Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Question about supply...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> A Question about supply... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Question about supply... - 10/30/2007 5:32:22 PM   
dave74

Getting a feel for the game at the moment. Think i will really enjoy this. I would like clarification on supply by someone who is a bit more clued up on the game than me.

As far as i can see, supply runs from your towns to your supreme hq, which in turn then dishes out supply to each unit attached to it. So if i have two subformations attached these will 'feed' off my supreme hq. If after taking over a second town (i wil call this davetown) i then make another hq (i will call this davehq) this will also receive supply from my supreme hq.

I assume the above is ok, so i will get to my questions -

if i set davetown to produce supplies and set its destination hq as davehq, will davehq use these supplies or still try to take supplies from the supreme hq?

what affects supply range? i assume amount of trucks/horses? is there a calculation for working this out or am i looking into this too deep?

i would appreciate some clarification if possible!!
Post #: 1
RE: A Question about supply... - 10/30/2007 7:16:49 PM   
Jim_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave74
Getting a feel for the game at the moment. Think i will really enjoy this. I would like clarification on supply by someone who is a bit more clued up on the game than me.

Which is why I'm wondering why I am attempting to answer you!

quote:

As far as i can see, supply runs from your towns to your supreme hq, which in turn then dishes out supply to each unit attached to it. So if i have two subformations attached these will 'feed' off my supreme hq. If after taking over a second town (i wil call this davetown) i then make another hq (i will call this davehq) this will also receive supply from my supreme hq.

Not necessarily. You can set the HQ to which towns will deliver. So, to keep it simple...three towns all producing supply and infantry, a Supreme HQ and two sub HQ's. You can set each town to deliver to a seperate HQ each turn. Or a combination of however you want it. Juggling supply and unit delivery is one of the fun things as it really keeps you on your toes!

quote:

if i set davetown to produce supplies and set its destination hq as davehq, will davehq use these supplies or still try to take supplies from the supreme hq?

Both, I think. If the supply from davetown is insufficient, I "think" davehq will then take from Supreme HQ the remainder. It's a guess, and subject to correction by someone who knows what they're talking about!

quote:

what affects supply range? i assume amount of trucks/horses? is there a calculation for working this out or am i looking into this too deep?

Yes, transport is a big factor. But so is anti-supply and roads. Look at the position of your units, the road system and the transport available. These are all factors to take into account. Again, I'm happy to be corrected.

quote:

i would appreciate some clarification if possible!!

Yep, me too

Sorry, I did try though.

Regards,
Jim

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 2
RE: A Question about supply... - 10/30/2007 7:37:32 PM   
dave74

Thanks Jim,

I have just played a random map for a couple of hours and i think my findings go along with what you said. I appreciate your effort in explaining this for me.

I think i could get hooked on this one. I wish you could choose nations like uk, jap, ger etc for the random maps though.

(in reply to Jim_H)
Post #: 3
RE: A Question about supply... - 10/30/2007 8:44:42 PM   
Awac835

Turn on F5 to get the supply layer. Amount of trucks dosent affect supply, atleast that havent been my experience.

Only thing affecting supply is range from HQ to its units. Total amount of AP can max be 250. Road travel takes 1 AP plain takes 20, mountains and heavy forest alot more.
1-100, 100% supply
101-150, 75% supply
151-200, 50% supply
201-250, 25% supply
above 250 ap means no supply 0%

To claryfy.
If your supply have to travel 60 hexes on road that takes 60 ap, then maybe after the 60 hexes the supply need to travel over 3 hexes of plain to get to the unit the HQ want to supply.

That would be 60 + 3*20 = 120 action points which means the hex that the unit is on only in 75% supply. So if a unit is requesting 150% of its base supply due to needeing to regain readiness it will only receive 75% of that.

base supply 200
200 * 1.5 = 300 requested due to regaining readiness
becouse of level of supply = 75% it will only recieve 300*0.75 = 225.

now im a bit lost though becouse what happens with the rest of that supply is that simply lost? or will the HQ simply accumlate it in its stock.

Also if you produce way to much supply not all of the excess supply gets stored.

< Message edited by Awac835 -- 10/30/2007 9:08:35 PM >

(in reply to dave74)
Post #: 4
RE: A Question about supply... - 10/30/2007 8:55:07 PM   
Banquet

Agreed on the trucks. I don't think they have any effect.

I love the fact that roads are so important to supply in the game. If you get too far away from a road you're in serious trouble. It makes road networks very important to control. In a few games so far I've had enemy units take a road behind my advance and completely cut off my units. Even though technically there is a line of supply it just runs out of steam because it has to go off road.

I've read many times in WWII accounts of how important roads were key to the strategy of a battle but in many wargames supply can be traced over all kinds of terrain making roads useless except for movement rates. In AT keeping the roads clear of enemy units is vital and, equally a well planned 'raid' on an enemy held road will cause them big problems. It really adds to the strategy of the game! :)

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/norfolktraveller/command-banner_zps8a55d0fa.jpg

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 5
RE: A Question about supply... - 10/30/2007 9:00:27 PM   
Awac835

Yeah. I love how a well placed para drop can completely screw up a enemys advance if you dont keep som rear units to look after your supply chain and flank.

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 6
RE: A Question about supply... - 10/30/2007 9:43:16 PM   
Jim_H

Doh! Sorry dave74

The trucks thing I was thinking of is LandCap, not supply!!  So, lots of trucks in HQ = lots of LandCap points for transferring units. That's better. Never ask me anything.

Regards,
Jim

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 7
RE: A Question about supply... - 10/31/2007 12:29:40 AM   
freeboy

oh SH#T I swear truck affected supplies OOPS
thanks guys!

(in reply to Jim_H)
Post #: 8
RE: A Question about supply... - 10/31/2007 2:14:11 AM   
Awac835

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

oh SH#T I swear truck affected supplies OOPS
thanks guys!

dont worry imo you can never have enough trucks

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 9
RE: A Question about supply... - 10/31/2007 9:58:33 AM   
seille

quote:

dont worry imo you can never have enough trucks

100% agree. Trucks are worth a lot.
It´s great to have nearly unlimited transport room and motorize all units.

(in reply to Awac835)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> A Question about supply... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI