Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WoW It's HUGE!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WoW It's HUGE!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 2:48:24 AM   
ravinhood

I just got my 19" Acer Flatscreen LCD Monitor I won off of Ubid last week for $92 bucks and I am amazed at the size and quality and crispness and sharpness of the picture. I was worried about those pixels things I'd read reviews about from other people who bought other monitors. But, no pixel problems that I can see. But, this screen is just HUGE!! Man...I'm playing on 1400 x 1050 and I cannot believe all the extra information I can see and read and I finally don't have to lean into the monitor to read stuff. This is awesome. ;) I'd been using a 15" CRT monitor for years, wow since like 1998 and was just waiting for a good price on one of these. Ubid's a good place to get one if you want one at bargain bin prices. ;O) I had bought a couple of CTX AMD's from them several years back before I started buiding my own. Very good prices. And this monitor package came with all the cables and built in sound. Though the sound heh isn't that great, but, I didn't buy it for the built in sound anyways. It's almost like watching a mini movie picture show with this wide screen. I'm going to have to get used to this cause I'm so used to sitting about 6 inches from the monitor. lol I might save my eyesight afterall now.
One thing about all the reviews I read ACER got the best of them all overall with recommendations and happy with their purchase and I spent a long time reading reviews before I bought one. I got the 5ms 800 contrast one, there's all kinds to select from. I saw some 2ms 1000 contrast ones but they were more expensive and I don't play FPSers and from what I read that's what those types are for. What kinda monitors yalls got? ;)
Post #: 1
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 3:03:06 AM   
rogueusmc

Westinghouse 20" flatpanel here...I'm very happy with it.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 2
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 7:06:48 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Dude, 19" ? that's so like, 2 years ago.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 8:12:47 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Dude, 19" ? that's so like, 2 years ago.

Bah! I've had 19" monitor for past 4 years already! It's CRT though, but resolution goes up to 1600x1200 with 85 Hz

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 4
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 12:32:37 PM   
Charles_22

My place was robbed about 5 months ago. In the robbery they took among other things a 13" regular tv from my gameroom. They also destroyed my quite new 27" living room tv. Now I have a 22" HD LCD flat panel, and though I have never used it for the computer, I probably will be tempted someday to use it for that, especially when hdtv's or the new kid that's not quite on the block yet lowers their prices quite a bit more. What rh said is true of mine as well, that I don't see any bad pixels, but I'm using it just for tv. It's some off-brand called Insignia. If I ever get something in HD with a larger screen, then I can very seriously consider using the current LCD in the computer room, but to be fair, I don't think my eyes could take a full 22" up that close. You would just about have to have the set on a different stand further back from the desk where you're sitting. A 22" screen sure would make internet browsing quite a bit easier though.

Oh man, I just checked Insignia at Best Buy where I bought the 22" about 3-4 months ago. I think I'm going to be sick. this thing is only 70 more expensive than when I bought the 22". http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8274379&st=insignia&type=product&id=1171058028982

Not a total loss though, as it does show me the price has come down considerably. Mine was a 720p as well, but I think I will get the larger tv at 1020p  As good as my 720p looks, it sure is tempting.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 5
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 1:21:27 PM   
HansBolter

Up until lat year I had a behemoth flat cathode ray tube 21" Sony Trinitron monitor.

I gave it to my brother when I got a Samsung 22" wide screen flat panel display.

(in reply to Charles_22)
Post #: 6
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 5:50:47 PM   
Yogi the Great

Oh good, the thread is ok!

I keep getting spam emails with similar titles, and I hated to see our forum advertise as well.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 10/11/2007 5:54:08 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 6:03:42 PM   
mack2

I had a 17" crt. Then I had a 19" crt for a few years. This year I upgraded to a 22" flatscreen, widescreen ChiMei LCD running at 1680x1050. Pure Awesome.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 8
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 6:58:02 PM   
ilovestrategy

Well I bet at least one person on this forum will agree with me that when you finally hit middle age like me your back is very grateful for a LCD monitor that weighs only a few pounds at most   

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 9
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 7:11:45 PM   
Zap

Yea I,ll agree the light weight along with the smaller footprint. I can now see my desk. With a CRT there was little room left to put papers and do other work.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 10
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/11/2007 8:03:20 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Switched from 17" NEC CRT to LG 20" Widescreen..This is heaven for me. ( although, I am eyeing that LG 22"...humm, Cristmas IS coming up)

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 11
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/12/2007 12:04:49 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Well I bet at least one person on this forum will agree with me that when you finally hit middle age like me your back is very grateful for a LCD monitor that weighs only a few pounds at most   

Yeah I remember having a 17" monitor one time and it weighed a ton. They are just so sleek and lite weight. I got dizzy playing Guild Wars as it felt like I was right there with the crispness and sharpness of the picture now. If you position your head down looking at the ground and spin around you'll actually get vertigo just like in real life. Now that's realim. ;)

Post #: 12
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/12/2007 12:27:20 AM   
ezzler

Just bought 22" acer today.
This was mainly to play hornet leader.
Nothing under 19" in pc world would go to 1024 x 1050

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 13
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/12/2007 1:58:19 AM   
anarchyintheuk

He who has the most toys wins.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 14
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/12/2007 2:44:37 AM   
CapnDarwin

Twin 19" Flatscreens on my rig.

Work on Southern Storm continues! Very busy times right now.

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 15
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/12/2007 3:58:21 AM   
ravinhood

Playing the Paradox games in 1400 x 1050 is awesome now. So much more screen to see what is going on now. And what is the advantage of playing with two monitors on the same rig?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 16
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/12/2007 10:16:31 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: mack2

This year I upgraded to a 22" flatscreen, widescreen ChiMei LCD running at 1680x1050. Pure Awesome.

