement type indicate just to the right of the unit name. One of your subformations gives the unit that movement type. If you click on that subformation in the right pane that lists subformations, you'll bring up the subformation detail screen. the pane in the middle, has three table, the first two are vs Sftypes, and vs classes, the third tab will list the movement type for that subformation, and gives Action Point cost for all terrain, as well as entrenchment details and other good stuff.

This panel reflects the costs for the specific subformation, in this specific scenario, so that if someone has modded the subformation it will be reflected here. (for example, given airplanes greater range).

Hope that helps.

Rick

(in reply to beserko)
Post #: 6
RE: How many hexes is an action point? - 12/9/2007 2:35:39 AM   
beserko

sorry guys,  ...........  just messing with you. Mostly I wrote this as I'm not sure about the whole HQ and supply thing. I have read the manual forwards and backwards dozens of times and I think I have read every response in the forums BUT I still am not sure about supply and range! Should I make more HQ's?Should I stay in the HQ's original locations. They don't move well, even with trucksshould I make all artillery into their own division?Salients VS side by side,  whats your opinion?Should I mix infantry with Armour?Is there a radar function, how do you know when transports are coming? Recon with planes seems weak.I'm playing the lightning scenario nowGuess you can't wait to play me online! I love this game!

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 7
RE: How many hexes is an action point? - 12/9/2007 2:56:03 AM   
tweber

1.  HQs give full staff coverage up to 5 hexes with standard settings so you should have an hq for every 10 hexes of front.

2.  You do want to move your HQ with the front.  Also, HQ store supplies which has weight and moves poorly.  You will need more trucks.

3.  Benefit of concentrated artillery is only one unit expends it's ap to attack.  However, artillery does add punch if supported by infantry.  Dispersing artillery is probably your best bet only if you have lost air superiority.

4.  Salients are dangerous as the default settings give large bonuses from attacks from multiple hexsides.  Side by side is the best defense (independent of the terrain of course).

5.  I always try to mix at least 5 infantry per armor for protection.  Armor is then still fully mobile.

6.  Units have recon values that taper off with distance.  A thin line of pickets is good for spotting.  However, large coastlines are hard to defend.  I think the best defense is to focus on ports to limit and invaders supply combined with a strong mobile reserve.

To your original question - go into the editor - land tab - movement cost sheet to see the AP cost.  Each movement type (e.g., wheel, track) can be set for each land type (plains, urban).  There is extra cost for rivers (go into the editor - rivers, movement cost to see).  Roads also take less movement.  Finally, an enemy hex takes an extra 10 AP to enter (editor - settings - rulevars - movement sheet).

(in reply to beserko)
Post #: 8
RE: How many hexes is an action point? - 12/9/2007 3:55:04 AM   
beserko

Ah Tweber,       The God Of War ........  Thanks for the input!   

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> How many hexes is an action point? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI