Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT- Personal WWII Account

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OT- Personal WWII Account Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/10/2007 4:24:37 PM   
Kid

I often ware my Retired Navy ball cap when I’m out and about because it’s a great way to meet other vets. A few months back I met a Sailor from WWII who served on the Minneapolis from late 43 till the end of the war. He asked me to read a book he wrote (never published) for his children so they could appreciate what he went through. I’ve read it and frankly it’s not very well written. The guy did a lot of research and has all the facts but he bounces around a lot and his writing style makes it hard to read. What does make it worthwhile, from a historical point of view, is that he served in the boiler room and you never here what it was like form that point of view. Does anyone have any links to a few historical sites that might be interested in maintaining a copy for historical reasons?

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Post #: 1
RE: OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/10/2007 4:31:13 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

I often ware my Retired Navy ball cap when I’m out and about because it’s a great way to meet other vets. A few months back I met a Sailor from WWII who served on the Minneapolis from late 43 till the end of the war. He asked me to read a book he wrote (never published) for his children so they could appreciate what he went through. I’ve read it and frankly it’s not very well written. The guy did a lot of research and has all the facts but he bounces around a lot and his writing style makes it hard to read. What does make it worthwhile, from a historical point of view, is that he served in the boiler room and you never here what it was like form that point of view. Does anyone have any links to a few historical sites that might be interested in maintaining a copy for historical reasons?

Kid, these folks are accumulating first and second hand accounts of the war for display.:

http://www.ddaymuseum.org/

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 2
RE: OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/10/2007 4:37:24 PM   
Kid

Thanks, I'll start a list for him.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/10/2007 4:41:34 PM   
AW1Steve

The US Navy Memorial used to  . WWW.lonesailor.org  Also , most state universities have some kind of program , usually connected with oral histories or their own publishing house.

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 4
RE: OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/10/2007 5:03:23 PM   
Kid

Ok thanks

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 5
RE: OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/10/2007 6:00:47 PM   
Joe D.

I think the US govt. still maintains a site for collecting all WW II accounts, but most war museums will gladly accept a (free) personal history regardless of how unevenly it's written.

Sounds like your sailor needs an editor, maybe even a yeoman?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 6
RE: OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/10/2007 6:23:57 PM   
AW1Steve

The National Archives used to have a oral history program , but , as with all federal projects , it ebbs and flows with public interest. Many museums , private and otherwise have programs , but it all depends on funding. I've worked these projects and with Museums for many years (and I'm working on my MA on public history ) , but the best advice is 1) start locally as possible , with a state , museum or veterans organization (the more local , the more control and the less likely for this work to be disposed of later) 2) look to see whose "biting". All these projects depend on funding, and that depends on interest.  Anniversaries ( the 50th anniv of this , or the 75th anniv of that ), often bring money. Thats a good time to strike.

And if all else fails , there is always self publishing , which for a few hundred dollars can produce a nice product , which can be distributed (sold) through veterans groups and specialty museums. (Cover the costs.) I've even heard of one young man who did it for his Eagle scout project. Good luck. As with all veteran stories , we need to get it out , before it's lost forever.

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 11/10/2007 10:17:01 PM >

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 7
RE: OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/10/2007 6:47:35 PM   
kaleun

I wish I could help. But I sure would love to read it!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 8
RE: OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/10/2007 8:49:59 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

... And if all else fails , there is always self publishing , which for a few hindred dollars can produce a nice product , which can be distributed (sold) through veterans groups and specialty museums. (Cover the costs.) ...

I actually did a story on (digital) self-publishing for VFW magazine; you no longer have to warehouse books or pay Vanity Press prices, but they're not going to edit your book for you, at least not for free.

Even cheaper to desktop publish it w/MS Word features, although the chairman of the SCSU Journalism Dept. did an entire book w/PageMaker.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9
RE: OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/10/2007 10:19:22 PM   
AW1Steve

Joe you definately caught me on needing a good editor. I meant to say "a few hundred dollars". What's a hindred go for in the current exchange market?
quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

... And if all else fails , there is always self publishing , which for a few hindred dollars can produce a nice product , which can be distributed (sold) through veterans groups and specialty museums. (Cover the costs.) ...

I actually did a story on (digital) self-publishing for VFW magazine; you no longer have to warehouse books or pay Vanity Press prices, but they're not going to edit your book for you, at least not for free.

Even cheaper to desktop publish it w/MS Word features, although the chairman of the SCSU Journalism Dept. did an entire book w/PageMaker.

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 10
RE: OT- Personal WWII Account - 11/11/2007 12:26:40 AM   
wdolson

The USS Minneapolis Association my want it: http://ussminneapolisassociation.org/index.php

I had some trouble getting to it at first, but after looking at it in the Google cache, I was able to get there.  I don't know if it's something with my DNS or what.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OT- Personal WWII Account Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI