Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

About boardgames

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> About boardgames Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
About boardgames - 9/11/2007 1:30:46 PM   
JudgeDredd

There's been some talk on this forum about board games and I would like to ask a question...

I love board games, although I haven't played probably since I got a computer and found strategy games..and the main reason was a lack of people locally who were interested in them.

The games I currently have stored in the loft (Red Storm Rising, A Line in the Sand and The Hunt for Red October) are NOT single player games. Red Storm Rising was a blast, but it kind of gave took away from the game that you knew the strength of the opposing units (to a degree)...A Line in the Sand had potential, but there was a political level that really should be played and The Hunt for Red October? Well not really a hunt...

So, question is, are there/were there any single player board games? I'd like to buy a new one and spend some time with it....what about ASL Starter Kit #1 (Infantry)? £17.99...worth it?

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!
Post #: 1
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 1:44:29 PM   
Adam Parker

Judge, there is a Solitaire ASL 2nd edition IIRC too .

In my collection I also have the old Avalon Hill pure solitaire titles: Pattons Best, B17 (which I picked up 2nd hand 2 years ago) and London's Burning.

Look also for "Raid on St. Nazaire".

Matrix's "Band of Heroes" plays superbly solitaire though Mark Walker does need to clarify some rules and the game is info-counter heavy. Recommend it highly.

But really, any board game can be solitaired - for example, GMT's "Here I Stand" is a 7 player game just released with a 2-player rule set - boom! Quasi-solitaire! I am still though genuinely trying to work out a solo system for Diplomacy.

I think it all depends on how much table space do you have and what rules take your fancy.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 1:46:26 PM   
HansBolter

The other thread on boargames also brought to light a few dedicated solitaire ones.

The ones that come to mind that I own or have played are:

East Front Solitaire - I think this was by GMT games, not sure (nope Omega games, found it on the list at the bottom) - It uses a point to point movement system
Raid on St. Nazaire - Avalon Hill - Squad level commando raid - great fun
Ambush - Victory Games Ambush had several expansion modules one was Purple Heart, can't remember the other. Infantry game.
Ambush had a sequal that was for tanks but I can't remember the name..might have been Move Out..or that may have been one of the Ambush expansions, I'll dig it off the dusty shelf tonight and let you know tomorow.
Tokyo Express - Victory Games - Great individual ship depiction of tactictal battles in Iron Bottom Sound

Many two player boardgames can be played solitaire as long as there are no game mechanisms for hidden units or plotted arttillery fire or the like, but they are't as mcuh fun as playing against some one.

Take a stroll through this list:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortby=rank&categoryid=49

While I don't agree with their rankings it is a pretty damn comprehensive list of classic board wargames.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 9/11/2007 1:58:48 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 2:16:10 PM   
JudgeDredd

Thanks both.

Looking through Boardgamegeek now....will need to find a UK supplier though!

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 2:37:04 PM   
JudgeDredd

What about Axis and Allies?

There looks like a lot of "addons" for it...could get expensive...anyone got experience playing it?

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 2:55:29 PM   
HansBolter

I have only limited experience with it in it's early form.

As I recall it is a beer and pretzels area movement game with plastic miniatures.

The kind of game you pull out for everyone to play when nonwargaming realatives are staying over and compromise your regular hard core wargame night.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 2:56:56 PM   
JudgeDredd

Risk like?

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 3:05:01 PM   
Sarge

Forget Axis & Allies miniatures , if your looking for a miniatures board game with out the expense and mess games like Flame of War look into Tide Of Iron , A fantastic miniature game right out of box .

**Tide Of Iron**

Tide Of Iron is a blast even for the adult gamer , not to mention it gives Memoir 44 a black eye

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 3:08:27 PM   
Sarge

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 9
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 3:15:39 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Risk like?

IIRC yes

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 7:11:49 PM   
TheHellPatrol

Don't overlook the Panzer Grenadier series by Avalanche Press, i own them all and game solitare exclusively. Alot of games these days use "chit-pull" mechanics for single player purposes, another great example is Iron Tide:Panzers in the Ardennes...superb. I have gone back to boardgaming because i'm sick and tired of relying on patches for the patches etc.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 11
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 8:15:12 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

Don't overlook the Panzer Grenadier series by Avalanche Press, i own them all and game solitare exclusively. Alot of games these days use "chit-pull" mechanics for single player purposes, another great example is Iron Tide:Panzers in the Ardennes...superb. I have gone back to boardgaming because i'm sick and tired of relying on patches for the patches etc.

Actually, this isn't a phenom soley indeginous to computer games.

Anyone who subscribed to Strategy & Tactic magazine, published by Simulations Publications Incorporated, and eagerly awaited the monthly "magazine with a game in it" experienced this as well.

I can't remember how many times I invested the time and effort into cutting out and trimming the counters and reading the rules only to discover the game they literally threw together in a month's time was completely unplayable until they published 3 pages of errata three months later.

The old "half assed product goes out the door to the customer because of the print deadline" has actually been with us for a lot longer than computers have.

My buddies and I routinely referred to it as "SPI Madness" and, sadly, always ranked SPI games as amatuerish when compared to the polished products published by Avalon Hill.

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 12
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 8:55:03 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Agreed, let's say i just wanted to broaden my choices.

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 13
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 10:55:32 PM   
ezz

Pattons Best {ah}  M4 tank combat
Silent War  {compass} The submarine war against japan
Hornet Leader {gmt} F18 air/ground combat
Battle Hymn {VG} Ambush in the pacific
Blackbeard {AH} Pirates

But St Nazaire is still the best

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 14
RE: About boardgames - 9/11/2007 11:25:56 PM   
Rainbow

There are many many solitaire boardgames out there.  This list is nearly comprehensive, but note that not all are wargames:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11710

I'm quite partial to Luftschiff, which is a fantastic simulation of airships in world war 1.  But games like Raid on St. Nazaire, Ambush, Patton's Best, B-17 Queen of the Skies ... are all good.  If you like science or history, then Age of Exploration, American Megafauna, and Liftoff! are all great multiplayer games with solitaire variants built right in.

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to ezz)
Post #: 15
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 12:09:31 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Matrix's "Band of Heroes" plays superbly solitaire though Mark Walker does need to clarify some rules and the game is info-counter heavy. Recommend it highly.

That game is showing as discontinued by Matrix

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 16
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 12:25:31 AM   
JudgeDredd

LMAO...I've just went up in the loft and discovered I have
A Line in the Sand
Europe Aflame
The Hunt for Red October

all by a company called TSR. Just looked them up on boardgamegeek.com and they are all about 5.8 rated!!

Oh dear. Looks like my boardgame choices in the early nineties left alot to be desired!

Although I thought The Hunt for Red October was a great game...albeit a bit hard to play on your own.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 17
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 1:58:00 AM   
Rainbow

quote:

they are all about 5.8 rated!!

5.8 is a tad low, but the average tends to be around 7 on BGG, so 5.8 isn't horrific.

To push Luftschiff a bit more, I love the company, Sierra Madre Games ( http://www.sierramadregames.com ). The designer, Phil Eklund, designs incredibly deep and educational games. You've never understood evolution until you've played American Megafauna. And the futility of battles with Zeppelins is felt throughout Luftschiff. I reviewed the game over on BGG,
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/118558

And I wrote a session report on one of the scenarios as well,
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128385

Not to mention that the expansion game has the best title given to any product ever on this earth: Riesenflugzeugabteilungen.

< Message edited by Rainbow -- 9/12/2007 2:00:15 AM >

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 3:23:59 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

quote:

That game is showing as discontinued by Matrix
Mark went "solo"...they're at www.locknloadgame.com , alot of cool stuff on the horizon of which i have pre-ordered 95% of.

Check out Totensonntag at locknload, it looks very cool.

< Message edited by TheHellPatrol -- 9/12/2007 3:28:57 AM >

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 19
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 3:42:37 AM   
Son_of_Montfort

quote:

all by a company called TSR.

Only one of the most prolific and megalithic companies of the early board gaming, pen-n-paper gaming era. They were the long-time owners of Dungeons&Dragons before Wizards of the Coast stole the Scepter of Ultimate Power(TM) and took over the boardgame/roleplaying universe.

I seem to remember Hunt for Red October. Never remember playing it, but a friend had it. Of course I might be confusing it for the early PC game, which was so dang frustrating that you couldn't believe. Kinda like the Cardinal and the Kremlin PC game...

Eeek...

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 20
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 1:37:36 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

quote:

all by a company called TSR.

Only one of the most prolific and megalithic companies of the early board gaming, pen-n-paper gaming era. They were the long-time owners of Dungeons&Dragons before Wizards of the Coast stole the Scepter of Ultimate Power(TM) and took over the boardgame/roleplaying universe.

I seem to remember Hunt for Red October. Never remember playing it, but a friend had it. Of course I might be confusing it for the early PC game, which was so dang frustrating that you couldn't believe. Kinda like the Cardinal and the Kremlin PC game...

Eeek...

SoM

Didn't TSR also take over many SPI titles when SPI imploded? I seem to recall a few SPI designed games under the TSR moniker on my shelves.

I seem to have vague recollections of HFRO also.....did it use cards in stands that allowed only the controlling side to see the faces of the cards, or am I confusing it with Europe Aflame?

I checked the Ambush series games on my shelf last night and the Tank version was called Open Fire!, Move Out was an Ambush expansion module.

(in reply to Son_of_Montfort)
Post #: 21
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 2:00:49 PM   
JudgeDredd

I think TSR games (or certainly the ones I have and had (sold at a car boot ) were beer and pretzels games...certainly looking at the rule books last night, they were pretty thin and easy to read/implement.

The Hunt for Red October did have plastic stands that you put the ships into so only you could see your units (as did Europe Aflame, Red Storm Rising and A Line in the Sand). All the aircraft counters were flat though.

I'm sad I don't have the Red Storm Rising game anymore though, 'cos I did have many hours of enjoyment out of that one.

I had another one call MBT...Avalon Hill? But the rule book was way too intricate for me, which is why I think I switched to TSR games. Light on rules and heavy on fun, from what I recall.

I've told the wife to clear the dining table...

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 22
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 2:04:44 PM   
JudgeDredd

The Hunt for Red October
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2903
Red Storm Rising
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3707
A Line in the Sand
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2061
Main Battle Tank
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3710
Europe Aflame
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5882

Brings back some pre-computer memories!!

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 3:41:40 PM   
Barthheart

A Line in the Sand is a great game if you can get six players and use all the optional rules. My gaming buddies and I played this for 2 1/2 days. The diplomatic pouch idea for passing notes between players was great because we all got into character. You could use points to read old messages from other players.

The US and Isreal even had nukes! Great way to start a Jihad against you!

The end result of the game was no one won. This made some of the guys so mad that to this day they refuse to play it again.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 9:43:35 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Looks like Memoir 44, but with more miniatures. And in what respect does it give Mem44 a "black eye" Is is more realistic?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Forget Axis & Allies miniatures , if your looking for a miniatures board game with out the expense and mess games like Flame of War look into Tide Of Iron , A fantastic miniature game right out of box .

**Tide Of Iron**

Tide Of Iron is a blast even for the adult gamer , not to mention it gives Memoir 44 a black eye

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 25
RE: About boardgames - 9/12/2007 9:46:28 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Aye Hans, how true, but some weren't that bad ( I think of a few, the East is Red, and that South African one)
Still, got a box full of em somewhere...MAde for decent adolescent reading.
quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheHellPatrol

Anyone who subscribed to Strategy & Tactic magazine, published by Simulations Publications Incorporated, and eagerly awaited the monthly "magazine with a game in it" experienced this as well.

I can't remember how many times I invested the time and effort into cutting out and trimming the counters and reading the rules only to discover the game they literally threw together in a month's time was completely unplayable until they published 3 pages of errata three months later.

The old "half assed product goes out the door to the customer because of the print deadline" has actually been with us for a lot longer than computers have.

My buddies and I routinely referred to it as "SPI Madness" and, sadly, always ranked SPI games as amatuerish when compared to the polished products published by Avalon Hill.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 26
RE: About boardgames - 9/13/2007 1:32:15 AM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

A Line in the Sand is a great game if you can get six players and use all the optional rules. My gaming buddies and I played this for 2 1/2 days. The diplomatic pouch idea for passing notes between players was great because we all got into character. You could use points to read old messages from other players.

The US and Isreal even had nukes! Great way to start a Jihad against you!

The end result of the game was no one won. This made some of the guys so mad that to this day they refuse to play it again.

Agreed totally! With a group of people willing to really get in to it, that game can be an absolute blast. Nothing like really revving in to a big, fiery speech about the Great Satan.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 27
RE: About boardgames - 9/13/2007 7:48:59 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

Looks like Memoir 44, but with more miniatures. And in what respect does it give Mem44 a "black eye" Is is more realistic?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

**Tide Of Iron**

Think of it like SL vs ASL, one game is simple anyone can get into it and it's fun, even kids like to play it (Memoirs), then bring in the complex one that only grogs like to play where you have 10000 rules you have to keep up with (exaggerated of course) and you have Tide of Iron. It's just more of the same as Memoirs and more means more time rereading the rules, comprehending the rules and implementing the rules correctly. For the 12-13 year old get them MEMOIRS, for the old man who knows everything about board wargames since he was in diapers get Tide of Iron. ;)

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 28
RE: About boardgames - 9/13/2007 9:09:48 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Thanks Ravin, excellent comparison. I'll be getting T.O.I. for myself, then.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 29
RE: About boardgames - 9/14/2007 1:33:28 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

This is probable the best way to get a idea of game play
Adobe Acrobat PDF format Rules set

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> About boardgames Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI