AE Land and AI Issues [OUTDATED]

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Andy Mac

AE Land and AI Issues [OUTDATED]

Post by Andy Mac »

[OUTDATED]

OK Guys most of you know me from the forum - for my sins I am the land team lead on the project.

In this thread will try to answer questions if you have any other team leads will be starting their own threads.

Fair warning there are some questions I will not know the answer to yet, there are some I will not answer yet for a variety of reasons

But within these bounds I will answer questions if I am able.

I am not the programmer we have someone exceptional doing that work (and I stand on the shoulders of the previous land team lead !!!)

I merely say I want this and he goes and figues out how to code my wildest dreams !!!

So on with the show fire away !!!

p.s. I am also at my day job so I cannot spend the whole afternoon answering questions so have a little patience with me !!!!

Andy
Andy Mac

RE: Admirals Edition Land Thread

Post by Andy Mac »

Reserved
spence

Post by spence »

Will it be possible to build a road (the Ledo Road) or a railway (the Burma Railway)?

Will there be an understandable mechanism for moving supply overland and controlling supply levels at inland bases?
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

As far as I am aware road building is not included although we have had discussions about how to make it work for those two specific examples but for now no its not in.

Supply movement is going to be better than stock but will still have some limits.

You will be able to increase for each base the required supply level up to the bases requirement + 0 - 25,000 supplies

Thus bases will try to draw excess supplies and store them - small bases still have large wastage numbers so universal use of this tool has real consequences and will quickly drain supplies.

But in prinicpal yes you can have more control about setting supply levels at internal bases without needing a command HQ there to draw the extra supply.

i.e. Mandalay has a requirement for 10,000 supply points I know I am going to lose Rangoon soon so I increase the supply draw of Mandalay to 35,000 supply and the computer will try to fill up to 35,000 supply at Mandalay.

Andy
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Map quesitons I would pass to the Map team as they will no more of the details on this stuff.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

As far as I am aware road building is not included although we have had discussions about how to make it work for those two specific examples but for now no its not in.

Supply movement is going to be better than stock but will still have some limits.

You will be able to increase for each base the required supply level up to the bases requirement + 0 - 25,000 supplies

Thus bases will try to draw excess supplies and store them - small bases still have large wastage numbers so universal use of this tool has real consequences and will quickly drain supplies.

But in prinicpal yes you can have more control about setting supply levels at internal bases without needing a command HQ there to draw the extra supply.

i.e. Mandalay has a requirement for 10,000 supply points I know I am going to lose Rangoon soon so I increase the supply draw of Mandalay to 35,000 supply and the computer will try to fill up to 35,000 supply at Mandalay.

Andy

More control over the supply movement will be very handy. [:)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

If you look at the screenshots from the release announcement at the one showing Hiroshima base you will see a button next to supplies required this button allows the player to increment in 1,000 supply chunks the supply level for the base up to an extra max of 25,000 supply.

Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

How are Malaria zones going to work? I like the current system for percentage of disablements, but morale loss doesnt feel right.

I agree with how the system currently works for small bases for morale loss, but it just doesnt feel right for large, built out bases such as Port Moresbyy after it was all built out. It seems odd to have morale loss for a unit at a built out base. For instance, in my PBEM game (May 1943), I have Port Moresby all built out, but the troops there (Australia Command) have 10 morale. Seems like once you reached a certain point (airfield and port size combined), morale loss should atleat stop and hold level. Disablements makes sense, but I dont like the morale drop at large built out bases in Malaria zones, especially for troops not in combat at a large base. Or perhaps have a minimum level that it can drop to; ie. yes the troops could have low morale, but it will not drop below say 60.
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

Also, as far as OOB, hows China look now?

Does America get all the Europe troops now for the invasion of Japan towards the end of the war?

What does the 'Rebuilt Unit' button do?

As for the fort limits, is it going to be on a base by base basis? (ie. all atolls are limited to 4, or for example, Tarawa can build to 6, but Makin can only build to 3)

What kind of stacking limits will their be for atolls? Approximate sizes allowed? And as above, is it on a base by base basis, or for all atolls?

Thanks Andy
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

This is more for the map team but we did not as far as I am aware change much in the way malaria is modelled.

So the effects in question are as per stock however I have performed a review of CW leaders to change stats to more realistic levels which should help moral recovery.

Every British, Indian and ANZAC land commander having a 60 for land stat bugged me !!!

Added new HQ's and new leaders to command them Air Commodores, Air Vice Marshalls and even the odd Air Marshall !!!
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

How about an "overrun check" in the situations where a very small unit has been landed behind a larger unit to cut it off? If there is some sort of routine that checks for combat value and finds that a unit wants to retreat through a hex controlled by another unit, and the retreating unit is 50 times larger (combat factors after all modifications for out of supply, terrain, leadership etc) than the blocking unit, then the retreating unit is allowed to enter the hex?
The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

Can we get a map Key posted so we know what the heavy dashed line in China is?
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

How about an "overrun check" in the situations where a very small unit has been landed behind a larger unit to cut it off? If there is some sort of routine that checks for combat value and finds that a unit wants to retreat through a hex controlled by another unit, and the retreating unit is 50 times larger (combat factors after all modifications for out of supply, terrain, leadership etc) than the blocking unit, then the retreating unit is allowed to enter the hex?

I'd be willing to bet that the hexside based zoc will alleviate this "problem"...
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison
Also, as far as OOB, hows China look now?

AMC - CHINESE ORBAT was reodne by an expert in the field and looks quite powerfull now - this is one of the areas we are balance testing.
Does America get all the Europe troops now for the invasion of Japan towards the end of the war?

AMC - Yes US 1st Army, 4th 8th and 10th Indian Divs and British X Corps all arrive now in 45/46.
What does the 'Rebuilt Unit' button do?

AMC - Some units i.e. 11th Indian Divison start the game pre broken down 11th Indian Div in 3 Bdes and 9th Indian Div in 2 Bdes and 3 Bns these units and others start that way to allow historic deployments but can be recombined into the parent unit at a later point - this is a one time recombine after recombined they can only be split into 11th/A Div etc

For modders if you really want to and feel the need you have the slots and tools to mod the entire game to Bn scale if you really want to - personally I wouldnt the game is still primarily a divisional scale game but the option exists
As for the fort limits, is it going to be on a base by base basis? (ie. all atolls are limited to 4, or for example, Tarawa can build to 6, but Makin can only build to 3)

What kind of stacking limits will their be for atolls? Approximate sizes allowed? And as above, is it on a base by base basis, or for all atolls?

AMC - OK fort sizes are going to be slightly generic atolls will be limited the number is still being debated but is likely to be 4 with other islands 6 I think - lvl 7 - 9 forts are now going to be VERY difficult to build and there are a lot more bases to build de facto the max fort level will now be 6 for most places (building high level forts requires a LOT of supplies and time and replacing them when under attack will be I believe almost impossible)

Stacking levels and penalties are going to be nasty now - broadly dependent on the island size they range from 5,000 - 50,000 max for both attacker and defender with hefty penalties including a large supply wastage and increased fatigue and disruption for units overstacked.

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

This was our intent but is still being tested zone control requires 40AV minimum
ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Need to go do some day job stuff keep posting and I will answer when I return
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

Thanks for the replies Andy. Looks and sounds to be great.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Map quesitons I would pass to the Map team as they will no more of the details on this stuff.

Yes the Map Team will start their own thread - so hang on to you map questions for Andrew!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Hi Andy,

Will there be changes in how leadership affects troops during battle? And can we better document how leadership/experience plays a role in combat within the User's Manual please?

In earlier versions of WiTP I noticed problems with air transport and paratroops. Is this being addressed?

From what I see there is a new training process for pilots to gain expereience. Is there anything different than the current standard in WiTP that will allow naval and LCUs to train up with? I was just thinking that it would be cool to train for combat in certain terrain features or maybe train for night ops...

Could we do something in the reporting structure to tie in info gained from recon units to theatres of war? Right now I might get info on a LCU spotted but no real hardcopy on the location of the LCU.

Is there any way to come up with a unit tracking system in the game like what Woo has done?

What would you think about being able to update/upgrade a LCU during different stages of the war? Maybe burn points to upgrade a units TOE?

Can I request that more effort be put into a User's Manual this time out? I'd be willing to help proof-read if the team needs it... Heck, I'd probably even be willing to write the danged thing <laughter>.
TTFN,

Mike

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”