PH Strategy at Opening for Japanese

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Yank

PH Strategy at Opening for Japanese

Post by Yank »

In my current PBEM match, my Japanese opponent has decided to attempt a capture of Hawaii. We're now in the middle of January '42 and his transport convoys are just offshore of several of the Hawaiian islands. Incredibly, for such an early point in the game, the naval attririon is starting to add up for both sides.

As the Allied player I know the strategy that he's adopted will drive out both problems and opportunities for me. Even if I lose Hawaii, I have already put a serious dent in his naval strength with several BBs, CAs, CLs, and the Hiryu badly damaged and aflame. I am certain some of these will sink.

I want to learn from other Allied players who've had to deal with this opening strategy. Does anybody know of a PBEM AAR somewhere back in the archives that I can look to for some lessons?

Thanks.

Ils ne passeront pas

VSWG

RE: PH Strategy at Opening for Japanese

Post by VSWG »

For a successful attack on Hawaii read Admiral Laurent's AAR:
tm.asp?m=905926

Also, have a look at section III.B here:
tm.asp?m=1274014
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

I'm around 2/42 in a game very similar. My opponents took Midway right off the bat then proceeded to PH. He took Lahaini (sp) first. He really need that in order to bomb PH with LB because it starts with a Lvl 3 AF (I assume you are playing stock). He has taken all bases in the Hawiian Islands except PH. One thing that has helped is that I was able to get the 2nd Marine Div to PH before he attacked. Right now, PH is a stale mate. I would expect simalar attacks on Johnson and Palmyra, so get some troops there if possible. I've evacuated my airforce out of PH. All they were doing was dying, and his LB were keeping the airfield closed.

There is not much you can do this early in the war, especially if KB is still in the area. The allies just do not have enough troops available to stop Japan and still protect the mainland. And I would not put it past someone that has tried to take PH to try to take the mainland. I'm hoping in my game that I have enough troops on Johnson and Palmyra to hold them (I think I do). The good news is he should have needed to bring a lot of troops to the battle for PH, so he should not be able to be aggressive on other fronts.
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
Yank

Post by Yank »

Thanks VSWG, I will check those out.

Wow, I hadn't really given much thought to him attempting a try at one of the big West Coast cities in the US, but I guess that's a possible option. Better look to my LCU deployments there and the expected reinforcements. Frankly I was shocked he went after Hawaii. Even after he took Midway in December, I was not expecting this...

I think he made a mistake with KB. He kept it on the north side of the islands and bombed port and airfields at PH and didn't really dent my naval assets there. Meantime a lucky 1000lb bomb hit ruined Hiryu's day, and she is a long way from a major port. KB is now retreating westwards, leaving his invasion fleets exposed. But I know KB will be back. I have taken that opportunity to keep my three operating CVs (in two TFs) in the area, bringing them up from Johnston I. and operating on the south side of Hawaii, away from his Bettys and Nells at Midway, with a mass of fully fueled fleet oilers. I have seriously messed up some of his AK/AP convoys and many capital ships with airstrikes courtesy of admirals Halsey and Spruance.

I did leave some of my crippled BBs from the 12/7/41 strikes in PH as formed TFs. Unfortunately that may have been a mistake, as they didn't cause much damage on his invasion TFs, and several of them are now beneath the waves. PRobably should have sent them back to the WC for repairs especially considering how many VPs this has cost me.

But he has got to be vulnerable elsewhere. I'm thinking I should be able to raise hell in the Western Pacific.
Ils ne passeront pas

VSWG

Post by VSWG »

ORIGINAL: Yank

Thanks VSWG, I will check those out.

Wow, I hadn't really given much thought to him attempting a try at one of the big West Coast cities in the US, but I guess that's a possible option. Better look to my LCU deployments there and the expected reinforcements. Frankly I was shocked he went after Hawaii. Even after he took Midway in December, I was not expecting this...

I think he made a mistake with KB. He kept it on the north side of the islands and bombed port and airfields at PH and didn't really dent my naval assets there. Meantime a lucky 1000lb bomb hit ruined Hiryu's day, and she is a long way from a major port. KB is now retreating westwards, leaving his invasion fleets exposed. But I know KB will be back. I have taken that opportunity to keep my three operating CVs (in two TFs) in the area, bringing them up from Johnston I. and operating on the south side of Hawaii, away from his Bettys and Nells at Midway, with a mass of fully fueled fleet oilers. I have seriously messed up some of his AK/AP convoys and many capital ships with airstrikes courtesy of admirals Halsey and Spruance.

I did leave some of my crippled BBs from the 12/7/41 strikes in PH as formed TFs. Unfortunately that may have been a mistake, as they didn't cause much damage on his invasion TFs, and several of them are now beneath the waves. PRobably should have sent them back to the WC for repairs especially considering how many VPs this has cost me.

But he has got to be vulnerable elsewhere. I'm thinking I should be able to raise hell in the Western Pacific.
Either that, or you mass your fleet east of Pearl Harbor and strike the invasion. If you think there's a window of opportunity to strike the invasion convoys without cover of KB, then by all means go for it! Losing a couple of old battleship is well worth the price IMO. Even the loss of a carrier or two is acceptable if that enables you to defeat the invasion and leave a couple of Japanese divisions stranded at Hawaii, or at the bottom of the sea.
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

If he is trying to take PH without aircover from KB, then I think he is fighting an uphill battle. Don't let him take any islands that have airfields on them and he will not be able to bring any fighters into the area. Without fighter cover, you should be able to keep your airforce at PH and do a lot more damage to his invasion fleet. Remember, he needs to bring A LOT of fuel to the fight in order to support his fleet. If you are able to sink a couple of tanker/AO TFs, he will be dead in the water. Also, don't forget about your subs. A picket line between Midway and PH might let you know where the replenishment fleet is....or something better.
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
Barb

Post by Barb »

My opponent invaded Midway in 8th dec 1941 and soon after he landed on Lahiana. I snaked some supplies and one division into Hawaii with the loss of Sara. But now his 27,000 soldiers are starving there. So it was a bit contraproductive for him.
Yank

Post by Yank »

Yes, I'm thinking of massing to the east and sniping at him, bleeding his naval assets and hopefully dodging KB. So far I don't even have a scratch on he paint of my CVs. They will probably need a trip to the WC after my sorties run out however (now about 50% left in both TFs).

You're right, my goal is to get him into a land combat quagmire in Hawaii., I was able to reinforce with additional LCUs before the storm broke. I'll do what I can in the Wetern Pacific with the limited assets available there.

But I've already said too much, the enemy may be lurking on these boards...
Ils ne passeront pas

bobogoboom

Post by bobogoboom »

As a side note i'd let him land on the west coast. if he does you get all those national guard units and then he is realy screwed.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Sig art by rogueusmc
VSWG

Post by VSWG »

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

As a side note i'd let him land on the west coast. if he does you get all those national guard units and then he is realy screwed.
There are no US national guard units. A Japanese invasion of the West Coast simply accelerates all US reinforcements (troops and planes) by 6 months. ADavidB has tested this here:

tm.asp?m=1190457

Another 'Must Read' thread, BTW... [;)]
bobogoboom

Post by bobogoboom »

Same diff still screws the ijn player.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Sig art by rogueusmc

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”