Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Edition Of John Tiller's Campaign Serie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New Edition Of John Tiller's Campaign Serie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Edition Of John Tiller's Campaign Serie - 10/20/2007 4:22:48 PM   
jpc91

I have Combat Mission (3 games) and I like them. I want to buy the New John Tiller's Campaign Serie. Is it a good choice ? What are the differences (micro management, difficulty, learning curve, fun...) ? You can say me others things, hints about these games.

Thanks for the answers.

jpc91
Post #: 1
RE: New Edition Of John Tiller's Campaign Serie - 10/20/2007 7:39:09 PM   
105mm Howitzer

HI jpc, welcome on. I too own all 3 CM games, and I recently bought the CS edition. Here's the beef. While CM has more micro-management. ( you move individual squads/vehicles ) CS takes this concept up a notch, by allowing you to move platoons/gun sections instead. You don't get to destroy individual buildings, but rather you could rubble generic villages /towns. You select ( in the dynamic campaign mode) the level of your command ( battalion/regimental, divisional), but it all remains at platoon level. ( in the linked campaign mode, leaders are individual counters)
You still have to deal with supply rules ( as such, out of ammo, out of touch with HQ,etc..) so you can't go haywire with your units without suffering some form of penalty. Finally, you have air cover, AA rules, hundreds of AFVs with their variants, scenarios galore, GREAT mod created scenarios as well, plus your usual pbem, online, etc..The AI can be tricky too, at times.
I hope this brief overview helps you. REply if you got other questions.
C ya.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to jpc91)
Post #: 2
RE: New Edition Of John Tiller's Campaign Serie - 10/20/2007 9:32:56 PM   
junk2drive

I play Steel Panthers, CM and CS. CS is easier on my eyes and less tedious than the others. The dice roll gameplay and supply rules make it different than a lot of games. Read that as enjoyable. There is a lot of dice roll behind the scenes in SP and CM that frustrates me.

CS allows a wider range of years, countries, and kit than CM.

The AI gets boring soon. I have yet to master beating  humans in PBEM.

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 3
RE: New Edition Of John Tiller's Campaign Serie - 10/20/2007 11:23:32 PM   
ravinhood

@Jpc91 you really get a lot for your money with the JT CS series. It's one of the few games from matrixgames that you get so much for so little. The AI is a bit shabby, but, it's shabby in those other games as well. It's enough for a newcomer or someone who doesn't play very often to be challenging though. I enjoy the Rising Sun portion myself. Cause there just aren't enough games where you get to kill japs. I don't usually recommend many games of today or even remakes of the past, but, this is one I would recommend. ;)

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 4
RE: New Edition Of John Tiller's Campaign Serie - 11/1/2007 10:53:06 PM   
jpc91

In first thanks to 1005mm Howitzer, junk2drive, ravinhood, and yuiymkgfftgh for the answers.
Matrix Campaign Serie is now on my shopping list for november 2007.

jpc91
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New Edition Of John Tiller's Campaign Serie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI