Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Re: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Re: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  32 33 34 35 [36]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Re: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 10/10/2012 8:35:44 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Possible, but if the Google Earth tools are reliable, Manokwari airbase and Waren Drome are seperated by about 48 (land) miles - that would put them in different hexes, no?

Not necessarily. 48 miles is only 2 miles over the ~46 statute miles (aka 40nm) for a land hex in AE. There are several reasons that could put them in the same hex. There might be a difference in where two different map designers throw the stake in the ground for each base, making a difference of a few miles. The map projection used might throw off the (flat map versus globe) distances sufficiently in that area. Possibly the greatest potential reason is that, because of the 40nm resolution of the map coupled with the full-hex resolution of the game engine, the map designer might have to nudge a few bases or features here and there by one hex to make the map and code work together for better game play. An example of that last is the often discussed range of the Zero versus the distance between Rabaul and Guadalcanal.

Anyhow it just occurred to me that as they are one hex away from an existing base that Andrew might have made that decision. Only he can answer that.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 10/10/2012 8:36:08 PM >

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 1051
RE: Re: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 10/10/2012 8:49:41 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Good explanation!

But well, I'm one of the guys who would love to have a dot or base at every hex - so I have put a dot base at 85/110 in my mod

Carpe Cerevisiam

WitP AAR "Six Years of War"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1052
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 10/19/2012 3:34:34 PM   
Yaab

When I press "R" to examine the road net, the secondary road leading to Patung in China is marked as a major road (solid red line is displayed instead of bright red one). Is this a bug?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Yaab -- 11/11/2012 9:29:53 AM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 1053
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 9/5/2013 1:34:06 AM   
Ridinroun

Today I started having a problem with the map. In the furthest parts to the North like Canada and South, South of Brisbane I am getting overlapping hex and no land mass. For example if I'm looking at Hawaii and I click to go to the Northeast I still have Hawaii area and a bunch of overlapping hex's. Do I need to change my display resolution or something? Here my PC stats.

Intel Core i7-2760QM 2.44ghz win7 64bit NVidia GeForce 2gb 16gb ram 1TB HD 805GB free

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 1054
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 9/5/2013 1:42:20 AM   
wdolson

This tends to happen when the video memory gets corrupted. Sometimes restarting the game will fix the problem, sometimes it requires a reboot of the computer.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Ridinroun)
Post #: 1055
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 9/5/2013 1:46:08 AM   
Ridinroun

Ok. Appreciate the help.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 1056
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/8/2014 7:33:09 AM   
Liebestod

Sorry if this was asked before but why is the railroad between Hanoi and Kunming cut? Between Lao Cai and Mengtze there's no railroad, yet one existed.

The Kunming–Hai Phong Railway was finished by France in 1910 and apparently still exists.

And while I'm looking at it, why does the railroad from Hanoi end at Lang Son? I was under the impression there was a railroad that went all the way to Nanning.

(in reply to Ridinroun)
Post #: 1057
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/8/2014 10:07:28 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

The Chinese destroyed or dismantled railroads and bridges when retreating to slow down the Japanese - that's why the game has many rail lines missing (Canton - Kukong or Hangchow - Nanking are other examples).

The Japanese may have been able to rebuild the lines, but this ability is not modelled in the game. So for the destroyed sections it was a question of either put them in and change game balance by giving ahistorical strat movement abilities - or to leave them out.

It is possible for modders to put the destroyed sections back into the game, but it requires house rules and only works for PBEM.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 7/8/2014 11:08:02 AM >

Carpe Cerevisiam

(in reply to Liebestod)
Post #: 1058
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/9/2014 2:19:15 AM   
Liebestod

Thanks for the explanation.

I suppose it would be better if the game modeled "destroyed railroads" so that you could repair them if you secure the territory and pay a cost.

Although realistically, certain bridges like the the Renziqiao Bridge would be easy to destroy and almost impossible to repair under wartime conditions.

And there'd probably be rampant railroad sabotage in China and Burma in the early part of the game. Come to think of it, why didn't the British sabotage more railroads?

< Message edited by Liebestod -- 7/9/2014 3:19:04 AM >

Post #: 1059
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/9/2014 2:28:23 AM   
wdolson

We looked at the ability to build roads and railroads and it would have been way too much work. We didn't have the time to tackle it. It's a big change to the engine.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Liebestod)
Post #: 1060
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 7/19/2014 4:25:44 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

Sorry if this was asked before but why is the railroad between Hanoi and Kunming cut? Between Lao Cai and Mengtze there's no railroad, yet one existed.

Doing some map modding today and re-investigated railroads in China, esp. the Hanoi-Kunming (Yunnan-Vietnam) railway mentioned above by Liebestod.

Found this on http://whatsonyunnan.com/travel/1854.html:

In 1940, the Japanese soldiers invaded Vietnam and bombed the railway, resulting in the overstock of the military supplies [waiting at Hanoi for rail transport to Kunming]. To further prevent Japanese northward invasion into Yunnan, order was given by the R.C. (the Republic of China) Government to destroy the Hekou Bridge that connected Yunnan and Vietnam then, and some parts of its Yunnan section were dismantled; the original rails were reused for the railway from Kunming to Qujing that served well for the international military supplies transit on the Yunnan-Myanmar (Burma) Road and the Hump Flights.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 7/19/2014 5:26:01 PM >

Carpe Cerevisiam

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 1061
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 10/16/2014 2:50:31 PM   
miv79

Both pluses and minuses give certain types of terrain? unfortunately did not find in the manual.

Sorry for my english

Post #: 1062
RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues - 10/19/2014 6:03:45 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

We looked at the ability to build roads and railroads and it would have been way too much work. We didn't have the time to tackle it. It's a big change to the engine.

Bill

A lot of modders (myself included) have multiple maps and HR's to go with them. Maps are swapped out routinely to allow for RR expansion and removal. It does take some coordination to do this, but for experienced players not really that big of a deal.

For me the biggest issue is that I can edit the pwhex file easily, but I'm a lousy artist. So, I change map files, but the graphics don't. I have to remember where the RR is in place or not in place ...

Having said that, I totally agree with the DEV decision NOT to include in the stock game. The learning curve is high enough, and it works fine as a modder.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 10/19/2014 7:10:54 PM >

Pax

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 1063
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 34 35 [36]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Re: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  32 33 34 35 [36]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI