Global Glory v3.00

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and general game modding. The graphics and scenarios are easily modifiable. Discuss your experiements in this area and get tips and advice!

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

WanderingHead

Global Glory v3.00

Post by WanderingHead »

Hi guys,

I was able to include Global Glory in the release, so you will all have a brand new scenario to play with!

I think that it could fairly be called an "advanced" version of the game. There are a few more rules to think about. I won't describe it in detail, because there is a detailed description in the distribution, but I thought I'd provide a brief overview.

One thing I'd like to point out is that playtesting has been somewhat limited, and play balance may be questionable. So far it has generally appeared to be biased towards the Allies. I made some quick tweaks before the release, but really I felt it was better to get the patch out there and get GG out there and get feedback from everybody rather than try to make it perfect offline. Hopefully it is not too far off, and you all can enjoy it.

Erratum
  • end of Japanese gift
    * contrary to documentation, the Japanese gift ends in Summer 1941 (the same as Total War). This was an error in the data file which must be corrected.
    * this is corrected in the patch file attached to this message.
    * Installation: download the file. Rename the file "GlobalGlory_v3.00_patch.zip", changing the file extension to ".zip" instead of ".txt" (this forum doesn't allow zip file attachements for some reason). Extract the zip file into your AWD v1.020 directory. It should place a single file, wawgoldfrozen_gg.txt into your dat\ directory.

Highlight overview:
  • emphasis on oil
    * more resources in the middle east, some starting damaged so the WA must repair them to exploit them
    * Germany has a non-military resource consumption (NMRC), making resources valuable from the beginning of the game
    * Germany goes to FM=3 in 1942, so a succesfull capture of middle east resources can be exploited in production in preparation for a late war with Russia
    * addition of factories in zero-population regions (Trans-Jordan, Borneo, Sumatra) representing oil refining capacity. Changed so that factories in zero-population regions cannot do research, they can only produce supplies.
  • changed air rules
    * fighters cost 3, heavy bombers cost 5. This seems a more reasonable population-to-production ratio, compared to other units. It can easily be considered to be a cost of crew training, since often availability of trained personel was a constraint more than overal population or equipment.
    * air units can flyover narrows, e.g. it costs 1 MP to go from W France to England or 2 MP from Saudi Arabia to Italian East Africa.
    * air suffers a penalty at max range. Firing attack roll penalty -3, fired at penalty +1. A unit is not considered "at max range" if it is 1 move (not 1 MP, just one region move) from its base, _unless_ that move is across a narrows (this enables a Battle of Britain scenario with 1MP fighters considered to be at max range over the Channel).
  • changed WR threshold and frozen strat moves
    * frozen strat move limits increase over time
    * the USA can strat move, sometimes, in 1941, 1942+
    * the goal is to allow the Axis to delay war, and allow the Allies to be better prepared without necessarily DOWing.
  • enhanced transport rules provide increased benefits to ports (notably Norway and Malta).
  • additional modifications to make the transportation problems in the Med and North Africa more realistic
    * reduced Italian starting transports
    * increased starting Italian militias in N Africa and E Africa, representing the overwhelming numbers of poor quality Italian troops.
  • new political events for surrenders
    * Russian surrender, which cedes territories, refreezes the remaining Russia, and reestablishes a gift to Germany. If this occurs, then an AV game is probably already about to end, but it could allow for a better non-AV game.
    * Indian surrender, with regions becoming Japanese without damaged resources, representing an Indian nationalist movement.
    * Australian surrender.
  • some fine tuning of USA->Japan gift rules
    * The gift does not stop if Japan invades inland China. Instead, there is a political event that can trigger and reduce the gift. This event gets more likely as Japan captures more Chinese regions or bombs more Chinese factories.
    * Japanese gift does not end in Su41, instead it can continue. But it is cancelled when Japanese move troops to Indochina.
  • all neutrals produce insta-militia equal to population when attacked as a neutral. This makes a neutral a little better able to defend itself, while not such a big force when it joins an alliance voluntarily. This was mostly seen as useful against WA invasions of Portugal and Spain, making it a little harder early in the game. But it was made consistent everywhere.
  • all inland routes in Africa are severed to land unit traffic, but air units may still fly over the continent. This eliminates unrealistic things like supplying Sudan from British East Africa, or campaigning across the continent.

The rules, especially for Japanese gifts, require careful reading.

Thank you to everyone who helped out, provided feedback and playtest. I've played several useful games recently with tica, and I remember a particularly productive bug-fixing 2x2 game with tica, Lebatron, and Forwarn45.

Many of the ideas here were not originally mine. I cannot credit everyone, because I don't necessarily remember where everything came from. Some of the biggest ideas I can think of ultimately originated from JanSorensen, Lebatron and Forwarn45.

Thanks all. I hope everyone can enjoy it. Be sure to let me know how it can be improved, there is leeway to change it in the next patch.
Attachments
GlobalGlor..atch.zip.txt
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
GKar

RE: Global Glory v3.00

Post by GKar »

Thanks WH! As soon as I have the time (~4 weeks?) I'll try it out in a PBEM.
xianing

Post by xianing »

Really great work! Thanks to WH and all guys who have contributed to this.

cgarmfeldt

Post by cgarmfeldt »

Neato - finally a GGWaW with the possibility of a BoB :) 
Tom Grosv

Post by Tom Grosv »

I won't describe it in detail, because there is a detailed description in the distribution,

Sorry, being thick - where exactly do I find the detailed description of the current GG?
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: Tom Grosv
I won't describe it in detail, because there is a detailed description in the distribution,
Sorry, being thick - where exactly do I find the detailed description of the current GG?

If you've installed AWD v1.020, you should have a file Global_Glory_description_v3.00.pdf in your main AWD directory.

"Gary Grigsby's World At War - A World Divided\Global_Glory_description_v3.00.pdf"
Tom Grosv

Post by Tom Grosv »

Got it - thanks.
MrQuiet

Post by MrQuiet »

If you want some friendly pbem competition in the latest mods then check THIS out

-MrQuiet
wawawd

Post by wawawd »

I see you changed fighter costs to 3. Does Germany have any more motivation to build Fighters and Tac Bombers? My opinion is that they don't. A CAG for Germany cost 3 and is superior or equal to the fighter in every category (for world standard). They are also better than the Tac Bomber (except by 1 point in ground attack) for world standard. It is better to build one type of aircraft that can fill both roles and then some (naval anyone?). It makes it more cost effective from a research point of view.

Even though the German CAG starts out lower in many areas from the Fighter and Tac Bomber, liberal theft of Japanese tech and the benefit of having to only research one plane more than offset this.
christian brown

Post by christian brown »

Does Germany have any more motivation to build Fighters

I believe Brian was working toward reducing the ahistorically large number of fighters being built and the unrealistic "feel" of the ease to which new crews/pilots could be found and trained. Forgive me if I have misunderstood your comment.
"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

The change in HB and fighter cost started in this thread I made a few months back. fb.asp?m=1564339

wawawd, it explains what I did to CAG to balance everything out.
For UV 2.0 I've been thinking of increasing the heavy bomber cost by 1 for everybody. Japan would now pay 4, everyone else 5. As a result, tac air would hopefully become more popular. And I'm about to suggest a heresy. Increase fighter cost to 3. I'm kind of tired of seeing 20 plus fighters, almost no tac air, and to many HB's. Changing the cost of fighters to 3 would go a long way to balancing the distribution of air types. And what about carrier air? It would now appear cheaper to build since the difference would only be 1 production point between them and fighters. But rather than increase their cost to 5, I would reduce their world standards by 1 in EV and AA. What do you guys think?

Going from UV2.0 beta to the final release I only changed HB cost for Japan and UN. Japan now pays 4, the 'standard' cost, and the UN pays 5 but is the only nation to have super HB's with armor.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: wawawd

I see you changed fighter costs to 3. Does Germany have any more motivation to build Fighters and Tac Bombers? My opinion is that they don't. A CAG for Germany cost 3 and is superior or equal to the fighter in every category (for world standard). They are also better than the Tac Bomber (except by 1 point in ground attack) for world standard. It is better to build one type of aircraft that can fill both roles and then some (naval anyone?). It makes it more cost effective from a research point of view.

Even though the German CAG starts out lower in many areas from the Fighter and Tac Bomber, liberal theft of Japanese tech and the benefit of having to only research one plane more than offset this.

In Global Glory, the CAG cost for Germany is the same as everyone else. I think Germany has great motivation to buy Tacs.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: Lebatron

The change in HB and fighter cost started in this thread I made a few months back. fb.asp?m=1564339

wawawd, it explains what I did to CAG to balance everything out.
For UV 2.0 I've been thinking of increasing the heavy bomber cost by 1 for everybody. Japan would now pay 4, everyone else 5. As a result, tac air would hopefully become more popular. And I'm about to suggest a heresy. Increase fighter cost to 3. I'm kind of tired of seeing 20 plus fighters, almost no tac air, and to many HB's. Changing the cost of fighters to 3 would go a long way to balancing the distribution of air types. And what about carrier air? It would now appear cheaper to build since the difference would only be 1 production point between them and fighters. But rather than increase their cost to 5, I would reduce their world standards by 1 in EV and AA. What do you guys think?

Going from UV2.0 beta to the final release I only changed HB cost for Japan and UN. Japan now pays 4, the 'standard' cost, and the UN pays 5 but is the only nation to have super HB's with armor.

I had toyed with this very idea before your post, Jesse. I think you called it "sacrilege", but that is why I latched onto your post so quickly and enthusiastically. I had thought about it, but discarded it as heretical. But when I saw from your post that I wasn't alone in thinking like this, I had the courage to actually do it :).

I think that the increases in fighter cost are essential to balance of units and also the value relationship between flak and fighters.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

FYI

There is an error in the data files. The Japanese gift ends in Summer 1941 (like in standard Total War), rather than the later date given in the description.

The files will have to be updated.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

I know it hasn't been too long, and the rapid tourny is just starting, but I would appreciate any feedback on the scenario. If I am able to push a patch soon (I still need to discuss with Joel) then I would like to make modifications to the scenario.

Current plans:
  • use the new "raw resource development" feature to make about a dozen resources undeveloped, in need of 20 supplies and 2 turns to develop. This would be applied in places that historically ramped up oil production, or could have ramped up oil production: Iraq, Persia, SW USA, SC USA, Caucasus, Kazakh. It total it would only apply to about 10 resource centers.
  • adjustment in USA NMRC, to reflect the first bullet.
  • correct the problem with the Japanese gift
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

I added an attachment to the first post on this thread with a fix for the Japanese gift problem. The release version is buggy, it expires in Summer 1941 although it is not supposed to expire until 1943.
Citadel

Post by Citadel »

One of the latest games Mike and I played was GG and all was well with Japan conquoring into China when USA released for War 2 or 3 turns early...boy was Japan surprised.

we called the game early...with all of Japans forces still in the CHinese interior it seemed impossible for them to do anything since they also lost the surprise element

Should USA War involvement be a surprise? or sahould the Axis get a 1 turn warning? After all the reason why Germany and Japan are Axis is because they didnt play exactly according to the rules but USA would be waving flags weeks before declaring war no?
Citadel

Post by Citadel »

Oh

Thank you and the rest of the modders for making a great game even greater!

Cheers,

Craig T
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

I regret to inform that the patch announced in post 16 also had a small issue (Japan gift started at 5 instead of 6). I just reposted with the correction.
WanderingHead

Post by WanderingHead »

ORIGINAL: Citadel
One of the latest games Mike and I played was GG and all was well with Japan conquoring into China when USA released for War 2 or 3 turns early...boy was Japan surprised.

What turn exactly was the USA DOW?

It is intentionally a surprise. You have to monitor the WR and be prepared for what they might do. Usually the USA or Russia won't be able to do much right away except prepare defensively. Then the Axis still has some small compensation in that the Allies don't get the WR boost from being attacked so Russian and/or US production will ramp up slower.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”