Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Masterfile & modding question...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Masterfile & modding question... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Masterfile & modding question... - 11/3/2007 3:18:18 PM   
Jim_H

Hi,

After reading some of the threads here and playing with the editor, can I just check that my understanding of something is correct please?

Let's say I want to create a new gfx pack for a scenario. Rather than force the player to mess around, am I right in thinking that I can simply copy the existing masterfile (thereby creating a new one) and use that as the template for a new mod?

Cheers,
Jim

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
Post #: 1
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/4/2007 4:58:13 PM   
Vic

yes you can do that.

you can also load the masterfile (by load scenario and browsing .masterfile file types) and save it under a different name.

kind regards,
Vic

(in reply to Jim_H)
Post #: 2
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/4/2007 5:07:27 PM   
Jim_H

Great. Thank you Vic

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 3
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/5/2007 11:57:20 PM   
PDiFolco

Ah thanks, I didn't had understood yet  how masterfiles were created/edited... They work as scenarios and are editable in the same way :!!
Brillant design ...

Does this means that if I want to "mod" the datafile, because I want less lethal arty, uber german tanks, , or whatever, I can automatically change the values in all the scens (thos using the ptmaster file w/o overwrites) by just editing it ?

That would be just greaaat !

(in reply to Jim_H)
Post #: 4
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/6/2007 12:52:45 AM   
tweber

A scenario file calls a masterfile to get all the unit and terrain data.  So, changing the masterfile changes all scenarios that use the masterfile.  However, you should be careful when playing around with a masterfile.  If you delete a location or unit or terrain type that is on the map, the scenario will not run properly.  I would definitely save your masterfile in a safe place before messing around with it.

Also, with events, there are lots of ways to tailor scenarios without changing the masterfile.  I would recommend looking at that first.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 5
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/6/2007 2:20:16 PM   
PDiFolco

Tweber,
I agree with you - my idea was to make some sort of "updated/tweaked" master file for more historicity (at least IMO historicity) and be able to use it for multiple scenarios.

I'm still not clear about one thing : how is a scen linked to a given masterfile ?

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 6
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/6/2007 9:00:47 PM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Ah thanks, I didn't had understood yet  how masterfiles were created/edited... They work as scenarios and are editable in the same way :!!
Brillant design ...

Does this means that if I want to "mod" the datafile, because I want less lethal arty, uber german tanks, , or whatever, I can automatically change the values in all the scens (thos using the ptmaster file w/o overwrites) by just editing it ?

That would be just greaaat !

yes.. but be wary with what your change. for example dont just delete light forest landscapetype because that would screw up all scenarios that use that masterfile. You can change the name of light forest to for example: woodlands. Or change the sprite or the stats.

kind regards,
vic

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 7
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/6/2007 11:57:28 PM   
GJK

Just to be sure: I assume that the file named "masterlog.mlc" is the "masterfile" that is referenced here? I want to make a copy and tuck it away in a safe place in case I get carried away in the editor.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 8
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/7/2007 12:16:17 AM   
PDiFolco

Huuh no, it's the file called generic.ptmaster in Scenario folder. It's editable with the editor, just open it as a "scenario" (which it is, it even has a map - sort of ! )

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 9
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/7/2007 11:24:00 AM   
GJK

Probably asked and answered elsewhere but I'll be lazy and ask again - what happens if I mod/alter my masterfile and I play a pbem game with someone who has not changed their masterfile in the same way (or isn't sharing a copy of my masterfile)?

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 10
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/7/2007 1:34:49 PM   
Vic

the masterfile is only read upon loading of the scenario. it is not loaded anymore after start of play, in subsequent loading of saved games.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 11
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/9/2007 10:15:52 AM   
kram

Please Vic can you explain in detail how it's possible to make a new masterfile, maybe with some screenshot, as in your tutorial about making a new simple scenario?
Thanks and bests regards.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 12
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/9/2007 12:28:08 PM   
PDiFolco

kram
It looks pretty simple : for a starter, just copy the generic.ptmaster file (in /Scen folder) to "whatever".ptmaster.
Launch game, load "scenario", change the file ext in the file selection dilaog to .ptmaster , then select "whatever".

Click edit, you're editing a masterfile !
Change whatever you want - say hp of Infantry from 100 to 200 just as an example, then save.

Now load any WW2 scenario (they use the standard masterfile), edit it, go to "settings", there's a line called "master file" : there you can change the masterfile used and set it to your "whatever" masterfile.
If you save (not sure you should !), now you've a scenario using your modded masterfile .

Pretty cool for modding imho  !

(in reply to kram)
Post #: 13
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/9/2007 12:35:17 PM   
kram

Thanks PDiFolco.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 14
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/9/2007 2:20:45 PM   
Vic

you can also load the masterfile in the editor and save it under a differentname.ptmaster

you can also make a new scenario and save it as a masterfile.

kind regards,
vic

(in reply to kram)
Post #: 15
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/9/2007 2:48:47 PM   
Max 86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

you can also load the masterfile in the editor and save it under a differentname.ptmaster

you can also make a new scenario and save it as a masterfile.

kind regards,
vic

This is a very important distinction.

If you want to just create a scenario, click on create a scenario but realize that if you want to make "global" changes to all scenarios based on the masterfile, load scenario generic.ptmaster and edit away.

The masterfile is basically a template with "default" data entered. When you click on Create Scenario you are opening a version of the masterfile and doing a "Save As" function with another file name such as Stalingrad.pt2

Is that a fair description?.

< Message edited by Max 86 -- 11/9/2007 2:51:44 PM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 16
RE: Masterfile & modding question... - 11/9/2007 2:53:23 PM   
Vic

Warning: Just do not change you default.ptmaster like that because it will affect all scenarios comming with the game since they all use this masterfile.

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Masterfile & modding question... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI