From: Hessen, Germany - now living in France
There seems to be some oil fields missing in stock (and DBB) at :
At Bandjermasin some kind of oil installation seems to have existed, but I have found no details.
Klamono in PNG is probably Babo in the game and should be undevelopped (damaged).
Also missing are refinieries at Singapore.
1. Cobbled together from "The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia" at http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/Table_Of_Contents.htm :
The coastal regions of Borneo are younger sedimentary beds accreted onto the island core, and it is here that mineral wealth was found in the form of oil. Large oil fields were in production at Miri, Seria, and Lutong in or near Brunei on the northwest coast; at Sandakan, Tarakan, and Balikpapan along the east coast; and at Kuching and Pontianac on the west coast.
Oil was first discovered at Canada Hill near the little fishing village of Miri, on the northwest coast of Borneo (113.960E 4.349N), in 1910. Production was about 2.1 million barrels in 1940. Other oil fields in the vicinity were Seria and Lutong. Both Miri and Lutong had their own refineries.
Lutong (114.001E 4.467N) is an oil field on the Borneo coast just north of Miri. Production was roughly 2.1 million barrels a year in 1940 and there was a refinery and airfield.
Seria (114.388E 4.632N) was an oil field on the northwest coast of Borneo in western Brunei. Production was about 3.2 million barrels a year in 1941.
Balikpapan (116.812E 1.283S), on Sumbir River on the southeast coast of Borneo, boasted a significant oil field (7.4 million barrels a year) and a refinery and a newly constructed port with just enough facilities to load tankers. [...] There was a well-developed road following an oil pipeline to Samarinda that also provided access to the interior oil fields.
Tarakan (117.587E 3.312N) was an oil port on an island in the Sesayap River delta of east Borneo, with production of about 5.1 million barrels per year from two fields near the center of the island. Tarakan measured about fifteen miles (24 km) from northwest to south. Facilities were limited except for the refinery and four oil loading piers, which were located at Tarakan town on the southwest coast.
Sandakan (118.123E 5.850N) is a small port on the northeast tip of Borneo. In 1941, it was the capital of British North Borneo and had a population of about 13,800. The port had just enough facilities to load oil from the nearby fields, which produced about two million barrels a year.
Kuching (110.333E 1.550N) was the principal town of Sarawak on the northwest coast of Borneo. Located inland on the Sarawak River, it had a river port with limited facilities and an airstrip, and a nearby oil field produced some two million barrels a year. There was also significant rubber production in the surrounding region.
In 1941, Pontianac (Pontianak; 109.344E 0.018S) was a small oil port on the west coast of Dutch Borneo, located on the mouth of the Kapuas River. The oil field here produced about 2.1 million barrels in 1940. The port itself could not accomodate ships with a draft in excess of 21 feet.
Palembang (104.774E 3.009S) was the capital of Sumatra and was located in what was then the richest known oil field in southeast Asia. Production began in 1907 and by 1940 had reached 30 million barrels a year, almost half the total for the entire Netherlands East Indies. The Pladjoe refinery produced considerable quantities of gasoline from the local light petroleum and would eventually provide 22% of Japan's fuel oil and 78% of her aviation gasoline. The city could be reached by small oceangoing vessels via the Musa River, which was the usual means of oil delivery.
Muntok (105.165E 2.072S) is a port on Bangka Island opposite the mouth of the Musa River of Sumatra. The nearby Banka Penang oil field produced about two million barrels of oil per year in 1941. The port also shipped out the tin mined on Bangka (about 10,000 tons per year in 1941.
Soerabaja - Oil fields in the area produced about a million barrels a year and there was an important refinery at Wonokromo (112.739E 7.303S) that produced a large amount of the lighter, more valuable fractions, such as gasoline.
Klamono (131.473E 1.132S) was the location of an oil field in the Vogelkop Peninsula of western New Guinea. Though discovered prior to war breaking out, it was still largely undeveloped. Estimates at the time were that the oil reservoir was one of the largest in the Netherlands East Indies and would produce one of the lightest crude oil known, rich in the valuable volatile fractions such as gasoline.
[The PWOE does not mention the oil fields and refinieries around Medan and says nothing about oil installations at Bandjermasin]
2. From the articles on hte Nihon Kaigun site :
During World War II, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) controlled the former Royal Dutch Shell oil fields and refineries at Miri, Seria and Lutong, near Brunei, Sarawak in northern British Borneo, Kuching and Pontianac on the west coast and at Sandakan, Tarakan, Samarinda, Balikpapan and Bandjermasin along Dutch Borneo’s eastern and southern coasts. The facilities were operated by Japanese civilian and local national technicians.
During World War II, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) controlled the former Royal Dutch Shell oil fields and refineries in Java. They consisted of two main groups, the Rembang group in Central Java and the Surabaya group in East Java. The oil fields were at Gliron, Kroeka, Lidah, Kawengan, Ledok, Loesi, Nglobo, Semanggi and Tremboel. The crude oil was pumped from the fields through miles of pipelines to Bataafse Petroleum Maatschappij (later Shell) refineries at Wonokromo, Kapoean and Tjepoe (Cepu). The captured BPM facilities were operated by Japanese civilian and local national technicians.
During World War II, the Japanese Army controlled the former Royal Dutch Shell oil refineries in Sumatra including Pangkalan Brandan and Pladjoe (Pladju) and Standard-Vacuum Oil Company's (Stanvac) refinery at Sungei (Soengai) Gerong.
The oil refined at the small Pangkalan Brandan refinery in northern Sumatra was transported to port facilities at nearby Pangkalan Susu [near Medan] and from there directly to Singapore, Malaya and other locations in the region.
The center of oil production was at Prabumulih, 43 miles from Palembang in southern Sumatra, now the second-largest city in Sumatra, after Medan. Crude was transported via pipelines to the large Pladjoe refinery, a few miles north of Palembang. In February 1942, the Japanese 2nd Parachute Regiment captured Pladjoe intact. The Japanese later named Pladjoe the "No. 1 Refinery" and was managed by Nihon Sekiyu. It was capble of refining 45, 000 barrels a day and its speciality was high octane aviation gasoline production.
Prewar, Stanvac, a joint venture between Jersey Standard (Esso) and Socony-Vacuum (Mobil), also operated several oil fields and transported its crude to its Sungei Gerong refinery, east of Palembang city. captured Pladjoe intact. After the Japanese captured Sungei Gerong they named it the "No. 2 Refinery". It was also capble of refining 45, 000 barrels a day and was managed by Mitsubishi Sekiyu. Together, these two refineries - the largest in Southeast Asia - had a reported annual capacity of 20,460,000 barrels of crude and were capable of producing 78 per cent of Japan's aviation gasoline and 22 per cent of its fuel oil.
Singapore Oil Refineries and Storage Centers
Asiatic Petroleum, a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell Oil, owned storage centers at Pulau Bukum and Pulau Sebarok near Singapore. Refined product was brought from Sumatra and stored in these captured storage centers near Singapore. Round trips from Palembang to Singapore and back, including loading and discharging fuel, averaged about one week, but many trips took longer, indicating possible loading and unloading difficulties and/or ships' engine troubles and perhaps groundings.
The Pulau Bukom oil refinery lies just south of the main island of Singapore. The Pulau Sebarok refinery is east of Pulau Bukum. The Pulau Sambu (Samboe) refinery also was nearby, but in Dutch East Indies territory.
Ceram (now Seram) Island is the largest island of the Maluku province of Indonesia. It is located just north of Ambon Island. The Boela (Bula) field, on the northeastern tip of Ceram was discovered in 1897. In 1913, the field was developed by two Royal Dutch-Shell subsidiaries. Its pre-war output from about 500 wells had a rated potential production of 650,000 barrels a year, or 1,800 barrels a day. In 1939, the field reached a peak production of 750,000 barrels. There was no refinery at Boela and the crude was shipped to Balikpapan, Borneo for refining.
[This site does not mention Klamono / Babo]
< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 2/20/2016 5:08:20 AM >