Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BioEd Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> BioEd Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BioEd Question - 10/17/2007 1:29:03 AM   
vahauser

How many total equipment slots are available in the BioEd? 1000? 2000? 3000?

Post #: 1
RE: BioEd Question - 10/17/2007 2:11:46 AM   
ColinWright

I don't think there're that many extra slots. Twenty or something?

Unless you're one of those .... who keep wanting to make a universal equipment base, that's not a problem. If I want to add something to Seelowe for example, I just replace the Sopwith Camel or whatever with what I want to add: you just use the slots for equipment that's irrelevant to your scenario.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/17/2007 2:33:58 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 2
RE: BioEd Question - 10/17/2007 2:49:55 AM   
Veers

His question appeared to be 'What is the total number of slots?' So it would appear he is asking, "How many are there, including those already defined?"

...I could be wrong. I'd also answer it, but I don't know.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 3
RE: BioEd Question - 10/17/2007 2:52:57 AM   
vahauser

Colin,

What I want to do is to make a WW2-only database, which will someday be called WW2.eqp.  So I have deleted all non-WW2 units from the ACOW104300 database.  I think that freed up several hundred equipment slots. 

I just need to know the total number of slots in a totally empty .eqp database so that I can plan my WW2-only database.

Post #: 4
RE: BioEd Question - 10/17/2007 2:55:22 AM   
BillLottJr

quote:

ORIGINAL: vahauser

How many total equipment slots are available in the BioEd? 1000? 2000? 3000?

I've added 294 items in the New Equipment section without any ill effects.

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 5
RE: BioEd Question - 10/17/2007 3:01:53 AM   
vahauser

All I want to know is the total size of an empty equipment database.  How many total unit slots in a totally empty equipment database?

(in reply to BillLottJr)
Post #: 6
RE: BioEd Question - 10/17/2007 4:29:07 AM   
ColinWright

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 10/17/2007 4:42:06 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 7
RE: BioEd Question - 10/17/2007 8:32:25 AM   
vahauser

Okay.  I answered my own question.  The hard way.  There are approximately 2,018 equipment slots.  According to Bill II, there might be room for another 200 or so units, which brings the possible maximum to around 2,200.  But I'm only going to count on 2,018 slots.

Post #: 8
RE: BioEd Question - 10/18/2007 3:52:27 AM   
desert

Are you really going to create 2,000 different equipments? I might want to see this scenario, if it can be played against a P.O.

"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 9
RE: BioEd Question - 10/18/2007 5:38:15 AM   
vahauser

desert,

My plan is to create a WW2 .eqp database that can be used to build any WW2 scenario.  I'm still in the planning stages of the database.  I haven't even begun to think about any specific scenarios yet.

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 10
RE: BioEd Question - 10/18/2007 9:06:12 AM   
Silvanski

fyi there is a WW2 db
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1064

TOAW Retrofit Dude

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 11
RE: BioEd Question - 10/18/2007 9:22:54 AM   
ColinWright

I can't resist pointing out one of my favorite themes: the same weapon has what amount to different ratings at different times.

Take Stukas. Famously potent in 1939-1941 -- less so thereafter, and not just because of enemy fighters.

Another example is the AT ability of the 25 pounder. It was actually a fair tank killer at first. However, eventually the Germans worked out that it only had an effective AT ability over a rather short range. So they took to sitting outside that range and shelling it with the 75 mm gun on the Mark IV. Sharp fall in the AT rating...

The Zero. Tore enemy planes up to and including the Spitfire to pieces -- until its opponents learned that you don't dog-fight with it. Your AA rating might be 15 in Dec 41 through June 42 or something -- 10 thereafter.

40 mm Bofors. In British hands, almost never used in ground combat until 1944. Then relied on heavily. AP rating jumps from zero to whatever the fine number is in the database.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 12
RE: BioEd Question - 10/18/2007 10:04:26 AM   
vahauser

Silvanski,

I might take a look at that WW2 database, but I think I'm gonna do my own.  First because that is the best way to learn how to do it.  Second because I believe that the Steel Panthers data is very solid, especially its tank and penetration data.  I already did naval and air ratings for a wargame company I used to work for and so I can use those (I'm still under a non-disclosure agreement so I can't divulge how I developed those air and naval ratings but I can adapt the ratings themselves to TOAW as long as I don't reveal the algorithms).  So my biggest problem is squeezing thousands of possible unit ratings into the 2,018 equipment slots available in the BioEd.  That's what I'm working on right now.

As far as rating multiple versions of various weapons systems, that will be problematic since even with 2,018 equipment slots there are thousands more equipments capable of being rated than available equipment slots.  I can already tell that naval and air units will suffer the most, since TOAW is first and foremost a ground-combat game.  I'll probably be limited to "generic" naval units (although by eliminating all post-WW2 and the obsolete pre-WW2 naval units I'll still be able to add some more variety to the WW2 naval units even if they are "generic").  As for air units, I'll probably have to focus on the "famous" air units first, and hope that some of the more obscure air units can squeeze in.  And I'll probably have to label them such as A6M Reisen (early) and A6M Reisen (late) rather than getting into all the variants.  For example, there were probably a dozen variants each of the FW-190 and the Me-109 that made it into quantity production.  No way I can include them all.  I'll probably keep the Me-109 as air-superiority variants (since that is what they were best at) and maybe include a ground attack variant of the FW-190 (like the FW-190F).  But not enough room to give any aircraft model more than a couple variants, and only the most famous will even get a couple.  It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

EDIT: Speaking of naval units, I've noticed that there are no submarines in TOAW. Has anybody done any submarine equipment ratings and can TOAW handle submarines?

< Message edited by vahauser -- 10/18/2007 10:13:52 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: BioEd Question - 10/18/2007 1:30:36 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

EDIT: Speaking of naval units, I've noticed that there are no submarines in TOAW. Has anybody done any submarine equipment ratings and can TOAW handle submarines?

With the naval engine as it is, submarines as a unit just don't make sense. No matter what you do to the equipment they are still going to function as a special type of surface ship- not as a submarine.

Use the event engine.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 10/18/2007 1:33:16 PM >

"Event 902: Bob Cross slays dragons!"

http://www.savemstateathletics.com/tdg/

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 14
RE: BioEd Question - 10/18/2007 2:29:53 PM   
Silvanski

quote:

Silvanski,

I might take a look at that WW2 database, but I think I'm gonna do my own.  First because that is the best way to learn how to do it. 

I agree... I have used the bio-ed for minor changes and it takes a bit to do it flawless...
The manual was a great help though.
It'll be interesting to see what you're gonna brew up

TOAW Retrofit Dude

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 15
RE: BioEd Question - 10/18/2007 4:56:25 PM   
a white rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

With the naval engine as it is, submarines as a unit just don't make sense. No matter what you do to the equipment they are still going to function as a special type of surface ship- not as a submarine.

Use the event engine.

..wot 'e said..

..in a purely naval scen, with the sea BioEded clear-terrain-painted-blue subs can use Guerrilla or SF icons nicely, in more or less standard scens you're limited..use the EvEd

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 16
RE: BioEd Question - 10/18/2007 9:13:06 PM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

fyi there is a WW2 db
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1064

Good job, Silv. I knew there was, but totally forgot where it was.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> BioEd Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI