Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hex Areas and "Allowed Equipment Density"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Hex Areas and "Allowed Equipment Density" Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hex Areas and "Allowed Equipment Density" - 11/14/2007 6:13:25 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit
..troops don't disperse in jungle they clump, follow existing traills or cut new ones, , you put your feet where the native guide puts his, trust me on this..

If you're following a narrow track after a native guide, then the hex is badlands, and that's another issue. Of course you'd be insane to put large forces in badlands anyway as they will die there.

Just plain jungle means the terrain is passable to any motor vehicle in the game.

..i hesitated to suggest that jungle is badlands with added wood-work and wildlife, and becomes so about 2-3 miles from any village, altho it does explain a lot about Malaya 41..

< Message edited by a white rabbit -- 11/14/2007 6:14:08 PM >

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 61
RE: Hex Areas and "Allowed Equipment Density" - 11/15/2007 3:37:40 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..i hesitated to suggest that jungle is badlands with added wood-work and wildlife, and becomes so about 2-3 miles from any village, altho it does explain a lot about Malaya 41..

Just a jungle hex is not impermeable to motorised equipment nor to supply. Therefore it must have significant trackways through the hex.

"Event 902: Bob Cross slays dragons!"

http://www.savemstateathletics.com/tdg/

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 62
RE: Hex Areas and "Allowed Equipment Density" - 11/15/2007 3:54:58 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Thus far, I haven’t seen anything to suggest that there’s anything wrong with Norm’s formula. It only concerns hex-scale, nothing else, and it handles that about as well as it can be handled. The adjustment it contains for the smaller hexes is justified. Clearly, the density penalty has to be dependent on hex-scale, regardless of whether it is also dependent on any other factors, and that is what Norm’s formula addresses.

Now, if there is any justification for further adjustments due to terrain (or anything else), those adjustments would be in addition to, and independent from, the current hex-scale formula. Personally, I only think there are a few cases where that will be an issue. Those would be the cases where the hex can only be entered via a road.

For example, consider relief. In TOAW relief is modeled via three terrain types: Hills, Mountains, and Alpine. A certain amount of relief above a minimum gets modeled as hills. It can be entered by all units and has some defense benefits. Increase the relief and it becomes modeled as mountains. Again, it can be entered by all units and has even more defense benefits. Finally, if the relief is so great that the terrain can’t be entered at all, it is modeled by Alpine. But Alpine can still be entered via a road through it.

A similar situation occurs for flooded marsh. Most units can only enter it via a road (although amphibious units are an exception). There are a few terrain types that can’t be entered by motorized units (badlands, dunes, etc.), except via a road. Super rivers and canals are similar to flooded marsh, except their movement prohibition can be overridden by fording ability, so I would omit them from this list.

In the cases where a unit can only enter a hex via a road, perhaps there ought to be some modeling of the impact of that fact. We can consider how to do it later. (A density penalty increase might be part of it. Also, the unit might be prohibited from incurring traffic penalties to enter the hex).

But, beyond those cases, I don’t think there is reason for any other terrain adjustments. Unusable terrain is terrain that can’t be entered. TOAW has specific terrain types to cover those cases (Alpine, Flooded Marsh, etc.). By definition, if the terrain can be entered, it can be used. (There’s some abstraction there, but that’s standard-operating-procedure for wargaming).

Should scenario designers have the ability to adjust the density penalty rate for their scenarios? Of course! Item 7.10 in the wishlist is one of my favorites (after all, I’ve designed both a Waterloo and a Gettysburg scenario, not to mention two WWI scenarios). For those who haven’t downloaded the wishlist, here’s what that item says:

7.10 Density combat penalties applied to all units, not just stacks.
7.10.1 Density combat penalty rates editable by designer. (Density movement penalties due to traffic jams are not affected by this.)

Note that one important part of that item is to apply density penalties to single units, not just stacks. (I actually still consider this to be a bug fix, not an enhancement).

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 11/15/2007 3:55:29 PM >

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 63
RE: Hex Areas and "Allowed Equipment Density" - 11/15/2007 4:26:44 PM   
vahauser

Curtis,

You have item 7.10 on your wishlist.  Yes. But item 7.10 on your wishlist is not specific when it comes to implementation.

golden delicious proposed a specific implementation that I endorse and advocate: 

1) The scenario designer is given the option to choose the AED for his scenario. 
2) If the scenario designer chooses not to use this option, then the standard TOAW III formula for AED will be applied as the default.
3) If the scenario designer does choose to edit the AED for his scenario, then he simply enters the AED value he wants for his scenario into the data field provided by this option, and the standard TOAW III formula for AED is overridden.
4) The AED value entered by the scenario designer choosing to do so must be a number between 1 and 99,999 (or some other sufficiently large number). [This has been added by me and was not part of golden delicious's original solution.]

Anyway, I heartily approve of golden delicious's proposed implementation and I wish that I had this option today exactly as described above.

< Message edited by vahauser -- 11/15/2007 5:07:54 PM >

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 64
RE: Hex Areas and "Allowed Equipment Density" - 11/16/2007 11:41:41 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: vahauser
1) The scenario designer is given the option to choose the AED for his scenario. 
2) If the scenario designer chooses not to use this option, then the standard TOAW III formula for AED will be applied as the default.
3) If the scenario designer does choose to edit the AED for his scenario, then he simply enters the AED value he wants for his scenario into the data field provided by this option, and the standard TOAW III formula for AED is overridden.
4) The AED value entered by the scenario designer choosing to do so must be a number between 1 and 99,999 (or some other sufficiently large number). [This has been added by me and was not part of golden delicious's original solution.]

I don't see how that's any different from what 7.10.1 says. You would be able to edit the AED to whatever you want. How, specifically, does the above differ from that?

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 65
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Hex Areas and "Allowed Equipment Density" Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI