AE Map, Base, Economic Issues [OUTDATED]

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Andrew Brown

AE Map, Base, Economic Issues [OUTDATED]

Post by Andrew Brown »

[OUTDATED]

Hi all,

I am starting this thread as a place for any questions regarding the following part of the upcoming WitP Admiral's Edition:
  • The map.
  • Bases.
  • Production.

Questions and comments invited! I will do my best to answer any questions.

Andrew
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Brady

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

Post by Brady »

Coal?

Light Industry?

Will Suplys still move across water between bases if their close enough like in WiTP?
[center]Image[/center]

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Yay, AB is here and has his thread started. You will have lots of questions soon.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Is the fundamental map structure the same in the sense that present art and pwhex files can be used?

Was an off map movement system implemented? If so, what are the entry/exit points?

Was any sort of pwhex editor created? Will existing pwhex editors work?
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Andrew, since resource and oil hexes no longer produce supplies and fuel, where do they come from?  I read that there will be refineries, but what else?
Created by the amazing Dixie
ctangus

Post by ctangus »

Ooh - I've got a zillion questions - well 5 for now & maybe more later. You might not be able to answer them all yet...

1. What are the new terrain types that are implemented and what are their effects?

2. There seem to be new communication lines (e.g. minor & major roads). Can you list them & describe their effect one ground & supply movement?

3. From what I've seen AE is more based on CHS than stock. Have changes been made to make oil, not resources, the limiting factor for the Japanese economy again?

4. Can you explain exactly how "Light Industry" and "Oil Refinery" work? E.g., what do they require in terms of oil/resources and what do they produce in terms of fuel/supply?

5. Any changes to how aircraft factories upgrade?
KDonovan

Post by KDonovan »

will some rivers be navigatable by Warships?
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Is the fundamental map structure the same in the sense that present art and pwhex files can be used?

Was an off map movement system implemented? If so, what are the entry/exit points?

Well I think Andrew has to work this weekend - hopefully he can give more thorough answer later but I know a bit about this so I will jump in.

The new pwhexE.dat is different. Not interchangeable. Data stored about each hex is different format. I'm not aware of any existing pwhex editors but they will not work for AE without modification.

Yes there is an off map movement system, let's wait for Andrew to explain the details.

Oh and no present art will not work. There are about twice as many panels now because of the change to 40 n.m. hexes.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: KDonovan

will some rivers be navigatable by Warships?

Yes.
AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
MineSweeper

Post by MineSweeper »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

Any new Weather related changes ?...Typhoons....Monsoons.

No unfortunately. We had hopes. And we even had a real world weather guy 2stepper signed up to help us at one point but - long story short - didn't happen. But I think some aspects did get pulled out of the code and into the pwhexE.dat file. Andrew is best to answer these questions over on the map thread.

AB, any info on this.....Thx

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

before I start trying to answer questions, please note that my time will be very limited for another 7-8 hours or so. Please be patient.

ORIGINAL: Brady

Coal?

There are no new resource types. There are still only "resources" and "oil".

We briefly considered adding more, but for every one added there would have been a huge amount of added work and in-game complexity, so we stayed with the current ones only.
Light Industry?

There is a new "Light Industry" device. This device takes resource points as input and generates supply points as output. Because of this, manpower points no longer require Resource points as input, and HI no longer generate supply either - it is only generated by LI, and Refineries (representing fuel used by land units and aircraft).

Also - Resource centres no longer generate supply points. You have to take the resources to the LI centres to create supply points.
Will Suplys still move across water between bases if their close enough like in WiTP?

I don't think that this has been changed.

Andrew

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

Hi el cid,
ORIGINAL: el cid again

No, it is completely different. There are some new things that have been added to the map data.

Yes, there is an off-map movement system. Only the Allies can use it. The bases that have been included are: Abadan, Aden, Mombasa, Capetown, "Soviet Union" and "Almaty" (both land only), "Canada", "US East Coast", two bases in Panama, Port Stanley and the UK (which can only be reached from other off-map bases).

The existing ones will not work, and I don't think there are any plans to release one at this time.

Andrew

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Andrew, since resource and oil hexes no longer produce supplies and fuel, where do they come from? I read that there will be refineries, but what else?

I will try to provide some more details later but the basics are:

Refineries take oil as input and create fuel as well as some supplies.

Light Industry take Resources as input and generate supplies.

Andrew

Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Will there be production for the Allies much like there is for the Japanese right now?
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: ctangus

Ooh - I've got a zillion questions - well 5 for now & maybe more later. You might not be able to answer them all yet...

1. What are the new terrain types that are implemented and what are their effects?

Added are (with defence modifiers):

Rough (x2)
Forest/Jungle+Rough (x3)
Desert+Rough (x2)
Sand Desert (x3)
Tundra (x2)
Tropical Mountain (x3)
Light Urban (x2)
Icefield (impassable)

Forest and Jungle are now separate, but are identical in game terms (the art is different). Urban has been split into Light (x2) and Heavy (x4) Urban.

Tundra and Sand Desert terrain types are similar to Swamp (slow movement).
2. There seem to be new communication lines (e.g. minor & major roads). Can you list them & describe their effect one ground & supply movement?

Railway has been split into Major and Minor railway. The latter is slower than the former.

Road types are Main Road and Secondary Road. There are no Trails any more, except that railway lines act as a slow road type similar to the old Trails speed wise (representing the ability for LCUs to follow railway lines on "foot").

Movement along "Secondary" roads is between the movement rates of the old "Road" and "Trail" types.
3. From what I've seen AE is more based on CHS than stock. Have changes been made to make oil, not resources, the limiting factor for the Japanese economy again?

I definitely wouldn't say that AE is based on CHS, but given that some of the people (but certainly not all!) working on it were also contributors to CHS in the past, there are bound to be some similar influences.

I am aware of the Resources issue for CHS, so I will be taking a look at that for the AE.
4. Can you explain exactly how "Light Industry" and "Oil Refinery" work? E.g., what do they require in terms of oil/resources and what do they produce in terms of fuel/supply?

I will try to provide some more details when I have time, but there are some basic answers above.
5. Any changes to how aircraft factories upgrade?

Not that I am aware of.

Andrew

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

AB, any info on this.....Thx

To put it simply, there hasn't been time to work on the weather system. So outside scope (at least for now).

Andrew

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Knavey

Will there be production for the Allies much like there is for the Japanese right now?

No, apart from what is already in the stock game (some on-map aircraft factories).

The way I see it is that the players represent the theatre commanders, so the Allied commanders (i.e. Nimitz, Macarthur, Mountbatten) don't run the Allied economy. They just get given stuff.

The Japanese theatre commanders also happen to run the government, so they get more control.

Andrew

Knavey

Post by Knavey »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

ORIGINAL: Knavey

No, apart from what is already in the stock game (some on-map aircraft factories).

The way I see it is that the players represent the theatre commanders, so the Allied commanders (i.e. Nimitz, Macarthur, Mountbatten) don't run the Allied economy. They just get given stuff.

The Japanese theatre commanders also happen to run the government, so they get more control.

Andrew

So I guess military coups are out for the Allied player?
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Brady

Post by Brady »

Will "Fuel" still be available at some "oil" locatrions, those that could historicaly produce crude oil so pure it could be burned in ship's without refining?
[center]Image[/center]

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for all your work on this! I'm just thrilled about this! I know you're busy, so no rush to respond. Some questions:

1. Glad to hear of the new railroad types. Does AE model rolling stock (finite number of trains on railroads) at all?

2. Will the map include Subchaser-style "dots" to indicate the presence of oil or resources in a hex? This isn't a "must" for me, and in fact if it's too cluttered, I'd prefer a cleaner look. But I did like Subchaser's little dots.

3. Conversely, I don't care for big thick lines delineating malaria zones, control zones, weather zones, etc.; I prefer just to remember which areas have malaria. (I know your map for WITP came in two versions -- one with "lines," one without. I used the one without.) Any decisions on how your handling "lines" on the map?

4. Which flag for Japanese bases -- plain Rising Sun, or the naval ensign with red rays? The latter may be more historically accurate, but the former is easier on my aging eyes!

5. Any change to the cold-weather zones (e.g., Alaska) -- for example, more of a penalty for conducting naval/air ops there? I always felt it was too easy to operate in the far north in stock.

6. Can we build any rail lines over, say, the River Kwai? :)

7. Any changes to R&D for Japanese aircraft? (I still don't fully understand how it works in stock!)

Thanks, and thanks again for all your hard work. You guys rock.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”