Ok, welcome all, except Grognerd & now NY59Giant … my name ‘n01487477’ just rolls off the tongue doesn’t it ? It's my nom de plume / alias for my real name Damian ...
I'm currently living and working in Sth Korea / Fusan on this map (Busan in real life)
Anyway, Grognerd and I have been playing for about a month, he has played PBEM before and is kind enough to provide advice and general information that I hadn’t thought about. Always good to have someone who just wants a good game…
Neither of us had played BigB1.4 with AB extended map, (we started this PBEM just after its release) --- I thought this would give you a good idea of how it plays.
This is my first PBEM / AAR ... using RYBECK's house rules, because they seemed ok ... my failures are already apparent, but I hope to include snippets of strategy stuff I’ve read from the forum, my DATABASE REPORTS & other snippets… to help other newbie PBEMer’s. IT REALLY IS A DIFFERENT GAME V AI.
Check out my ACCESS DB (from csv files generated by WITPDecoder) ... comments ???
BORING STUFF to follow!
1. Sub doctrines off
2. Fog of War on
3. Advanced weather on (wish I hadn’t used this one ! )
4. Allied damage control on
5. Historical 1st turn off
6. PDU on
7. Variable setup OFF
8. Dec 7 surprise on
9. Variable replacements +/- 15 days
10. Auto subs on
11. Auto facility expand off
12. Auto airgroup upgrade off
13. Accept air/ground replacements on
1. No more than 6 ships per ASW TF.
2. No more than 6 PT boats per TF, and maximum of 2 PT TFs in a hex.
3. Invasions allowed only on base or beach/dot hexes. No troop landings/invasions by submarines.
4. Japanese Kwantung Army forces must pay PP to leave Manchuria, and Japan’s units in China must also pay PP to leave. Likewise Allied forces in China and India must also pay PP to leave their respective theaters.
5. 4E bombers must operate from airfield of at least size 4. 4E bombers may not bomb below 10000 feet.
6. B-29s must operate from a minimum size 6 airfield. B-29s may not perform naval attack missions.
7. No overstacking at air bases. Stick to a maximum 115% of (50 aircraft x airbase size) except for transiting/damaged aircraft. So a size 4 airbase can have a max of 230 planes.
8. Japan may not upgrade light/dive-bomber army air units to Sallys or Helens, only to Lilys. Allies may not upgrade 2E air units to 4E bombers.
9. No Corsairs on US carriers until 1/44.
10. No Japanese strategic bombing against targets in China. Apart from AVG and Chinese air units, no other Allied air units to operate FROM Chinese bases.
11. Only 1 port attack on turn one. Also on turn 1, I will NOT conduct any “magic teleport” attacks. Will stick to the usual targets – Malaya/Philippines and maybe north Borneo. I will also NOT target the US carriers in the Pacific.
12. On turn one, only Allied units in China and Malaya may move/redeploy.
13. On map “training” of air units is fine, but no exploiting the supply function to train bomber squadrons. Flying supplies into China (or wherever) with bombers is fine, but flying supply from San Francisco to Sacramento is not.
14. Corridor of 2 hexes, between Australia and India, for safe passage of troops.
Overall Strategy: Take what I can while I can. Sink as much as I can early. 1 outta 2 ain’t bad - so far...
Strategy Tips:- yes they are from the forum & things I've come to realise.
1. Use WitpDecoder ... it helps (Jap only)...
E.China,Korea,Russia has surplus of Oil and Res, IndoChina, Siam, Burma also have Res Surplus...the point is WitpDecoder can help you organise what is needed and where.
2. CL Oi & Katakami are the only radar equipped ships in the beginning, use them in your CV/CVL TF's...it gives an obvious bonus. Your next radar equipped ships are DD's about 200 days later ... advance them.
3. Accelerating ships costs its original points + 2* original points. So a DD normal = 22 ;accelerated = 66
4. Naval build points are for SS,CV,CVL,BB,DD,CL
Merchant for CVE,AR,AV,(all aux),CS,AS,AO,TK,MSW,AK,AP.
5. MSW's respawn.
6. Great debate about whether to use disband method to reinforce airgroups, and wait 90 days, or just to reinforce using fragments you create. The second is fiddly, but maybe it is the best ... I'll let you know,
7. Use leaders with high inspiration for training air groups. I've also found that dividing them can help, repair and improve skill. Or as some say take them to China and ground attack for 2-3 months.
8. Small groups of ships have a smaller detection level, sometimes you just need to sneak around.
9. Rarely use you CV groups at full speed, the sys dam increases dramatically. Always have a BB in you TF.
10. AO's should be rounded up early and used in conjunction with CV's.
11. Don't send APD's full speed to reach a SS, invariably you'll pay the price.
12. CA's can take good damage & should be included in a large scale invasion against coastal guns.
13. We started with reinforcement on, make sure you turn off what you don't need. For planes I add as needed. Esp.Zero's. Troops as needed. Armament points are not useless, but am investigating why a unit can be formed, but isn't at full strength even with surplus. Same with building units in a hex with 20K supply. more later.
14. Designate a rotation or port for ship types undergoing repairs. I think it helps. From reading, repair rates are determined by Port Size, Repair Size, Naval HQ, AR's, luck ... The first two seem to be the most important... upgrade accordingly.
15. Find what SS have search planes, use them for that purpose, they are valuable. Upgrade these to Jake's, better range.
16. Having too many planes in a carrier based squad can be caused by dividing and not setting replacements off. I divided because I wanted to see if it improved training. It seemed to. next time I'll turn replacements off and see if it doesn't cause the same problem. It solved itself eventually, with the a/c being moved back into the pool.
17. Check out this page for info on HQ's and reinforcements ... http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=687039
More later.. .
Game Bug’s encountered .. out of synch once and loss of animation/combat reports twice.
Solution: I made a quick VB program which looks at two Combat reports and tells of discrepancies … it took me about 30 mins … it’s quick and crappy but if you want a look email me.
Animation solution: allies must check that inside their preferences on the main map screen, that it is on before sending back to IJN player.
That’s all until next time … enjoy the pretty pics if you don’t want to read my ramblings.
< Message edited by n01487477 -- 1/21/2008 2:11:26 PM >