Really? HDTV resolution is 1920×1080. When I get my next monitor, I'll make sure it supports that resolution.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 17
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/12/2007 3:30:16 PM   
Banquet

I'd love an HDTV res monitor, but they're a bit too expensive for me to afford at the moment. Currently I have 2 19" flatscreens (one is widescreen)

Most games don't support dual monitors but some do (FSX is one that does) Apart from gaming though, it is great having 2 monitors. If you do any video processing you can have the video on one screen and the editor controls on the other (that's the reason I got a 2nd one) but, once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to 1 even for normal use. A game that runs windowed means you can have the internet on the other monitor. Or use the 2nd one for TV, or just for checking email while browsing, etc etc

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 18
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/13/2007 12:46:53 PM   
Charles_22

Hey guys, when thinking in the negative, those super-heavy monitors aren't so bad. At the time of the burglary I didn't have the 22" HDTV, but I had the 27" flat panel alongside actually a couple of 19 or 20 inch computer monitors (one of which was an old one I don't use). The thugs were looking for lightweight stuff, such as cash, rifle, stereo components. They took the small tv (13"), but they didn't bother any of the computer monitors. I guess they hated that my main tv was a 27" they couldn't carry, so they decided to bust that one. Actually they didn't bust it directly, but knocked over the video console it was on, basically a piece of furniture, and it just so happens the fall killed it. They also knocked over a book shelf with no audio/video equipment on them, while another bookcase in the living room they ignored. Funny too, because on that bookshelf I had a company ring that had like 5 diamonds in it easily seen in it's glass case.

Now if I get a return visit, my HDTV is most assuredly gone.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 10/13/2007 12:49:54 PM >

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 19
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/13/2007 8:25:07 PM   
ravinhood

Yah know Charles if you put up a sign on your front door "Beware of Pet Rattlesnake" you know I don't think you'll ever be robbed again. I know I haven't. ;)

(in reply to Charles_22)
Post #: 20
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/14/2007 9:21:26 AM   
Charles_22

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Yah know Charles if you put up a sign on your front door "Beware of Pet Rattlesnake" you know I don't think you'll ever be robbed again. I know I haven't. ;)

I've done a few things, burglar bars all around the house being the most noteworthy since that last breakin. I always wanted burglar bars in that neighborhood, but they had to break into my house at least a second time to convince me I needed to make their attempts more delayed. While on the surface that sign sounds either fine or corny, the one thing that occurs to me, is if the rattler is really poisonous, how does the owner keep from getting bit, assuming it's loose (you must be talking about faking them out with a sign)? Because I thought, well why not just have a real one as well; loose that is? It would also be debateable whether having a sign like that would be legal. Even more debateable if you had a loose one for that purpose, sign or not. They have some laws against booby traps and I'm sure that would fit into that category, if not for the category on how we shouldn't be mean to thugs.

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 10/14/2007 9:25:44 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 21
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/14/2007 7:31:08 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Weight, sheer bulk and in the Summer time, no extra heat !

I do think picture quality has come down a notch from CRT's but sheesh, that's a small price to pay.

Post #: 22
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/15/2007 5:56:39 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

quote:

I've done a few things, burglar bars all around the house being the most noteworthy since that last breakin. I always wanted burglar bars in that neighborhood, but they had to break into my house at least a second time to convince me I needed to make their attempts more delayed. While on the surface that sign sounds either fine or corny, the one thing that occurs to me, is if the rattler is really poisonous, how does the owner keep from getting bit, assuming it's loose (you must be talking about faking them out with a sign)? Because I thought, well why not just have a real one as well; loose that is? It would also be debateable whether having a sign like that would be legal. Even more debateable if you had a loose one for that purpose, sign or not. They have some laws against booby traps and I'm sure that would fit into that category, if not for the category on how we shouldn't be mean to thugs.

At least we can still shoot them while trespassing. BTW, what neighborhood?

(in reply to Charles_22)
Post #: 23
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/15/2007 10:08:08 PM   
Zakhal

I have had one 32" LCD HDTV (plus old 19"crt backup) as both film viewer and computer screen for over year now. Best thing I ever bought.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 10/15/2007 10:11:06 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 24
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/16/2007 10:46:33 AM   
ravinhood

You GOT a 32" MONITOR???!!! Man that must be awesome. Where was it you said you LIVED again? ;)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 25
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/16/2007 1:18:40 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

You GOT a 32" MONITOR???!!! Man that must be awesome.

No, he said HDTV. My littlebrother has that size thing too, though it's only 768p instead full 1080p.

MekWars

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 26
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/16/2007 3:26:59 PM   
ravinhood

well the way he worded it as BOTH FILM viewer and COMPUTER screen it sounded like he had a 32" monitor and tv built into one.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 27
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/16/2007 9:47:57 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

well the way he worded it as BOTH FILM viewer and COMPUTER screen it sounded like he had a 32" monitor and tv built into one.

Well thers nothing special in that. I have ps2 (slim), cable and pc hooked all into the TV. They are just different channels.

32" is great for reading too. Its so big I can read web/pdf/etc from sofa 2-3 meters away (with wireless mouse).

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 10/16/2007 10:03:18 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 28
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/17/2007 1:16:21 AM   
ravinhood

But a ps2 is a toy not a computer. ;) (ducking hiding running away)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 29
RE: WoW It's HUGE!! - 10/17/2007 1:30:34 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

But a ps2 is a toy not a computer. ;) (ducking hiding running away)

Well I have computer hooked too...ps2 is just extra. The slim model (dvd case size) was only 100€. Its the only console I have ever bought.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 10/17/2007 1:33:29 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WoW It's HUGE!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI