A Beginners Guide To Random Maps... By A Beginner!!

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

dave74

A Beginners Guide To Random Maps... By A Beginner!!

Post by dave74 »

I am going to post a report of a random game i am setting up as i play it. I will try and post plenty of screenshots to explain whats going on.

I have played half a random game so for for five or six hours and it occured to me to post a game while playing it to give people a feel for this game and as i am also a beginner, the experienced guys on the forum can point out any mistakes or rectify any poor explinations i may give.

So, here goes.. Wish me luck!!!
dave74

RE: A Beginners Guide To Randon Maps... By A Beginner!!

Post by dave74 »

SETUP -

I have chosen to make my game have a 60 x 60 hex size, with 40 % land. This will hopefully mean i get to use naval units as well as land and air.

Also 30 % of the land will be forest , 25 % mountain and 5 % swamp. This should make for some interesting terrain.

I have decided against having the full first level tech this means that myself and my opponents will start off with limited units we can produce and we will have to research to get additional production options.

There will be 6 regimes which means i will be up against 5 ai opponents. These will not be allied so we will all be against each other.

I have also doubled the cost of research to slow this down a liitle bit and forcing me to choose my research paths carefully.

The Winner of this game will be the first reginme to own 80 % of the 40+ towns which will be on the map.
Attachments
img_001.gif
img_001.gif (163.14 KiB) Viewed 802 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

SETUP (Continued) -

These are the in-game settings. I have decided against a shroud (Which would mean i would have to explore the map civ-style) but i am going to play with fog of war on. I am also playing with Anti-Supply which i thinl means your supply routes can be interfered with if you do not protect them.

I have changed the computer generated random regime names to add a bit more flavour - i am going to be the confederate states and the ai players will be germany, uk, japan , ussr and usa.

Finally i have set the ai regimes to 'ai+' this means that the ai will receive a 100 % production bonus over what i receive. As i am a beginner, i may regret this, but i want a tough game to see how good the ai is.
Attachments
img_002.jpg
img_002.jpg (88.87 KiB) Viewed 783 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

FIRST TURN -

This is my starting position. It would seem i am on an island with no other regimes. This is good as i should be able to capture the other four towns on the island without any problems, but it is bad as i will struggle to capture other towns without a navy.

Attachments
img_003.jpg
img_003.jpg (112.51 KiB) Viewed 784 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

FIRST TURN PRODUCTION -

I am limited in what i can make as i have only limited research. But for the first few turns this does not matter that much as i know what i want to get me going -

I am producing 50 rifle companies. Rifles are the backbone of your army and i intend to produce a lot of these initially so i can raise plenty of divisions for defence.

Trucks are needed as they increase the amount of transportation capacity my hq has. Staff companies increase the efficiency of your HQ which is then passed on to units in the vacinity as a combat bonus representing organisation (i think). The larger your force becomes the more staff is required to keep these bonuses.

Finally supply. As i am a beginner i am not 100 % with the supply rules but i am going to work on the theory of producing enough each turn then i wont get problems. Some of the experts out there may be able to tell me if this is the wrong way to approach this!!
Attachments
img_004.jpg
img_004.jpg (91.48 KiB) Viewed 787 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

STRATEGIC MAP -

This shows the overall picture. The red square is my island. I think i am going to have to try and quickly take the smaller islands and set up a defensive perimeter. Maybee i shoul have played as Japan!!

Attachments
img_005.jpg
img_005.jpg (91.36 KiB) Viewed 783 times
EricSilver_MatrixForum

Post by EricSilver_MatrixForum »

Great job, Dave, I'll be following with interest this AAR.

;)
seille

Post by seille »

Me too.
I hope the confederate states will make it [:D]
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Thanks Eric / Seille

I appreciate your kind words. I do have the feeling i will be defeated as in the only other game ive played i set the ai to normal and i was having to defend on five fronts!!!
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Looks good Dave :)

How did u get relatively historical names for the AI? My random games have Twilight Alliance and stuff like that. I've never seen Japan or Britain listed
Punzer

Post by Punzer »

Well, I'm a beginner too, but it looks good to me! I'm very interested in your game.

Anti-Supply seems to be an abstraction of Sea Control. If you have more naval and air power at sea than your rivals, they'll suffer from damage inflicted by anti-supply upon their naval transport (think wolfpack missions directed at supply convoys). The reverse is also true. At least this is my understanding, as a beginner.

Good luck and keep us posted! [:D]
dave74

Post by dave74 »

SECOND TURN -

This turn i created the first divisions of the confederate army. Each division is only 10 rifle companies strong, which means they would be weak in combat, but i am going to use them to 'land grab' and will add to these divisions later when more men and material are available.

Setting up new formations costs 1 political point each and you also need pp's to invest in research. As i only have 15 pp's after making these new divisons i am going to have to start producing these as soon as possible at either my capital or one of the towns i intend to conquer.

Attachments
img_006.jpg
img_006.jpg (110.84 KiB) Viewed 782 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Thanks Banquet,

You can eduit your random game which then takes you into the editor. Click on regimes and you can change names, if you then click on statistics you can change flags, regime colour etc. I am no expert on this, i think tweber or seille or one of the other experienced guys may be able to explain better.
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Pika,

Thats how i see it as well. On a map like this with islands i think it will play a part!!!
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Thx Dave, I'll try that
Punzer

Post by Punzer »

I've yet to play a map with this much water, so I'm very interested in how this plays out. [:D]

You also seem to be a good deal braver than I am with your game settings. I intend to break out the popcorn....[;)]
dave74

Post by dave74 »

Pika - do not mistake foolishness for bravery [:D]
EagleMountainDK

Post by EagleMountainDK »

What a great idea Dave, looking forward to learn from your mistakes [:D][;)]
dave74

Post by dave74 »

TURN 3 -

I have taken two towns on this turn, neither are as strong on production as my capital but both will add to the war effort. I have also made two 25 rifle company sized divisions in my capital, the idea being to ship these as soon as possible to try and grab the two small islands off my north west coast.

As the cursor is on my capital, you can see the divisions and my hq which are sharing this hex on the right hand side under the mini-map
Attachments
img_007.jpg
img_007.jpg (126.9 KiB) Viewed 783 times
dave74

Post by dave74 »

I have now gained additional production capacity. I am going to build some cargo ships to enable me to grab those two islands which are between me and the large island to the north. I have also noticed that this island is turning blue in colour, it would seem that my enemy to the north may well be the United States of America......

Attachments
img_008.jpg
img_008.jpg (80.58 KiB) Viewed 782 times

Return to “After Action Reports”