Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Return to Base in v1.01

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Return to Base in v1.01 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Return to Base in v1.01 - 8/23/2007 2:43:50 PM   
Szilard

Ships usually only seem to stay out for one turn now, regardless of hown many naval points you have and damage status.

This is a big PITA.
Post #: 1
RE: Return to Base in v1.01 - 8/23/2007 4:35:54 PM   
ceyan

My ships stay out with no problems, even when damaged. My problem is that I still get ships being forced into the North Sea out of the Canal, rather than straight into the Baltic.

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 2
RE: Return to Base in v1.01 - 8/23/2007 4:48:55 PM   
hjaco

Check my thread on naval endurance - if down to 1 they will return. Otherwise something is apparently rather fishy out there.

That rebase bug will be corrected in the final version of patch 1.1.

(in reply to ceyan)
Post #: 3
RE: Return to Base in v1.01 - 8/24/2007 4:50:33 AM   
Szilard

quote:

ORIGINAL: hjaco

Check my thread on naval endurance - if down to 1 they will return. Otherwise something is apparently rather fishy out there.

That rebase bug will be corrected in the final version of patch 1.1.

Thanks for that. Two things:

- Endurance is anyway a PITA. IMO it'd be much better to just spend points automatically for keeping ships at sea. Cycling yr ships in and out of port is just annoying micromanagement overhead with a fun quotient of zero.
- I think there might be a bug with it - has this been pointed out? Eg my destroyers seem to be able to spend only one turn out of port, regardless of "endurance".

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 4
RE: Return to Base in v1.01 - 8/24/2007 5:46:16 AM   
SMK-at-work

Return to port is quite important/vital for destroyers tho - since it means you can only have so many out on patrol at one time.  If they stayed out indefinitly it would be a massive increase in allied ASW capability that would upset the current balance.

I agree it's a pita, but it is a necessary pita IMO - one that forces you to make some decisions about resources - will you spend points building more destroyers to help keep the sealanes safe......or on more troops.......??

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 5
RE: Return to Base in v1.01 - 8/24/2007 6:13:14 AM   
Szilard

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

Return to port is quite important/vital for destroyers tho - since it means you can only have so many out on patrol at one time.  If they stayed out indefinitly it would be a massive increase in allied ASW capability that would upset the current balance.

I agree it's a pita, but it is a necessary pita IMO - one that forces you to make some decisions about resources - will you spend points building more destroyers to help keep the sealanes safe......or on more troops.......??

Yeah, but couldn't you just abstract that into an ASW capability lower than individual destroyers have at the moment?

If the model stays the way it is now, I think there should at least be a better planning screen - eg a screen showing all the locations with the ships in them & remaining endurance. At the moment, you have to look at all the individual ships to work out where they are, what they're doing, how much endurance they have etc ... nasty.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 6
RE: Return to Base in v1.01 - 8/24/2007 6:29:09 AM   
SMK-at-work

I agree a better screen presenting relevant info would be nice...maybe in the 2nd patch! :)

but changing the ASW capability of destroyers makes some fundamental changes to the balance - you can no longer "surge" your destroyers if yuo want to by putting them all on station for a short but intense campaign for example.

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 8/24/2007 6:30:55 AM >

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Return to Base in v1.01 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI